- •Dual sensory impairment (impairment of vision and hearing) predicts reduced life-space mobility.
- •It may reduce life-space mobility and limit instrumental daily living activities.
- •It may limit cognitive, social, and productive activities.
- •Active life in older adults can be maintained with the early evaluation and treatment of dual sensory impairment.
Main outcome measure
Abbreviations:ADL (activities of daily living), BMI (body mass index), CI (confidence interval), DSI (dual sensory impairment), GDS (Geriatric Depression Scale), HHIE-S (Hearing Handicap Inventory for the Elderly and Adults-Screening), HI (hearing impairment), MMSE (Mini-Mental State Examination), NSI (normal hearing and vision), OR (odds ratio), SSI (single sensory impairments), VI (visual impairment)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- International Population Reports, An Aging World.2016. 2015 US Government Publishing Office, 2016 (P95/16-91)
- Safe Listening Devices and Systems A WHO-ITU Standard.WHO, 2019
- World Report on Vision 2019.WHO, 2019 (P95/16-91)
- The prevalence of concurrent hearing and vision impairment in the United States.JAMA Intern. Med. 2013; 173: 312-313https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.1880
- Vision impairment and combined vision and hearing impairment predict cognitive and functional decline in older women.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2004; 52: 1996-2002https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52554.x
- Hearing impairment associated with depression in US adults, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005-2010.JAMA Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg. 2014; 140: 293-302https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoto.2014.42
- Impairments in hearing and vision impact on mortality in older people: the AGES-Reykjavik Study.Age Ageing. 2014; 43: 69-76https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/aft122
- Dual sensory impairment and perceived everyday discrimination in the United States.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2020; 138: 1227-1233https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2020.3982
- Visual impairment and falls in older adults- the Blue Mountains Eye Study.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 1998; 46: 58-64https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1998.tb01014.x
- Hearing as a predictor of falls and postural balance in older female twins.J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2009; 64: 312-317https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/gln015
- Self-reported hearing difficulties and changes in life-space mobility among community-dwelling older adults: a two-year follow-up study.BMC Geriatr. 2015; 15: 121https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-015-0119-8
- Measuring life-space mobility in community-dwelling older adults.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2003; 51: 1610-1614https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1532-5415.2003.51512.x
- The life space questionnaire: a measure of the extent of mobility of older adults.J. Appl. Gerontol. 2016; 18: 460-478https://doi.org/10.1177/073346489901800404
- Association between physical performance and sense of autonomy in outdoor activities and life-space mobility in community-dwelling older people.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2014; 62: 615-621https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.12763
- Trajectories of life-space mobility after hospitalization.Ann. Intern. Med. 2009; 150: 372-378https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-150-6-200903170-00005
- Life-space constriction, development of frailty, and the competing risk of mortality: the Women's Health And Aging Study I.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2008; 167: 240-248https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwm270
- Associations between active mobility index and disability.J. Am. Med. Dir. Assoc. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2021.08.036
- Tools for evaluation of restriction on auditory participation: systematic review of the literature.Codas. 2015; 27: 400-406https://doi.org/10.1590/2317-1782/20152015008
- Diagnostic performance of the hearing handicap inventory for the elderly (screening version) against differing definitions of hearing loss.Ear Hear. 1988; : 208-211https://doi.org/10.1097/00003446-198808000-00006
- Validation and reliability of the VF-14 questionnaire in a German population.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2011; 52: 8919-8926https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.11-7702
- The VF-14 an index of functional impairment in patients with cataract.Arch. Ophthalmol. 1994; 112: 630-638https://doi.org/10.1001/archopht.1994.01090170074026
- Reversible predictors of reversion from mild cognitive impairment to normal cognition: a 4-year longitudinal study.Alzheimers Res. Ther. 2019; 11: 24https://doi.org/10.1186/s13195-019-0480-5
- Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: a preliminary report.. 1982; 17: 37-49https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(82)90033-4
- "Mini-mental state", A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J. Psychiatr. Res. 1975; 12: 189-198https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(75)90026-6
- Cognitive tests to detect dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Intern. Med. 2015; 175: 1450-1458https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2015.2152
- Associations of sensory impairment and cognitive function in middle-aged and older Chinese population: the China Health and Retirement Longitudinal Study.J. Glob. Health. 2021; 1108008https://doi.org/10.7189/jogh.11.08008
- Subjective vision and hearing impairment and falls among community-dwelling adults: a prospective study in the Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE).Eur. Geriatr. Med. 2021; 12: 1031-1043https://doi.org/10.1007/s41999-021-00505-4
- Self-reported dual sensory impairment, dementia, and functional limitations in Medicare beneficiaries.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2021; 69: 3557-3567https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.17448
- Life consequences of hearing loss in terms of activity limitation and participation restriction.Scand. J. Disabil. Res. 2006; 8: 53-66https://doi.org/10.1080/15017410500300413
- Association of self-reported hearing difficulty to objective and perceived participation outside the home in older community-dwelling adults.J. Aging Health. 2015; 27: 103-122https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264314538662