- •Enhancing the quality of dietary carbohydrate intake may alleviate menopausal symptoms.
- •Higher fiber intake, lower intake of liquid carbohydrates and a lower value of the dietary glycemic index are associated with lower rates of hot flashes and night sweats during menopause.
- •Urogenital symptoms do not seem to be associated with the quality of carbohydrate intake.
Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
- NAMS Recommendations for Clinical Care of Midlife Women Working Group, The North American Menopause Society recommendations for clinical care of midlife women.Menopause. 2014; 21: 1038-1062
- A systematic review and meta-analysis on the average age of menopause among Iranian women.Evid. Based Care. 2019; 8: 26-34
- Age at natural menopause and its associated factors in Canada: cross-sectional analyses from the Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging.Menopause. 2018; 25: 265-272
- 2016 IMS recommendations on women's midlife health and menopause hormone therapy.Climacteric. 2016; 19: 109-150
- ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 141: management of menopausal symptoms.Obstet. Gynecol. 2014; 123: 202-216
- Whole plant foods intake is associated with fewer menopausal symptoms in Chinese postmenopausal women with prehypertension or untreated hypertension.Menopause. 2015; 22: 496-504
- Dietary intake of soy and cruciferous vegetables and treatment-related symptoms in Chinese-American and non-Hispanic White breast cancer survivors.Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2018; 168: 467-479
- High glycemic index and glycemic load diets as risk factors for insomnia: analyses from the Women's Health Initiative.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2020; 111: 429-439
- Dietary patterns and their association with menopausal symptoms: a cross-sectional study.Menopause. 2019; 26: 365-372
- High glycemic index diet as a risk factor for depression: analyses from the Women's Health Initiative.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2015; 102: 454-463
- Associations between dietary patterns and psychological factors: a cross-sectional study among Chinese postmenopausal women.Menopause. 2016; 23: 1294-1302
- Association of dietary patterns with depressive symptoms in Chinese postmenopausal women.Br. J. Nutr. 2019; 122: 1168-1174
- Fruit, Mediterranean-style, and high-fat and-sugar diets are associated with the risk of night sweats and hot flushes in midlife: results from a prospective cohort study.Am. Clin. Nutr. 2013; 97: 1092-1099
- Dietary factors and vasomotor symptoms in breast cancer survivors: the WHEL Study.Menopause. 2006; 13: 423-433
- Low-fat dietary pattern intervention and health-related quality of life: the women's health initiative randomized controlled dietary modification trial.J. Acad. Nutr. Diet. 2016; 116: 259-271
- Food consumption patterns and nutritional problems in the Islamic Republic of Iran.Nutr. Health. 2000; 14: 53-61
- Association between dietary carbohydrate intake quality and micronutrient intake adequacy in a Mediterranean cohort: the SUN (Seguimiento Universidad de Navarra) Project.Br. J. Nutr. 2014; 111: 2000-2009
- International table of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2002.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2002; 76: 5-56
- International tables of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2008.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 2281-2283
The University of Sydney. Glycemic Index Research Service (SUGiRS – GI Foods Advanced Search 2020. https://www.glycemicindex.com/index.php. (Accessed october 20 2020).
- Glycemic index of Iranian foods: Guideline for diabetic and hyperlipidemic patients, National Nutrition and Food Technology of Iran.Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science, tehran1999
- Food glycemic index, as given in glycemic index tables, is a significant determinant of glycemic responses elicited by composite breakfast meals.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2006; 83: 1306-1312
- Glycemic load is associated with HDL cholesterol but not with the other components and prevalence of metabolic syndrome in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–1994.Int. Arch. Med. 2009; 2: 1-8
I.R. Committee, Guidelines for data processing and analysis of the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ)-short and long forms, 2005. http://www. ipaq. ki. se/scoring.pdf.
Menopause Rating Scale information, 2010. http://www.menopauserating- scale.info/documents/Ref_Values_CountrGr.pdf. (Accessed November 21 2010).
- Lifestyle and demographic factors in relation to vasomotor symptoms: baseline results from the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2004; 159: 1189-1199
- Vegans report less bothersome vasomotor and physical menopausal symptoms than omnivores.Maturitas. 2018; 112: 12-17
- Effects of the menopausal transition on dietary intake and appetite: a MONET Group Study.Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 2014; 68: 271-276
- Effects of a dietary intervention and weight change on vasomotor symptoms in the Women's Health Initiative.Menopause. 2012; 19: 980
- Effects of a high-fiber, low-fat diet intervention on serum concentrations of reproductive steroid hormones in women with a history of breast cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2004; 22: 2379-2387
- Association between Carbohydrate Quality Index and general and abdominal obesity in women: a cross-sectional study from Ghana.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e033038
- Obesity and menopause.Best Pract. Res. Clin. Obstet. Gynaecol. 2015; 29: 548-553
- Glycemic index of foods: a physiological basis for carbohydrate exchange.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 1981; 34: 362-366
- The effect of dietary intake on hot flashes in menopausal women.J. Obst. Gynecol. Neonat. Nurs. 2007; 36: 255-262
- Plasma metabolomics profiles suggest beneficial effects of a low–glycemic load dietary pattern on inflammation and energy metabolism.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2019; 110: 984-992
- Are vasomotor symptoms associated with alterations in hemostatic and inflammatory markers? Findings from the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation.Menopause. 2011; 18: 1044-1051
- A review: roles of carbohydrates in human diseases through regulation of imbalanced intestinal microbiota.J. Funct. Foods. 2020; 74104197
- Estrogen–gut microbiome axis: physiological and clinical implications.Maturitas. 2017; 103: 45-53