- •Anti-Müllerian hormone levels are strongly related to menopause timing.
- •Whether parity and breastfeeding are related to anti-Müllerian hormone is unknown.
- •We found breastfeeding to be positively associated with anti-Müllerian hormone.
- •Parity was not associated with anti-Müllerian hormone after adjustment.
- •Breastfeeding may largely explain observed relations of parity and menopause timing.
Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The physiology and clinical utility of anti-Mullerian hormone in women.Hum. Reprod. Update. 2014; 20: 370-385
- Ovarian aging: mechanisms and clinical consequences.Endocr. Rev. 2009; 30: 465-493
- Regulation of ovarian function: the role of anti-Mullerian hormone.Reproduction. 2002; 124: 601-609
- Anti-Mullerian hormone and folliculogenesis.Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 2005; 234: 81-86
- Normal serum anti-Mullerian hormone levels in the general female population and the relationship with reproductive history.Eur. J. Obstet. Gynecol. Reprod. Biol. 2012; 163: 180-184
- Changes in serum anti-mullerian hormone level during low-dose recombinant follicular-stimulating hormone therapy for anovulation in polycystic ovary syndrome.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2007; 92: 4138-4143
- Serum anti-Mullerian hormone dynamics during controlled ovarian hyperstimulation.Hum. Reprod. 2003; 18: 328-332
- Serum anti-mullerian hormone levels reflect the size of the primordial follicle pool in mice.Endocrinology. 2006; 147: 3228-3234
- Modeling age at menopause using serum concentration of anti-mullerian hormone.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2013; 98: 729-735
- Anti-mullerian hormone as a predictor of time to menopause in late reproductive age women.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2012; 97: 1673-1680
- Relationship of serum antimullerian hormone concentration to age at menopause.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2008; 93: 2129-2134
- Anti-mullerian hormone and inhibin B in the definition of ovarian aging and the menopause transition.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2008; 93: 3478-3483
- Anti-mullerian hormone predicts menopause: a long-term follow-up study in normoovulatory women.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2011; 96: 2532-2539
- Anti-mullerian hormone (AMH) is associated with natural menopause in a population-based sample: the CARDIA women's study.Maturitas. 2015; 81: 493-498
- Anti-Mullerian hormone levels and incidence of early natural menopause in a prospective study.Hum. Reprod. 2018; 33: 1175-1182
- Early menarche, nulliparity and the risk for premature and early natural menopause.Hum. Reprod. 2017; 32: 679-686
- Factors associated with premature ovarian failure, early menopause and earlier onset of menopause in Japanese women.Maturitas. 2012; 72: 249-255
- Reproductive and lifestyle factors associated with early menopause in Mexican women.Salud Publica Mex. 2006; 48: 300-307
- The timing of the age at which natural menopause occurs.Obstet. Gynecol. Clin. North Am. 2011; 38: 425-440
- Reproductive characteristics and the age at inception of the perimenopause in a British National Cohort.Am. J. Epidemiol. 1999; 149: 612-620
- Factors associated with age at natural menopause in a multiethnic sample of midlife women.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2001; 153: 865-874
- Menopausa Italia Study, Determinants of age at menopause in women attending menopause clinics in Italy.Maturitas. 2007; 56: 280-287
- Factors associated with the age of natural menopause and menopausal symptoms in Chinese women.Maturitas. 2012; 73: 354-360
- Association of parity and breastfeeding with risk of early natural menopause.JAMA Netw. Open. 2020; 3e1919615
- Association between parity and ovarian reserve in reproductive age women.Eur. J. Obstet. Gynecol. Reprod. Biol. 2016; 207: 184-187
- Reproductive and lifestyle determinants of anti-Müllerian hormone in a large population-based study.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2013; 98: 2106-2115
- Demographic, lifestyle, and other factors in relation to antimüllerian hormone levels in mostly late premenopausal women.Fertil. Steril. 2017; 107 (1012-1022.e2)
- Anti-Müllerian hormone and lifestyle, reproductive, and environmental factors among women in rural South Africa.Epidemiology. 2015; 26: 429-435
- Estimating the odds ratio when exposure has a limit of detection.Int. J. Epidemiol. 2009; 38: 1674-1680
- Lactational control of reproduction.Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 2001; 13: 583-590
- A study on effectiveness of lactational amenorrhea as a method of contraception.Int. J. Reprod. Contracept. Obstet. Gynecol. 2018; 7: 3946-3950
- Postpartum endocrine changes and lactation.in: Jones R.E. Lopez K.H. Human Reproductive Biology. Academic Press, Waltham, MA2014: 235
- Serum levels of anti-Mullerian hormone as a marker of ovarian function in 926 healthy females from birth to adulthood and in 172 Turner syndrome patients.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2010; 95: 5003-5010
- Validity of maternal reporting of breast feeding history and the association with blood lipids in 17 year olds in Jerusalem.J. Epidemiol. Community Health. 1984; 38: 218-225
- Maternal recall of breastfeeding duration twenty years after delivery.BMC Med. Res. Methodol. 2012; 12: 179
- Reproducibility and validity of self-reported menopausal status in a prospective cohort study.Am. J. Epidemiol. 1987; 126: 319-325