- •This study investigated whether the use of menopausal hormone therapy is associated with the risks of gastric and colorectal cancer in Korean women using the National Health Insurance Service–National Sample Cohort (NHIS-NSC) version 2.0.
- •The use of estrogen replacement therapy was inversely associated with risks of gastric and colorectal cancer.
- •Our findings may support the protective association between estrogen and gastric and colorectal cancer in Korean women.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology of gastric cancer: global trends, risk factors and prevention.Prz Gastroenterol. 2019; 14: 26-38
- Epidemiology of colorectal cancer: incidence, mortality, survival, and risk factors.Prz Gastroenterol. 2019; 14: 89-103
- R. Community of population-based regional cancer, cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality, survival, and prevalence in 2017.Cancer Res. Treat. 2020; 52: 335-350
- Molecular pathways: estrogen pathway in colorectal cancer.Clin. Cancer Res. 2013; 19: 5842-5848
- Delayed rise in incidence of gastric cancer in females results in unique sex ratio (M/F) pattern: etiologic hypothesis.Gastric Cancer. 2002; 5: 213-219
- Sex hormones, hormonal interventions, and gastric cancer risk: a meta-analysis.Cancer Epidemiol. Biomark. Prev. 2012; 21: 20-38
- The effect of estrogen vs. combined estrogen-progestogen therapy on the risk of colorectal cancer.Int. J. Cancer. 2012; 130: 419-430
- Postmenopausal hormone therapy and the risk of colorectal cancer: a review and meta-analysis.Am. J. Med. 1999; 106: 574-582
- A meta-analysis of hormone replacement therapy and colon cancer in women.Cancer Epidemiol. Biomark. Prev. 1998; 7: 653-659
- Menopausal hormone therapy and risk of gastrointestinal cancer: nested case-control study within a prospective cohort, and meta-analysis.Int. J. Cancer. 2012; 130: 2387-2396
- Menopausal hormone therapy and the risk of esophageal and gastric cancer.Int. J. Cancer. 2017; 140: 1693-1699
- Menopausal hormone therapy and cancer risk: an overestimated risk?.Eur. J. Cancer. 2017; 84: 60-68
- Evaluation of menopausal hormone therapy use in Korea (2002–2013): a nationwide cohort study.Maturitas. 2021; 146: 57-62
- The national use of hormonal therapy in postmenopausal women in 2010.J. Korean Soc. Menopause. 2011; 17: 150-154
- Reproductive factors, hormone use and gastric cancer risk: the Singapore Chinese Health Study.Int. J. Cancer. 2016; 138: 2837-2845
- Menstrual and reproductive factors and gastric cancer risk in a large prospective study of women.Gut. 2007; 56: 1671-1677
- Female reproductive factors and the risk of gastric cancer in a large-scale population-based cohort study in Japan (JPHC study).Eur. J. Cancer Prev. 2008; 17: 345-353
- Reproductive factors, obesity and risk of colorectal cancer in a cohort of Asian women.Cancer Epidemiol. 2019; 58: 33-43
- The effect of menopausal hormone therapy on gastrointestinal cancer risk and mortality in South Korea: a population-based cohort study.BMC Gastroenterol. 2021; 21: 440
- Cohort profile: the National Health Insurance Service-National Sample Cohort (NHIS-NSC), South Korea.Int. J. Epidemiol. 2017; 46e15
- WHOCC-ATC/DDD index.(Accessed 2020.)
- Updated treatment guideline for hormone therapy in postmenopausal women.J. Korean Med. Assoc. 2019; 62: 145-149
- Association between sedative-hypnotic medication use and incidence of cancer in Korean Nation Health Insurance Service data.Sleep Med. 2019; 60: 159-164
- Immortal time bias in observational studies of drug effects.Pharmacoepidemiol. Drug Saf. 2007; 16: 241-249
- Time-dependent study entries and exposures in cohort studies can easily be sources of different and avoidable types of bias.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2012; 65: 1171-1180
- Time-related biases in pharmacoepidemiology.Pharmacoepidemiol. Drug Saf. 2020; 29: 1101-1110
- Menstrual and reproductive factors, exogenous hormone use, and gastric cancer risk in a cohort of women from the European Prospective Investigation Into Cancer and Nutrition.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2010; 172: 1384-1393
- Menstrual and reproductive risk factors and risk for gastric adenocarcinoma in women: findings from the Canadian national enhanced cancer surveillance system.Ann. Epidemiol. 2006; 16: 908-916
- The effects of tibolone in older postmenopausal women.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 359: 697-708
- Effects of menopausal hormone therapy on cardiovascular diseases and type 2 diabetes in middle-aged postmenopausal women: analysis of the Korea National Health Insurance Service Database.Menopause. 2021; 28: 1225-1232
- Trefoil factors: initiators of mucosal healing.Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2003; 4: 721-732
- Insulin, insulin-like growth factor-I, endogenous estradiol, and risk of colorectal cancer in postmenopausal women.Cancer Res. 2008; 68: 329-337
- The incident user design in comparative effectiveness research.Pharmacoepidemiol. Drug Saf. 2013; 22: 1-6