- •This study sought to identify factors that influence healthy behaviors, to enable the development of tailored interventions.
- •Lifestyle modifications, a balanced diet, and psychoeducational interventions should represent a successful approach to the enhancement of self-care activities.
- •Our study showed there are positive associations between self-care and body mass index, smoking and recent fractures.
Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pharmacological therapy of osteoporosis: what's new?.Clin. Interv. Aging. 2020; 15https://doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S242038
- An estimate of the worldwide prevalence and disability associated with osteoporotic fractures.Osteoporos. Int. Oct. 2006; 17https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-006-0172-4
- Osteoporosis prevention, diagnosis, and therapy.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2001; 285https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.285.6.785
- Fragility fractures in Europe: burden, management and opportunities.Arch. Osteoporos. 2020; 15https://doi.org/10.1007/s11657-020-0706-y
- Consensus development conference: diagnosis, prophylaxis, and treatment of osteoporosis.Am. J. Med. 1993; 94https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(93)90218-e
- Osteoporosis in the European Union: medical management, epidemiology and economic burden: a report prepared in collaboration with the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) and the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industry Associations (EFPIA).Arch. Osteoporos. 2013; 8https://doi.org/10.1007/s11657-013-0136-1
- Challenges and strategies in management of osteoporosis and fragility fracture care during COVID-19 pandemic.J. Orthop. Sep. 2020; 21https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jor.2020.06.001
- Guidelines for the management of osteoporosis and fragility fractures.Intern. Emerg. Med. 2019; 14https://doi.org/10.1007/s11739-018-1874-2
- Prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 2014; 142https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsbmb.2013.09.008
- Artificial intelligence, osteoporosis and fragility fractures.Curr. Opin. Rheumatol. 2019; 31https://doi.org/10.1097/BOR.0000000000000607
- Recurrent and injurious falls in the year following hip fracture: a prospective study of incidence and risk factors from the sarcopenia and hip fracture study.J. Gerontol. - Ser. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2009; 64https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glp003
- Impacts of psychological stress on osteoporosis: clinical implications and treatment interactions.Front. Psychiatry. 2019; 10https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2019.00200
- Development and testing of the quality of life osteoporosis scale - nonvertebral fractures (QoLOS-NVFX).Orthop. Nurs. 2021; 40https://doi.org/10.1097/NOR.0000000000000728
- Characteristics of self-care interventions for patients with a chronic condition: a scoping review.Int. J. Nurs. Stud. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2020.103713
- Effects of a three-month therapeutic lifestyle modification program to improve bone health in postmenopausal Korean women in a rural community: a randomized controlled trial.Res. Nurs. Heal. 2014; 37https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.21608
- The effect of exercise and education on fear of falling in elderly women with osteoporosis and a history of vertebral fracture: results of a randomized controlled trial.Osteoporos. Int. 2014; 25https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-014-2724-3
- Effects of pharmaceutical care on adherence and persistence to bisphosphonates in postmenopausal osteoporotic women.J. Clin. Pharm. Ther. 2011; 36https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2710.2010.01210.x
- The effect of a prevention program based on health belief model on osteoporosis.J. Res. Health Sci. 2015; 15https://doi.org/10.34172/jrhs151803
- The impact of educational interventions on modifiable risk factors for osteoporosis after a fragility fracture.Osteoporosis Int. 2014; 25https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-014-2618-4
- Integrating Symptoms Into the Middle-Range Theory of Self-Care of Chronic Illness.ANS. Adv. Nurs. Sci. 2019; 42https://doi.org/10.1097/ANS.0000000000000237
- A middle-range theory of self-care of chronic illness.Adv. Nurs. Sci. 2012; 35https://doi.org/10.1097/ANS.0b013e318261b1ba
