- •Two-thirds of a large cohort of older Australian women had died by age 90–95, and only 3.8% of these died without disease and disability.
- •Women with chronic disease were more likely to experience disability than to die without disability.
- •At age 70–75, predicted life without disease and disability was eight years, while life with disease but no disability was four years, and life with disability was four years.
- •The factors difficulties managing on available income, less than secondary school qualification and obese/overweight at age 70–75 were associated with increased risk of disability.
Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Successful ageing from old to very old: a longitudinal study of 12,432 women from Australia.Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 803-810https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afz116
- World Report on Ageing and Health.World Health Organization, Geneva2015http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/186463/9789240694811_eng.pdf;jsessionid=A8EA0B1291BCC423FE618C057247A18A?sequence=1
- Estimates of national health care expenditures associated with disability.J. Disabil. Policy Stud. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1177/1044207310391407
- Contribution of chronic diseases to disability in elderly people in countries with low and middle incomes: a 10/66 dementia research group population-based survey.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1821-1830https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61829-8
- Disability incidence and functional decline among older adults with major chronic diseases.BMC Geriatr. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-019-1348-z
- Changing disease prevalence, incidence, and mortality among older cohorts: the health and retirement study.J. Gerontol. Ser. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glz075
- Australia's Health.Australian Institute of Health and Wellfare, 2018: 2018
- E. Verdes, Health, functioning, and disability in older adults - present status and future implications.Lancet. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61462-8
- Change in disability-free life expectancy for Americans 70 years old and older.Demography. 2009; https://doi.org/10.1353/dem.0.0070
- Trends in life expectancy and healthy life years at birth and age 65 in the UK, 2008–2016, and other countries of the EU28: an observational cross-sectional study.Lancet Reg. Heal. Eur. 2021; 2100023https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lanepe.2020.100023
- Functional limitations and disability among elders in the Framingham study.Am. J. Public Health. 1992; 82: 841-845https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.82.6.841
- Multimorbidity and functional decline in community-dwelling adults: a systematic review.Health Qual. Life Outcomes. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-015-0355-9
- Rethinking disability: the social model of disability and chronic disease.Curr. Rev. Musculoskelet. Med. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12178-015-9273-z
- International classification of functioning, disability and health (ICF). Geneva: world health organisation.Int. Classif. 2001; : 2001
- Forecasted trends in disability and life expectancy in England and Wales up to 2025: a modelling study.Lancet Public Health. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1016/S2468-2667(17)30091-9
- Healthy Life Expectancy in Australia: Patterns and Trends 1998 to 2012.Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2014
- Aging with a disability: a systematic review of cardiovascular disease and osteoporosis among women aging with a physical disability.Maturitas. 2011; : 68https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2010.10.004
- Disability-free life expectancy over 30 years: a growing female disadvantage in the US population.Am. J. Public Health. 2016; https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303089
- Women's Health Australia: recruitment for a national longitudinal cohort study.Women Health. 1999; 28: 23-40
- Cohort profile update: Australian longitudinal study on women's health.Int. J. Epidemiol. 2015; 44 (1547–1547f)
- The SF-36 Calculated.2018 (file:///C:/Users/mmrahman/OneDrive - University of)
- Nutrition Interventions Manual For Professionals Caring For Older Americans.Nutr. Screen. Initiat., Washington, DC1992
- Continuous time Markov chain approaches for analyzing transtheoretical models of health behavioral change: a case study and comparison of model estimations.Stat. Methods Med. Res. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1177/0962280216639859
- Markov state modelling of disease courses and mortality risks of patients with community-acquired pneumonia.J. Clin. Med. 2020; 9: 393https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm9020393
- Multi-state modelling with R: the msm package (long vignette).J. Stat. Softw. 2018;
- Predicting successful aging in a population-based sample of Georgia centenarians.Curr. Gerontol. Geriatr. Res. 2010; : 2010https://doi.org/10.1155/2010/989315
- Disability, more than multimorbidity, was predictive of mortality among older persons aged 80 years and older.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2010; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2009.09.007
- The impact of chronic multimorbidity and disability on functional decline and survival in elderly persons. A community-based, longitudinal study.J. Intern. Med. 2009; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2008.02017.x
- Body mass index and all-cause mortality in older adults: a scoping review of observational studies.Obes. Rev. 2020; 21https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.13035
- BMI and healthy life expectancy in old and very old women.Br. J. Nutr. 2016; 116: 692-699https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114516002403
- Obesity in older adults: epidemiology and implications for disability and disease.Rev. Clin. Gerontol. 2012; https://doi.org/10.1017/S0959259811000190
- Self-reported disability and its association with obesity and physical activity in Australian adults: results from a longitudinal study.SSM Popul. Heal. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmph.2021.100765
- Addressing obesity in aging patients.Med. Clin. North Am. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcna.2017.08.007
- Sarcopenic obesity and associations with mortality in older women and men – A prospective observational study.BMC Geriatr. 2020; 20: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-020-01578-9
- Effect of smoking on the accumulation of deficits, frailty and survival in older adults: a secondary analysis from the canadian study of health and aging.J. Nutr. Heal. Aging. 2009; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-009-0085-y
- Healthy ageing for all? Comparisons of socioeconomic inequalities in health expectancies over two decades in the cognitive function and ageing studies I and II.Int. J. Epidemiol. 2021; : 1-11https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyaa271
- The validity of self-reported cancer diagnoses and factors associated with accurate reporting in a cohort of older Australian women.Cancer Epidemiol. 2011; 35https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2011.02.005
- Good agreement between self-report and centralized hospitalizations data for arthritis-related surgeries.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2013.04.012
- Identification of diabetes, heart disease, hypertension and stroke in mid- and older-aged women: comparing self-report and administrative hospital data records.Geriatr. Gerontol. Int. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1111/ggi.12442