- •Advanced paternal age is associated with reduced longevity of male offspring.
- •Using an ancient genealogical data set, from a period lacking the dietary and health advantages of modern society, paternal reproductive age of more than 35 years was seen to be associated with reduced life expectancy of male offspring.
- •Older sons had a significantly lower risk of a reduced lifespan than their younger brothers, whose father would have been older at the time of conception.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Parental age and birth defects: a sibling study.Eur. J. Epidemiol. 2021; 36: 849-860
- Association of paternal age with perinatal outcomes between 2007 and 2016 in the United States: population based cohort study.BMJ (Clin. Res. Ed.). 2018; 363k4372
- Maternal infection can cause spontaneous abortion.CMAJ. 2017; 189: E1021
- Risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes at advanced maternal age.Obstet. Gynecol. 2018; 131: 457-463
- Advanced paternal age is associated with an increased risk of spontaneous miscarriage: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Hum. Reprod. Update. 2020; 26: 650-669
- Advanced paternal age and risk of schizophrenia in offspring - review of epidemiological findings and potential mechanisms.Schizophr. Res. 2021; 233: 72-79
- Is advanced paternal age a health risk for the offspring?.Fertil. Steril. 2017; 107: 312-318
- Sex-specific pathways of parental age effects on offspring lifetime reproductive success in a long-lived seabird.Evolution. 2015; 69: 1760-1771
- Advanced paternal age and risk of cancer in offspring.Aging. 2020; 13: 3712-3725
- Older fathers' children have lower evolutionary fitness across four centuries and in four populations.Proc. Biol. Sci. 2017; 284
- Paternal age at childbirth and eating disorders in offspring.Psychol. Med. 2017; 47: 576-584
- Intergenerational transfer of ageing: parental age and offspring lifespan.Trends Ecol. Evol. 2020; 35: 927-937
- Experimental demonstration that offspring fathered by old males have shorter telomeres and reduced lifespans.Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 2018; 285
- Effects of advanced paternal age on trajectories of social behavior in offspring.Genes Brain Behav. 2015; 14: 443-453
- Delayed fatherhood in mice decreases reproductive fitness and longevity of offspring.Biol. Reprod. 2009; 80: 343-349
- Epigenetic alterations in longevity regulators, reduced life span, and exacerbated aging-related pathology in old father offspring mice.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2018; 115: E2348-E2357
- Effects of increased paternal age on sperm quality, reproductive outcome and associated epigenetic risks to offspring.Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol. 2015; 13: 35
- Age-related sperm DNA methylation changes are transmitted to offspring and associated with abnormal behavior and dysregulated gene expression.Mol. Psychiatry. 2015; 20: 995-1001
- Age-associated sperm DNA methylation patterns do not directly persist trans-generationally.Epigenetics Chromatin. 2019; 12: 74
- Rate of de novo mutations and the importance of father's age to disease risk.Nature. 2012; 488: 471-475
- The Historical Geography Research About Hefei County in the Qing Dynasty.Anhui University, 2013
- Associations of parental age with offspring all-cause and cause-specific adult mortality.Sci. Rep. 2019; 9: 17097
- Statement on guidance for genetic counseling in advanced paternal age.Genet. Med. 2008; 10: 457-460