- •Women with premature ovarian insufficiency tend to have lower bone mineral density.
- •Hormone therapy can improve the bone health of women with premature ovarian insufficiency.
- •Delay in the diagnosis can negatively influence treatment effectiveness in maintaining bone mass or restoring it to the normal range.
- •Higher doses of estrogen, with at least 2 mg estradiol or 1.25 mg conjugated equine estrogens, could better prevent bone loss in this population.
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:POI (premature ovarian insufficiency), HT (hormone therapy), BMD (bone mineral density), CEE (conjugated equine estrogens), EE (ethinylestradiol), COC (combined oral contraceptive)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- ESHRE guideline: management of women with premature ovarian insufficiency.Hum. Reprod. 2016; 31: 926-937https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/dew027
- Clinical practice. Primary ovarian insufficiency.N. Engl. J. Med. 2009; 360: 606-614https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMcp0808697
- Heart disease risk determines menopausal age rather than the reverse.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2006; 47: 1976-1983https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2005.12.066
- Hormone therapy in primary ovarian insufficiency.Obstet. Gynecol. 2017; 129: e134-e141https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000002044
- 2005: 373-379https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.2004.053553 Bone mass acquisition in healthy children.
- Hormone replacement therapy versus the combined oral contraceptive pill in premature ovarian failure: a randomized controlled trial of the effects on bone mineral density.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2016; 101: 3497-3505https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2015-4063
- Bone mineral density in young women with primary ovarian insufficiency: results of a three-year randomized controlled trial of physiological transdermal estradiol and testosterone replacement.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2014; 99: 3418-3426https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-4145
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.BMJ. 2009; 339: 332-336https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b2535
- The Cochrane collaboration's tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2011; 343: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d5928
- The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for Assessing the Quality of Nonrandomized Studies in Meta-analyses.Ottawa Hosp. Res. Institute, 2014
- Assessing the quality of studies in meta-analyses: advantages and limitations of the Newcastle Ottawa scale.World J. Meta-Anal. 2017; 5: 80https://doi.org/10.13105/wjma.v5.i4.80
- Chronic lack of sleep is associated with increased sports injury in adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Orthop. J. Sport. Med. 2019; 7 (2325967119S00132)https://doi.org/10.1177/2325967119S00132
- 25-hydroxyvitamin D and Total cancer incidence and mortality: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies.Nutrients. 2019; 11: 2295https://doi.org/10.3390/nu11102295
- Fertility desires, choice of hormone replacement and the effect of length of time since menopause on bone density in women with premature ovarian insufficiency: a review of 223 consecutive new referrals to a tertiary centre., post.Reprod. Heal. 2014; 20: 104-111https://doi.org/10.1177/2053369114539151
- Women with primary ovarian insufficiency have lower bone mineral density.Braz. J. Med. Biol. Res. 2011; 44: 78-83
- Physiological versus standard sex steroid replacement in young women with premature ovarian failure: effects on bone mass acquisition and turnover.Clin. Endocrinol. 2010; 73: 707-714https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2010.03868.x
- What is really responsible for bone loss in spontaneous premature ovarian failure? A new enigma.Gynecol. Endocrinol. 2010; 26: 755-759https://doi.org/10.3109/09513590.2010.487599
- Impact of hormonal replacement therapy on bone mineral density in premature ovarian insufficiency patients.J. Clin. Med. 2020; 9https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm9123961
- Bone mass in women with premature ovarian insufficiency: a comparative study between hormone therapy and combined oral contraceptives.Menopause. 2020; 27: 1110-1116https://doi.org/10.1097/GME.0000000000001592
- Bone mineral density in estrogen-deficient young women.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2009; 94: 2277-2283https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2008-1878
- Bone loss in young women with premature ovarian failure.Arch. Gynecol. Obstet. 2005; 273: 17-19https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-005-0029-7
- Hypergonadotropic hypogonadic amenorrhea (World Health Organization III) and osteoporosis.Fertil. Steril. 1992; 57: 37-41
- A study of premature ovarian failure in Turkish women.Gynecol. Endocrinol. Off. J. Int. Soc. Gynecol. Endocrinol. 1995; 9: 283-287https://doi.org/10.3109/09513599509160460
- Evaluation and management of primary ovarian insufficiency in adolescents and young adults.J. Pediatr. Adolesc. Gynecol. 2018; 31: 13-18https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2017.07.005
- Standard hormone therapy is inadequate for bone density in premature ovarian insufficiency.Gynecol. Endocrinol. 2017; 33: 283-286https://doi.org/10.1080/09513590.2016.1257602
- Poor compliance to hormone therapy and decreased bone mineral density in women with premature ovarian insufficiency.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0164638https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0164638
- Long-term follow-up of bone density in women with primary ovarian insufficiency.Menopause. 2015; 22: 946-949https://doi.org/10.1097/GME.0000000000000445
- Prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 2014; 142: 155-170https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsbmb.2013.09.008
- The role of DXA bone density scans in the diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis.Postgrad. Med. J. 2007; 83: 509-517https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.2007.057505
- Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: principal results from the women's health initiative randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2002; 288: 321-333
- Postmenopausal hormone therapy and risk of cardiovascular disease by age and years since menopause.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2007; 297: 1465-1477https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.297.13.1465
- HRT for women with premature ovarian insufficiency: a comprehensive review.Hum. Reprod. Open. 2017; 2017hox007https://doi.org/10.1093/hropen/hox007
- Premature ovarian failure.Hum. Reprod. Update. 2005; 11: 391-410https://doi.org/10.1093/humupd/dmi012
- Premature ovarian insufficiency: a toolkit for the primary care physician.Maturitas. 2021; 147: 53-63https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2020.11.004
- Premature ovarian insufficiency: an international menopause society white paper.Climacteric. 2020; 23: 426-446https://doi.org/10.1080/13697137.2020.1804547