This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Objectives: To investigate the use of alternative drugs for the climacteric in Finland, which products are used, and who are the women using them. Methods: The study was based on a population-based survey conducted in 1989 among 2000 Finnish women aged 45–64 (response rate 86%). Results: 11% of the women reported the use of alternative drugs for the climacteric. Food supplements and bee products were the most common types of alternative drugs used. Some of them may have allergic or other side effects. Users differ little from other women judging by health habits and the utilization of health care services. The best predictors for alternative drug use were urban residence, more than 9 years of general education, and among 50–54-year olds, the use of prescription or OTC drugs for menopause. Over half of the users of alternative drugs had also used hormone therapy. Conclusions: Women using alternative drugs during and after the climacteric represent a large group. More information is needed about the clinical effects of alternative drugs, and the characteristics of alternative drug users.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The harmful potential of herbal and other plant products.Drug Safety. 1990; 5: 126-136
- 1 st ed. Adverse Effects of Herbal Drugs. Vol. 1–2. Springer-Verlag, Berlin1993
- Rapidy progressive interstitial renal fibrosis in young women: association with slimming regimen including Chinese herbs.Lancet. 1993; 341: 387-391
- Luonnonlääkkeiden käyttö Suomessa.in: Koskela K Vaskilampi T Vartiainen E Meriläinen P Viinamäki H Mäntyranta T Vaihtoehtolääkintä Suomessa 1982–1992. Alternative medicine in Finland 1982–19921 st ed. Selvityksiä 1993. 3. Ministry of Social Welfare and Health, Helsinki1993
- Yhteiskuntatieteellisen tutkimuksen ja mainonnan antama kuva luonnonlääkkeiden käytöstä ja käyttöaiheista Suomessa.Farm Aikak-DOSIS. 1993; 9: 53-61
- Ketkä Suomessa käyttävät erityisvalmisteita.Suom Lääkäril. 1996; 51: 1989-1994
- Lewith G Aldridge D Complementary Medicine and the European Community. The CW Daniel Company Ltd, Saffron Walden1991
- The Menopause Self Help Book. Celestial Arts, Berkley, California1990 1 st ed.
- Menopause without medicine.Thorsons, London1990
- Intérêt d'une supplémentation on micronutriments pour la prévention ou la correction des trobles accompagnant la ménopause.Rev Fr Gynécol Obstet. 1990; 85: 702-705
- The menopause, hormone therapy and women's health. Vol. OTA-BP-BA-88. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC1992 1 st ed.
- Hot flashes: phenomenology, quality of life, and search for treatment options.Exp Gerontol. 1994; 29: 319-336
- Use of hormone replacement therapy in 1976–1989 by 45–64 year old Finnish women.J Epidemiol Community Health. 1991; 45: 227-280
- Is menopause withering away?.J Biosoc Sci. 1995; 27: 267-276
- Effect of calcium and cholecalciferol treatment for three years on hip fractures in elderly women.Br Med J. 1994; 308: 1081-1082
- Vitamin D.Lancet. 1995; 345: 104-107
- Effect of oral gamolenic acid from evening primrose oil on menopausal flushing.Br Med J. 1994; 308: 501-503
- Potential risk of prolonged gamma-linolenic acid use (letter).Ann Intern Med. 1994; 120: 692
- Commonly occurring plant flavonoids have estrogenic activity.Mol Pharmacol. 1992; 44: 37-43
- Dietary phyto-oestrogens and the menopause in Japan (letter).Lancet. 1992; 339: 1233
- Oestrogen-like effect of ginseng (letter).Br Med J. 1980; 281: 1110
- What pharmacists should know about ginseng.Pharm J. 1986; 234: 583-586
- Fatal royal jelly-induced asthma (letter).Med J Aust. 1994; 160: 44
- A survey on the use of alternative drugs during pregnancy.Scand J Soc Med. 1991; 19: 199-204
- Use of estrogens among middle-aged Massachusetts women.DICP Ann Pharmacother. 1989; 25: 418-423
- Healthism and the medicalization of everyday life.Int J Health Serv. 1987; 10: 365-387
Accepted: January 3, 1997
Received in revised form: December 16, 1996
Received: July 16, 1996
© 1997 Published by Elsevier Inc.