- •The use of adjuvant therapy with different forms of traditional Chinese medicine after stroke was associated with reduced mortality.
- •The most commonly used form of traditional Chinese medicine in this cohort was acupuncture.
- •The use of acupuncture alone was associated with reduced mortality.
Main outcome measure
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
- Global, regional, and national disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs) for 333 diseases and injuries and healthy life expectancy (HALE) for 195 countries and territories, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.Lancet. 2017; 390: 1260-1344
- Update on the global burden of ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke in 1990-2013: the GBD 2013 study.Neuroepidemiology. 2015; 45: 161-176
- Neurological complications of acute ischaemic stroke.Lancet Neurol. 2011; 10: 357-371
- WHO Traditional Medicine Strategy: 2014–2023.World Health Organization, 2021Accessed 20 September)
C.C. Liao, J.G. Lin, C.C. Tsai, H.L. Lane, T.C. Su, H.H. Wang, F.C. Sung, T.L. Chen, C.C. Shih, An investigation of the use of traditional chinese medicine in stroke patients in taiwan, Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine: eCAM 2012 (2012) 387164.
- Outcomes after stroke in patients receiving adjuvant therapy with traditional Chinese medicine: a nationwide matched interventional cohort study.J. Ethnopharmacol. 2016; 177: 46-52
Y.C. Wei, M.F. Sun, K.C. Chang, C.J. Chang, Y.C. Hung, Y.J. Lin, H.H. Chiu, Pilot scheme of health policy in stroke adjuvant acupuncture therapy for acute and subacute ischemic stroke in taiwan, Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine: eCAM 2011 (2011) 689813.
National Health Insurance Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Taiwan. Universal Health Coverage in Taiwan. https://www.nhi.gov.tw/english/Content_List.aspx?n=8FC0974BBFEFA56D&topn=ED4A30E51A609E49. Accessed 2 November 2019.
National Health Insurance Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Taiwan. 2017-2018 National Health Insurance in Taiwan Annual Report (bilingual). https://www.nhi.gov.tw/english/Content_List.aspx?n=8FC0974BBFEFA56D&topn=ED4A30E51A609E49. Accessed 21 September 2021.
- An introduction to propensity score methods for reducing the effects of confounding in observational studies.Multivar. Behav. Res. 2011; 46: 399-424
- A comparison of 12 algorithms for matching on the propensity score.Stat. Med. 2014; 33: 1057-1069
- Reader's guide to critical appraisal of cohort studies: 2. Assessing potential for confounding.BMJ. 2005; 330: 960-962
- The performance of different propensity score methods for estimating marginal hazard ratios.Stat. Med. 2013; 32: 2837-2849
- Competing risk regression models for epidemiologic data.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2009; 170: 244-256
- Acupuncture for acute stroke.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2018; 3Cd003317
- Overview of systematic reviews and meta-analyses of acupuncture for stroke.Neuroepidemiology. 2014; 42: 50-58
- Acupuncture efficacy on ischemic stroke recovery: multicenter randomized controlled trial in China.Stroke. 2015; 46: 1301-1306
- Characteristics of traditional Chinese medicine usage in patients with stroke in Taiwan: a nationwide population-based study.J. Ethnopharmacol. 2016; 186: 311-321
- A retrospective cohort study on the outcomes of ischemic stroke patients with adjuvant Korean Medicine treatment.Sci. Rep. 2018; 8: 1656
- Earlier acupuncture enhancing long-term effects on motor dysfunction in acute ischemic stroke: retrospective cohort study.Am. J. Chin. Med. 2020; 48 (Gard City N Y): 1787-1802
- Long-term survival of ischemic cerebrovascular disease in the acute inflammatory stroke study, a hospital-based cohort described by TOAST and ASCO.Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2013; 35: 213-219
- Mechanisms of acupuncture therapy in ischemic stroke rehabilitation: a literature review of basic studies.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2017; 18 (2270)
- Neuroplasticity of acupuncture for stroke: an evidence-based review of MRI.Neural Plast. 2021; (2021)2662585
- Acupuncture modulates disrupted whole-brain network after ischemic stroke: evidence based on graph theory analysis.Neural Plast. 2020; 20208838498
Z. Xie, F. Cui, Y. Zou, L. Bai, Acupuncture enhances effective connectivity between cerebellum and primary sensorimotor cortex in patients with stable recovery stroke, evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine: eCAM 2014 (2014) 603909.
- Syndrome differentiation in modern research of traditional Chinese medicine.J. Ethnopharmacol. 2012; 140: 634-642
- Biologic basis of TCM syndromes and the standardization of syndrome classification.J. Tradit. Chin. Med. Sci. 2014; 1: 92-97
- Developing a stroke severity index based on administrative data was feasible using data mining techniques.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2015; 68: 1292-1300
- Acupuncture therapy and incidence of depression after stroke.Stroke. 2017; 48: 1682-1684