- •Among Chinese older adults, plasma superoxide dismutase activity was associated with disability in activities of daily living, as well as in standing up from a chair and in picking up a book from the floor.
- •We did not observe statistically significant age and sex differences regarding the associations of plasma superoxide dismutase activity with physical functioning.
- •The plasma superoxide dismutase activity has the potential to serve as a biomarker of physical functioning.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Rethinking Disability.BMC Med. 2018; 16 (Doi): 14https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-017-1002-6
- Untangling the concepts of disability, frailty, and comorbidity: implications for improved targeting and care.J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2004; 59 (Doi): 255-263https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/59.3.m255
- Social inequalities in multimorbidity, frailty, disability, and transitions to mortality: a 24-year follow-up of the Whitehall II cohort study.Lancet Public Health. 2020; 5 (Doi): e42-e50https://doi.org/10.1016/s2468-2667(19)30226-9
- Trajectories of disability in the last year of life.N. Engl. J. Med. 2010; 362 (Doi): 1173-1180https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0909087
- Short-term disability fluctuations in late life.J. Gerontol. B Psychol. Sci. Soc. Sci. 2019; 74 (Doi): e135-ee40https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/gbz089
- Markers of oxidative stress in erythrocytes and plasma during aging in humans.Oxid. Med. Cell Longev. 2010; 3 (Doi): 2-12https://doi.org/10.4161/oxim.3.1.10476
- Measuring reactive species and oxidative damage in vivo and in cell culture: how should you do it and what do the results mean?.Br. J. Pharmacol. 2004; 142 (Doi): 231-255https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjp.0705776
- First line defence antioxidants-superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT) and glutathione peroxidase (GPX): their fundamental role in the entire antioxidant defence grid.Alexandria J. Med. 2019; 54 (Doi): 287-293https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajme.2017.09.001
- A new mouse model of frailty: the Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase knockout mouse.Geroscience. 2017; 39 (Doi): 187-198https://doi.org/10.1007/s11357-017-9975-9
- Accelerated sarcopenia in Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase knockout mice.Free Radic. Biol. Med. 2019; 132 (Doi): 19-23https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2018.06.032
- Biological markers of oxidative stress: applications to cardiovascular research and practice.Redox. Biol. 2013; 1 (Doi): 483-491https://doi.org/10.1016/j.redox.2013.07.006
- Superoxide dismutase activity and risk of cognitive decline in older adults: findings from the Chinese longitudinal healthy longevity survey.Exp. Gerontol. 2019; 118 (Doi): 72-77https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exger.2019.01.010
- Plasma lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 and superoxide dismutase are independent predicators of cognitive impairment in cerebral small vessel disease patients: diagnosis and assessment.Aging Dis. 2019; 10 (Doi): 834-846https://doi.org/10.14336/ad.2019.0304
- Cognition impairment in schizophrenia patients with tardive dyskinesia: association with plasma superoxide dismutase activity.Schizophr. Res. 2014; 152 (Doi): 210-216https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2013.11.010
- Relationship between decreased serum superoxide dismutase activity and metabolic syndrome: synergistic mediating role of insulin resistance and β-cell dysfunction.Oxid. Med. Cell Longev. 2020; 2020 (Doi)5384909https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/5384909
- Associations between superoxide dismutase, malondialdehyde and all-cause mortality in older adults: a community-based cohort study.BMC Geriatr. 2019; 19 (Doi): 104https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-019-1109-z
- Healthy longevity in China : demographic, socioeconomic, and psychological dimensions.Springer Ebooks. 2008; 63 (Doi): 312-313https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-6752-5
- Studies of illness in the aged. The index of ADL: a standardized measure of biological and psychosocial function.JAMA. 1963; 185 (Doi): 914-919https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1963.03060120024016
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D in relation to disability in activities of daily living, mobility, and objective physical functioning among Chinese older adults.Exp. Gerontol. 2021; 148 (Doi)111290https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exger.2021.111290
- Effect of new disability subtype on 3-year mortality in Chinese older adults.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2010; 58 (Doi): 1952-1958https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03013.x
- Contributions of obesity and cigarette smoking to incident disability: a longitudinal analysis.Prev. Med. 2020; 141 (Doi)106226https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2020.106226
- The role of vitamin K in humans: implication in aging and age-associated diseases.Antioxidants (Basel). 2021; 10 (Doi)https://doi.org/10.3390/antiox10040566
- Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2001; 56 (Doi): M146-M156https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/56.3.m146
- Increased oxidative stress in patients with severe disability: association with nutrition.Pediatr. Int. 2016; 58 (Doi): 1183-1187https://doi.org/10.1111/ped.12977
- Oxidative stress and severe walking disability among older women.Am. J. Med. 2007; 120 (Doi): 1084-1089https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2007.07.028
- Frailty as a phenotypic manifestation of underlying oxidative stress.Free Radic. Biol Med. 2020; 149 (Doi): 72-77https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2019.08.011
- Age-induced oxidative stress: how does it influence skeletal muscle quantity and quality?.J. Appl. Physiol. (1985). 2016; 121 (Doi): 1047-1052https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00321.2016
- Sex differences in lifespan.Cell Metab. 2016; 23 (Doi): 1022-1033https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmet.2016.05.019
- Superoxide dismutase administration, a potential therapy against oxidative stress related diseases: several routes of supplementation and proposal of an original mechanism of action.Pharm. Res. 2013; 30 (Doi): 2718-2728https://doi.org/10.1007/s11095-013-1113-5
- Oral supplementation with melon superoxide dismutase extract promotes antioxidant defences in the brain and prevents stress-induced impairment of spatial memory.Behav. Brain Res. 2009; 200 (Doi): 15-21https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2008.12.038
- Enhanced recovery of phenolic and tocopherolic compounds from Walnut (Juglans Regia L.) male flowers based on process optimization of ultrasonic assisted-extraction: phytochemical profile and biological activities.Antioxidants (Basel). 2021; 10 (Doi)https://doi.org/10.3390/antiox10040607