- •Two-thirds of patients were initiated on statins following acute coronary syndrome.
- •Increasing frailty is inversely associated with initiation of statins.
- •Identifying frail people should be the focus of quality improvement interventions.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- National heart foundation of australia & cardiac society of Australia and New Zealand: Australian clinical guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes.Heart Lung Circ. 2016; 25 (2016): 895-951
- Efficacy and safety of statin therapy in older people: a meta-analysis of individual participant data from 28 randomised controlled trials.Lancet. 2019; 393: 407-415
- Underutilization of statin therapy for secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease among older adults.Popul Health Manag. 2019; 22: 74-82
- [Statin and risk of falls in the elderly: A sytematic review of the literature].Rev Esp Geriatr Gerontol. 2017; 52: 317-321
- Myopathy in older people receiving statin therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2015; 80: 363-371
- Relation of statin use and mortality in community-dwelling frail older patients with coronary artery disease.Am. J. Cardiol. 2016; 118: 1624-1630
- Risk factors and drug interactions predisposing to statin-induced myopathy: implications for risk assessment, prevention and treatment.Drug Saf. 2010; 33: 171-187
- Lipid-lowering therapy with statins in high-risk elderly patients: the treatment-risk paradox.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1864-1870
- Role of frailty in patients with cardiovascular disease.Am. J. Cardiol. 2009; 103: 1616-1621
- A global clinical measure of fitness and frailty in elderly people.CMAJ. 2005; 173: 489-495
- Frailty and outcome in elderly patients with acute coronary syndrome.Can. J. Cardiol. 2013; 29: 1610-1615
- Development and validation of a Hospital Frailty Risk Score focusing on older people in acute care settings using electronic hospital records: an observational study.Lancet. 2018; 391 (10132): 1775-1782
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J. Chronic. Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Transfers to metropolitan hospitals and coronary angiography for rural Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal patients with acute ischaemic heart disease in Western Australia.BMC Cardiovasc. Disord. 2014; 14: 58
- Frailty, and not medicines with anticholinergic or sedative effects, predicts adverse outcomes in octogenarians admitted for myocardial infarction: Population-level study.Australas J. Ageing. 2021; 40 (e155-e162)
- Population-based linkage of health records in Western Australia: development of a health services research linked database.Aust. N. Z. J. Public Health. 1999; 23: 453-459
- Long-term use and cost-effectiveness of secondary prevention drugs for heart disease in Western Australian seniors (WAMACH): a study protocol.BMJ Open. 2014; 4 (e006258)
Australian Bureau of Statistics, 3303.0 - Causes of Death, Australia, 2017. https://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]/0/B482831519147814CA257B2E000D8171?OpenDocument. (Accessed 24 May 2021).
- Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data.Med. Care. 2005; 43: 1130-1139
- Severe psychiatric disorders in mid-life and risk of dementia in late- life (age 65-84 years): a population based case-control study.Curr. Alzheimer Res. 2014; 11: 681-693
- Hyperlipidaemia and incident osteoarthritis of the hand: a population-based case-control study.Osteoarthr. Cartil. 2017; 25: 1040-1045
- Major adverse cardiovascular events in treated periodontitis: a population-based follow-up study from Taiwan.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0130807
- Australian Standard Geographical Classification (ASGC).ABS, Canberra2001
Australian Medicines Handbook, Statin effect on LDL cholesterol, 2011. https://resources.amh.net.au/subscribers/figures/statin_effect_on_LDL_cholesterol_figure.pdf. (Accessed 6 May 2020).
- Safe use of statins in elderly people.J. Pharm. Pract. Res. 2014; 44: 138-142
- Gender disparities in evidence-based statin therapy in patients with cardiovascular disease.Am. J. Cardiol. 2015; 115: 21-26
- Trends and variations in the prescribing of secondary preventative cardiovascular therapies for non-ST elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI) in Malaysia.Eur. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2018; 74: 953-960
- Methods for estimating adjusted risk ratios.The Stata Journal. 2009; 9: 175-196
- Statin treatment, oxidative stress and inflammation in a Danish population.Redox. Biol. 2019; : 21
- Oxidative stress and frailty: a systematic review and synthesis of the best evidence.Maturitas. 2017; 99: 66-72
- Statin treatment and prognosis of elderly patients discharged after non-ST segment elevation acute coronary syndrome.Cardiology. 2019; 143: 14-21
- Frail patients are at increased risk for mortality and prolonged institutional care after cardiac surgery.Circulation. 2010; 121: 973-978
- Frailty is associated with postoperative complications in older adults with medical problems.Arch. Gerontol. Geriatr. 2009; 48: 78-83
- The association between hospital department, medical treatment and outcome in acute myocardial infarction.Israel Med. Assoc. J. 2003; 5: 255-259
- Factors associated with the use of evidence-based therapies after discharge among elderly patients with myocardial infarction.CMAJ. 2008; 179: 901-908
- Unsatisfactory management of patients with myocardial infarction admitted to general medical wards.J. R. Coll. Physicians Lond. 1994; 28: 49-51
- The treatment of unrelated disorders in patients with chronic medical diseases.N. Engl. J. Med. 1998; 338: 1516-1520
- Suffering in deference: a focus group study of older cardiac patients' preferences for treatment and perceptions of risk.Qual. Health Care. 2001; 10 (Suppl 1): i23-i28
- Type 2 myocardial infarction - an evolving entity.Circ. J. 2018; 82: 309-315
- Diagnostic and therapeutic implications of type 2 myocardial infarction: review and commentary.Am. J. Med. 2014; 127: 105-108
- Agreement between 35 published frailty scores in the general population.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2017; 186: 420-434