- •Living arrangements in old age are an important determinant of health in Chinese older adults, particularly those who are at risk of falls.
- •Older adults living alone who fall tend to report functional limitations and depressive symptoms.
- •Functional limitations mediate the association between falls and depressive symptoms among Chinese older adults.
Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prevalence, risk factors and disability associated with fall-related injury in older adults in low- and middle-income countries: results from the WHO Study on global AGEing and adult health (SAGE).BMC Med. 2015; 13: 147https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-015-0390-8
- Falls incidence, risk factors, and consequences in chinese older people: a systematic review.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2011; 59: 536-543https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03286.x
- Incidence, risk factors and economic burden of fall-related injuries in older Chinese people: a systematic review.Inj. Prev. 2019; 25: 4-12https://doi.org/10.1136/injuryprev-2018-042982
- Life-space mobility declines associated with incident falls and fractures.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2014; 62: 919-923https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.12787
- Fall risk in Chinese community-dwelling older adults: a physiological profile assessment study.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2016; 16: 259-265https://doi.org/10.1111/ggi.12463
- Association between activities of daily living disability and depression symptoms of middle-aged and older Chinese adults and their spouses: a community based study.J. Affect. Disord. 2019; 242: 135-142https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2018.08.060
- The complex interplay of depression and falls in older adults: a clinical review.Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2013; 21: 484-492https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2013.01.008
- The relationship between depression and fear of falling in older adults referred to Rasht comprehensive health centers.Jundishapur J. Chronic Dis. Care. 2020; 9https://doi.org/10.5812/jjcdc.101944
- Fear of falling and activities of daily living function: mediation effect of dual-task ability.Aging Ment. Health. 2018; 22: 856-861https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2017.1318257
- The prevalence, circumstances and consequences of unintentional falls among elderly iranians: a population study.Arch. Gerontol. Geriatr. 2018; 79: 123-130https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2018.08.001
- Living alone with dementia: prevalence, correlates and the utilization of health and nursing care services.J. Alzheimers Dis. 2016; 52: 619-629https://doi.org/10.3233/JAD-151058
- Health behaviors influencing depressive symptoms in older Koreans living alone: secondary data analysis of the 2014 Korean longitudinal study of aging.BMC Geriatr. 2016; 22: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2016.1191060
- Older people living alone in Shanghai: a questionnaire survey of their life experience.Health Soc. Care Community. 2019; 27: 260-269https://doi.org/10.1111/hsc.12648
- Living alone and depression in Chinese older adults.Aging Ment. Health. 2006; 10: 583-591https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860600641150
- Adult attachment, perceived support, and depressive symptoms in Chinese and American cultures.J. Soc. Clin. Psychol. 2010; 29: 144-165https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.2010.29.2.144
- The effect of living alone on the costs and benefits of surgery amongst older people.Soc Sci Med. 2016; 150: 95-103https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.11.053
- Experiences of older men living alone: a qualitative study.Issues Ment. Health Nurs. 2016; 37: 113-120https://doi.org/10.3109/01612840.2015.1098759
- Chinese older adults' resilience to the loneliness of living alone: a qualitative study.Aging Ment. Health. 2012; 16: 1039-1046https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2012.692764
- Are elderly people living alone an at risk group?.BMJ. 1992; 305: 1001-1004https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.305.6860.1001
- Impact of family characteristics by marital status of cohabitating adult children on depression among Korean older adults.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2017; 17: 2527-2536https://doi.org/10.1111/ggi.13066
- Study of the senile living alone in Shanghai.S. Chin. Popul. 2010; 25: 24-31https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1004-1613.2010.05.004
- Cohort profile: the China health and retirement longitudinal study (CHARLS).Int. J. Epidemiol. 2014; 43: 61-68https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dys203
- Physical function limitations among middle-aged and older adults with prediabetes: one exercise prescription may not fit all.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 3076-3083https://doi.org/10.2337/dc13-0412
- Factorial validity of the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale short form in an older population in China.Int. Psychogeriatr. 2014; 26: 49-57https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610213001701
- An index and test of linear moderated mediation.Multivar. Behav. Res. 2015; 50: 1-22https://doi.org/10.1080/00273171.2014.962683
- Frailty as a risk factor for falls among community dwelling people: evidence from a meta-analysis.J. Nurs. Scholarsh. 2017; 49: 529-536https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12322
- A systematic review of nursing contributions to mobility rehabilitation: examining the quality and content of the evidence.J. Clin. Nurs. 2007; 16: 325-340https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02000.x
- Impact of fear of falling for patients and caregivers: perceptions before and after participation in vestibular and balance rehabilitation therapy.Am. J. Audiol. 2014; 23: 20-33https://doi.org/10.1044/1059-0889(2013/12-0074)
- Caregivers of stroke patient family members: behavioral and attitudinal indicators of overprotective care.Psychol. Health. 2002; 17: 297-312https://doi.org/10.1080/08870440290029557
- I should be doing more for my parent:" Chinese adult children's worry about performance in providing care for their oldest-old parents.Int. Psychogeriatr. 2016; 28: 303-315https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610215001726