- •The treatment for breast cancer can lead to treatment-induced menopausal symptoms which are often sudden and severe.
- •The Greene Climacteric Scale is a well-validated climacteric symptom measure for midlife women from the general population but its applicability in the breast cancer population is difficult to determine.
- •Multitrait analysis showed acceptable convergent validity but weak discriminant validity for anxiety, depression, and somatic symptoms.
- •The original Greene Climacteric Scale factor structure undertaken in women not diagnosed with breast cancer was not replicated in this sample.
- •Among women treated for breast cancer, the presence of multiple concurrent and severe menopausal symptoms with possible treatment-related causes underpins the need for a breast cancer-specific measure to enhance their identification and management.
Trial IDs, Australian and New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
World Cancer Research Fund and The American Institute of Cancer Research, Breast cancer statistics, 2020. https://www.wcrf.org/dietandcancer/cancer-trends/breast-cancer-statistics. (Accessed 10/2/21).
Cancer Australia, Breast cancer in Australia statistics, 2020. https://www.canceraustralia.gov.au/affected-cancer/cancer-types/breast-cancer/breast-cancer-australia-statistics. (Accessed 10/2/21).
- Risk factors, prevalence, and course of severe fatigue after breast cancer treatment: a meta-analysis involving 12 327 breast cancer survivors.Ann. Oncol. 2016; 27: 965-974
- Improving quality of life after breast cancer: dealing with symptoms.Maturitas. 2011; 70: 343-348
- Managing menopausal symptoms and associated clinical issues in breast cancer survivors.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2017; 102: 3647-3661
- The prevalence of long-term symptoms of depression and anxiety after breast cancer treatment: a systematic review.Maturitas. 2015; 82: 100-108
- Long term side effects of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with early breast cancer.Breast. 2015; 24: S149-S153
- Managing menopausal symptoms after cancer.Climacteric. 2019; 22: 572-578
- Menopausal symptoms in breast cancer survivors nearly 6 years after diagnosis.Menopause. 2014; 21
- How does adjuvant chemotherapy affect menopausal symptoms, sexual function, and quality of life after breast cancer?.Menopause. 2016; 23
- Association of breast cancer and its therapy with menopause-related symptoms.Menopause. 2004; 11
- Influence of Menopausal Status on the Symptom Experience of Women Before Breast Cancer Surgery.Cancer Nurs. 2018; 41: 265-278
- Quality of Life, Fertility Concerns, and Behavioral Health Outcomes in Younger Breast Cancer Survivors: a Systematic Review.J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2012; 104: 386-405
- Menopausal symptom clusters and their correlates in women with and without a history of breast cancer: a pooled data analysis from the Women’s Wellness Research Program.Menopause. 2017; 24
- Factor Analyses of Climacteric Symptoms: Toward a Consensual Measure.Department of Psychological Medicine, University of Glasgow, Glasgow1990
- Constructing a standard climacteric scale.Maturitas. 1998; 29: 25-31
- Statistical factor analysis and cluster analysis in the etiology of climacteric symptoms.Tohoku J. Exp. Med. 1984; 143: 481-489
- The menopausal syndrome: a factor analytic replication.Maturitas. 1991; 13: 193-203
- Relationships between psychological symptoms, somatic complaints and menopausal status.Maturitas. 1986; 8: 217-228
- Symptom reporting at the menopause.Soc. Sci.& Med. Part E. 1981; 15: 173-184
A. Mikkelsen, A factor-analytic study of" climacteric" symptoms, (1982).
- A factor analytic study of climacteric symptoms.J. Psychosom. Res. 1976; 20: 425-430
- A factor analytic study of menopausal symptoms in middle aged women.Indian J. Clin. Psychol. 1980;
- The Women’s wellness after cancer program: a multisite, single-blinded, randomised controlled trial protocol.BMC Cancer. 2017; 17: 98
- Erratum to: the Women’s wellness after cancer program: a multisite, single-blinded, randomised controlled trial protocol.BMC Cancer. 2017; 17: 196
- Physical activity and cognitive changes in younger women after breast cancer treatment.BMJ Support Palliat. Care. 2020; 10: 122
- IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows, Version 22.0.IBM Corp, Armonk, NY2013
- An analysis of variance test for normality (complete samples)†.Biometrika. 1965; 52: 591-611
- Quality criteria were proposed for measurement properties of health status questionnaires.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2007; 60: 34-42
- Convergent and discriminant validation by the multitrait-multimethod matrix.Psychol. Bull. 1959; 56: 81-105
- SPSS for Windows Step by Step: A simple Guide and Reference. 11.0 Update.Allyn & Bacon, Boston2003 (4 ed.)
- An index of factorial simplicity.Psychometrika. 1974; 39: 31-36
- Properties of sufficiency and statistical tests.Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A Math. Phys. Sci. 1937; : 268-282
- A second generation little jiffy.Psychometrika. 1970; 35: 401-415
G. Snedegor, W.G. Cochran, Statistical methods, Statistical methods. (6th ed) (1967).
- Factor analysis of Greene’s Climacteric Scale for Indian women.Maturitas. 2008; 59: 22-27
- Validity and cultural equivalence of the standard Greene Climacteric Scale in Hong Kong.Menopause. 2010; 17
- Greene Climacteric Scale: norms in an Australian population in relation to age and menopausal status.Climacteric. 2005; 8: 56-62
- Assessing health status and quality-of-life instruments.Qual. Life Res. 2002; 11: 193-205
- Factor structure and normative data of the Greene Climacteric Scale among postmenopausal Portuguese women.Maturitas. 2012; 72: 256-262
- Mixed anxiety/depression symptoms in a large cancer cohort: prevalence by cancer type.Psychosomatics. 2009; 50: 383-391
- Differences in symptom clusters before and twelve months after breast cancer surgery.Eur. J. Oncol. Nurs. 2018; 32: 63-72
- Re-analysis of symptom clusters in advanced cancer patients attending a palliative outpatient radiotherapy clinic.Ann. Palliat. Med. 2018; 8: 140-149
- Somatization and somatic symptom presentation in cancer: a neglected area.Int. Rev. Psychiatry. 2013; 25: 41-51
- Twelve-month and lifetime prevalence of mental disorders in cancer patients.Psychother. Psychosom. 2016; 85: 289-296
- Fear of recurrence or progression as a link between somatic symptoms and perceived stress among cancer survivors.Supportive Care Cancer. 2017; 25: 1401-1407
- Long-term chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy among breast cancer survivors: prevalence, risk factors, and fall risk.Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2016; 159: 327-333
R. Fitzpatrick, C. Davey, M.J. Buxton, D.R. Jones, Evaluating patient-based outcome measures for use in clinical trials, (1998).
- Changes in sexuality and intimacy after the diagnosis and treatment of cancer: the experience of partners in a sexual relationship with a person with cancer.Cancer Nurs. 2009; 32: 271-280
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5®).American Psychiatric Pub, 2013
- Management of sexual dysfunction in breast cancer survivors: a systematic review.Women's Midlife Health. 2015; 1: 9
- 4125.0 - Gender Indicators, Australia, August 2016.ABS, Canberra2016