- Improving management of osteoporosis through simple changes in reporting fragility fractures.Can. Assoc. Radiol. J. 2013; 64https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carj.2013.09.001
- Compliance and treatment satisfaction of post menopausal women treated for osteoporosis. Compliance with osteoporosis treatment.BMC Womens. Health. 2010; 10https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6874-10-26
- Understanding patient compliance and persistence with osteoporosis therapy.Drugs Aging. 2011; 28https://doi.org/10.2165/11586880-000000000-00000
- A home-based, transtheoretical change model designed strength training intervention to increase exercise to prevent osteoporosis in Iranian women aged 40-65 years: a randomized controlled trial.Health Educ. Res. 2007; 22https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyl067
- Persistence with osteoporosis medication among newly-treated osteoporotic patients.J. Bone Miner. Metab. 2013; 31https://doi.org/10.1007/s00774-013-0440-2
- Effect of tailored educational intervention to improve self-care maintenance and quality of life in postmenopausal osteoporotic women after a fragility fracture: the Guardian Angel® study.Ig. Sanita Pubbl. 2017; 73 (Accessed: Sep. 04, 2019. [Online]. Available): 65-76
- Self-care for the prevention and management of cardiovascular disease and stroke.J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2017; 6https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.117.006997
- Diabetes self-care and the older adult.West. J. Nurs. Res. 2014; 36https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945914521696
- Association between social support and self-care behaviors in adults with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Ann. Am. Thorac. Soc. 2017; 14https://doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201701-026OC
- Traditional and non-traditional risk factors for osteoporosis in CKD.Calcif. Tissue Int. 2021; 108https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-020-00786-0
- Cancer Treatment–Induced Bone Loss (CTIBL): state of the Art and Proper Management in Breast Cancer Patients on Endocrine Therapy.Curr. Treat. Options Oncol. 2021; 22https://doi.org/10.1007/s11864-021-00835-2
- Development and testing of a new instrumentto measure self-care in patients with osteoporosis:the self-care of osteoporosis scale.Int. J. Bone Frag. 2021; 1: 28-33
J. Jiang and T. Nguyen, Linear and Generalized Linear Mixed Models and Their Applications. 2021.
- Applying MCMC Methods to Multilevel Models.UK: University of Bath., 1998
- Multilevel Analysis: an Introduction to Basic and Advanced Multilevel Modeling.Struct. Equ. Model. A Multidiscip. J. 2013; 20https://doi.org/10.1080/10705511.2013.797841
- Stata Statistical Software: Release 16.StataCorp LLC, 2019
- Missing data methods in longitudinal studies: a review.Test. 2009; 18https://doi.org/10.1007/s11749-009-0138-x
- Describing self-care in Italian adults with heart failure and identifying determinants of poor self-care.Eur. J. Cardiovasc. Nurs. 2015; 14https://doi.org/10.1177/1474515113518443
- Bone characteristics and metabolic phenotypes of obesity in an Iranian Elderly population: bushehr Elderly Health Program (BEHP).Arch. Osteoporos. Dec. 2021; 16https://doi.org/10.1007/s11657-021-00953-2
- Self-management practices of smokers with asthma and/or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a cross-sectional survey.COPD Res. Pract. 2017; 3https://doi.org/10.1186/s40749-017-0022-0
M.U. Keen and A.K.R. Reddivari, Osteoporosis In Females. 2020.
- The epidemiology and management of postmenopausal osteoporosis: a viewpoint from Brazil.Clin Interv Aging. 2015; 10https://doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S54614
- Predicting imminent risk for fracture in patients aged 50 or older with osteoporosis using US claims data.Arch. Osteoporos. 2016; 11https://doi.org/10.1007/s11657-016-0280-5
- Clinical guidelines for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis: summary statements and recommendations from the Italian Society for Orthopaedics and Traumatology.J. Orthop. Traumatol. 2017; 18https://doi.org/10.1007/s10195-017-0474-7
- Bone care nurses and the evolution of the nurse's educational function: the Guardian Angel® research project.Clin. Cases Miner. Bone Metab. 2015; 12https://doi.org/10.11138/ccmbm/2015.12.1.043
- Self-care research: where are we now? where are we going?.Int. J. Nurs. Stud. 2021; 116https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2019.103402