- •In this study, 18% of community-dwelling elderly Japanese women reported symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse.
- •Self-reported pelvic organ prolapse was related to higher scores on the Timed Up and Go (TUG) test and reduced scores for basic activities of daily living.
- •Sex-specific symptoms were associated with reduced physical function in older women.
Main outcome measures
Abbreviations:ADL (activities of daily living), ANOVA (analysis of variance), CGA (comprehensive geriatric assessment), CI (confidence interval), FRI-5 (Fall Risk Index-5), GDS-5 (five-item version of the Geriatric Depression Scale), MMSE (Mini-Mental State Examination), OR (odds ratio), PFDI-20 (Pelvic Floor Distress Inventory-20), POP (pelvic organ prolapse), POPDI-6 (Pelvic Organ Prolapse Distress Inventory-6), QOL (quality of life), TLAS (Tosa Longitudinal Aging Study), TMIG-IC (Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology Index of Competence), TUG (Timed Up and Go)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
- Field medicine: a new paradigm of geriatric medicine.Geriatr. Gerontol. Int. 2012; 12: 5-15https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1447-0594.2011.00738.x
- Comprehensive geriatric assessment: a meta-analysis of controlled trials.Lancet. 1993; 342: 1032-1036https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(93)92884-V
- Men: good health and high mortality. Sex differences in health and aging.Aging Clin. Exp. Res. 2008; 20: 91-102https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03324754
- Cross-national comparison of sex differences in health and mortality in Denmark, Japan and the US.Eur. J. Epidemiol. 2010; 25: 471-480https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-010-9460-6
Cabinet Office Japan, Annual report in the aging society., (2019). https://www8.cao.go.jp/kourei/english/annualreport/2019/pdf/2019.pdf (accessed January 19, 2021).
- Depressive symptoms in women seeking surgery for pelvic organ prolapse.Int. Urogynecol. J. 2010; 21: 855-860https://doi.org/10.1007/s00192-010-1106-4
- Pelvic organ prolapse.BMJ. 2016; 354: i3853https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i3853
- Epidemiological trends and future care needs for pelvic floor disorders.Curr. Opin. Obstet. Gynecol. 2015; 27: 380-384https://doi.org/10.1097/GCO.0000000000000200
- Predictors of difficulty in carrying out basic activities of daily living among the old-old: a 2-year community-based cohort study.Geriatr. Gerontol. Int. 2016; 16: 214-222https://doi.org/10.1111/ggi.12462
- Measurement of competence: reliability and validity of the TMIG index of competence.Arch. Gerontol. Geriatr. 1991; 13: 103-116https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4943(91)90053-S
- The Timed ‟Up & Go”a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 1991; 39: 142-148https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1991.tb01616.x
- Predicting the probability for falls in community-dwelling older adults using the Timed Up & Go Test.Phys. Ther. 2000; 80: 896-903https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/80.9.896
- Investigation into the reliability and validity of the measurement of elderly people’s clinical walking speed: a systematic review.Physiother. Theory Pract. 2012; 28: 238-256https://doi.org/10.3109/09593985.2011.601804
- Simple screening test for risk of falls in the elderly.Geriatr. Gerontol. Int. 2006; 6: 223-227https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1447-0594.2006.00352.x
- Mini-mental state.J. Psychiatr. Res. 1975; 12: 189-198https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(75)90026-6
- Geriatric depression scale.Psychopharmacol. Bull. 1988; 24: 709-711https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1999.tb03848.x
- The crichton visual analogue scale for the assessment of behaviour in the elderly.Acta Psychiatr. Scand. 1983; 68: 408-413https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.1983.tb00948.x
- Short forms of two condition-specific quality-of-life questionnaires for women with pelvic floor disorders (PFDI-20 and PFIQ-7).Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2005; 193: 103-113https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2004.12.025
- Limitations in activities of daily living in community-dwelling people aged 75 and over: a systematic literature review of risk and protective factors.PLoS ONE. 2016; 11e0165127https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0165127
- Using Timed Up and Go and usual gait speed to predict incident disability in daily activities among community-dwelling adults aged 65 and older.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2014; 95: 1954-1961https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2014.06.008
- Tools for assessing fall risk in the elderly: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Aging Clin. Exp. Res. 2018; 30: 1-16https://doi.org/10.1007/s40520-017-0749-0
- Pelvic relaxation and associated risk factors: the results of logistic regression analysis.Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. 1999; 78: 290-293https://doi.org/10.1080/j.1600-0412.1999.780403.x
Ministry of Health, Labor and welfare, The national health and nutrition survey (NHNS) Japan, 2017 (in Japanese), (n.d.). https://www.e-stat.go.jp/stat-search/files?page=1&layout=datalist&toukei=00450171&tstat=000001041744&cycle=7&tclass1=000001123258&stat_infid=000031777331&tclass2val=0 ] (accessed July 11, 2021).
- Epidemiology and outcome assessment of pelvic organ prolapse.Int. Urogynecol. J. 2013; 24: 1783-1790https://doi.org/10.1007/s00192-013-2169-9
- Pelvic organ prolapse in Northwest Ethiopia: a population-based study.Int. Urogynecol. J. 2020; 31: 1873-1881https://doi.org/10.1007/s00192-019-04196-1
- Can we screen for pelvic organ prolapse without a physical examination in epidemiologic studies?.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2006; 195: 942-948https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2006.02.050
- The relationship between age and pelvic organ prolapse bother.Int. Urogynecol. J. 2017; 28: 751-755https://doi.org/10.1007/s00192-016-3175-5
- Pelvic floor muscle weakness: a risk factor for anterior vaginal wall prolapse recurrence.Int. Urogynecol. J. 2018; 29: 1661-1667https://doi.org/10.1007/s00192-018-3626-2
- The postural response of the pelvic floor muscles during limb movements: a methodological electromyography study in parous women without lumbopelvic pain.Clin. Biomech. 2009; 24: 183-189https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2008.11.004
- Self-rated health and comprehensive geriatric functions in community-living older adults in Japan.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2010; 58: 207-209https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2009.02650.x
- Factors associated with cervical cancer screening among young unmarried Japanese women: results from an internet-based survey.BMC Womens Health. 2018; 18: 132https://doi.org/10.1186/s12905-018-0623-z