- •Eurycoma longifolia and the practice of concurrent training for 6 months significantly improved the erectile function of men with androgen deficiency.
- •Eurycoma longifolia increased testosterone levels in almost 50 % of study participants.
- •Testosterone level was correlated with function in domains of men’s sexual health.
Androgen deficiency of aging males (ADAM) largely manifests as sexual symptoms. Erectile dysfunction is one of the most common symptoms of ADAM.
To ascertain the effect of concurrent training and supplementation with Eurycoma longifolia on erectile function and testosterone levels in men with ADAM, and the association of erectile function with levels of total testosterone.
6-month, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled four-arm clinical. 45 men (47.38 ± 5.03 years) were randomized into 4 groups (G1: control + placebo; G2: control + Eurycoma longifolia; G3: concurrent training + placebo; G4: concurrent training + Eurycoma longifolia). 22 received a 200 mg supplement of Eurycoma longifolia and 23 underwent the intervention with concurrent training, 3 times a week for 60 min at progressive intensity.
International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF-5), Aging Male Scale (AMS) and total testosterone.
Erectile function demonstrated improvements in both interventions; however, the most significant results were obtained by men allocated to concurrent training + Eurycoma longifolia.
A 200 mg supplement of Eurycoma longifolia and the practice of concurrent training for 6 months significantly improved the erectile function of men with ADAM.
Strengths & limitations
The study's design stands out as a strength, in addition to the six-month intervention. The main limitation is the study not having groups that used only Eurycoma longifolia and only concurrent training.
The combination of Eurycoma longifolia and concurrent training improved erectile function and increased total testosterone levels in men with ADAM.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Gonadal steroids and body composition, strength, and sexual function in men.N. Engl. J. Med. 2013; 369: 1011-1022https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1206168
- Serum testosterone levels in male hypogonadism: why and when to check—a review.Int. J. Clin. Pract. 2017; 71: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcp.12995
- Physical activity and aging male symptoms in a southern brazilian population.Rev Bras Med Do Esporte. 2011; 17: 228-231https://doi.org/10.1590/S1517-86922011000400002
- Associação entre nível de atividade física nos diferentes domínios e sintomas do envelhecimento masculino.Rev Bras Atividade Física Saúde. 2014; 19https://doi.org/10.12820/rbafs.v.19n2p186
- The Aging Males’ Symptoms (AMS) scale: update and compilation of international versions.Health Qual. Life Outcomes. 2003; 1: 1-5https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-1-15
- Erectile dysfunction.Nat Rev Dis Prim. 2016; 2: 16003https://doi.org/10.1038/nrdp.2016.3
- Erectile dysfunction, loss of libido and low sexual frequency increase the risk of cardiovascular disease in men with low testosterone.Aging Male. 2016; 19: 96-101https://doi.org/10.3109/13685538.2015.1129400
- Hypogonadism as a possible link between metabolic diseases and erectile dysfunction in aging men.Hormones. 2015; 14: 569-578
- The worldwide trend of using botanical drugs and strategies for developing global drugs.BMB Rep. 2017; 50: 111-116https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2017.50.3.221
- A perspective on middle-aged and older men with functional hypogonadism: focus on holistic management.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2017; 102: 1067-1075https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2016-3580
- Lifestyle modifications and erectile dysfunction: What can be expected?.Asian J. Androl. 2015; 17: 5-10https://doi.org/10.4103/1008-682X.137687
- Cardiovascular risk factors adaptation to concurrent training in overweight sedentary middle-aged men.J. Sports Med. Phys. Fitness. 2016; 56: 624-630
- Update on the effects of physical activity on insulin sensitivity in humans.BMJ Open Sport Exerc. Med. 2017; 2: 1-26https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjsem-2016-000143
- Phytoandrogenic properties of Eurycoma longifolia as natural alternative to testosterone replacement therapy.Andrologia. 2014; 46: 708-721https://doi.org/10.1111/and.12214
- Tongkat Ali as a potential herbal supplement for physically active male and female seniors - A pilot study.Phyther Res. 2014; 28: 544-550https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.5017
- Eurycoma longifolia Jack in managing idiopathic male infertility.Asian J. Androl. 2010; 12: 376-380https://doi.org/10.1038/aja.2010.7
- Eurycoma longifolia as a potential alternative to testosterone for the treatment of osteoporosis: exploring time-mannered proliferative, differentiative and morphogenic modulation in osteoblasts.J. Ethnopharmacol. 2017; 195: 143-158https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2016.10.085
- Efficacy of Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma longifolia) on erectile function improvement: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Complement. Ther. Med. 2015; 23: 693-698https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2015.07.009
- Extending the CONSORT statement to randomized trials of nonpharmacologic treatment: explanation and elaboration.J Chinese Integr Med. 2009; 7: 690-699
Becher Luiz Otavio Torres Sidney Glina E. Consenso Latino-Americano sobre DAEM, São Paulo 2013 1o Edição [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2019 Mar 16]. Available from: www.editoraplanmark.com.brBecher Luiz Otavio Torres Sidney Glina E. Consenso Latino-Americano sobre DAEM, São Paulo 2013 1° Edição. 2013.
- Concurrent training protocol for men with androgen deficiency in the aging male: a randomized clinical trial.Aging Male. 2018; 21: 149-157https://doi.org/10.1080/13685538.2018.1454421
- Borg ́s perceived exertion and pain scales.Hum Kinet. 1998; 111
- Effects of tadalafil treatment combined with physical activity in patients with low onset hypogonadism: results from a not-randomized single arm phase 2 study.Aging Male. 2016; 19: 155-160https://doi.org/10.1080/13685538.2016.1177717
- Standardised water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia, Tongkat ali, as testosterone booster for managing men with late-onset hypogonadism?.Andrologia. 2012; 44: 226-230https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0272.2011.01168.x
- Comparing effects of low- and high-volume moderate-intensity exercise on sexual function and testosterone in obese men.J. Sex. Med. 2013; 10: 1823-1832https://doi.org/10.1111/jsm.12154
- The hormonal response of older men to sub-maximum aerobic exercise: the effect of training and detraining.Steroids. 2012; 77: 413-418https://doi.org/10.1016/j.steroids.2011.12.022
- Effects of a proprietary freeze-dried water extract of Eurycoma longifolia (Physta) and Polygonum minus on sexual performance and well-being in men: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.Evid. Complement. Alternat. Med. 2014; 2014https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/179529
- 9-hydroxycanthin-6-One induces penile erection and delays ejaculation.J. Sex. Med. 2012; 9: 1027-1036https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1743-6109.2011.02296.x
- Physical activity to improve erectile function: a systematic review of intervention studies.Sex. Med. 2018; 6: 75-89https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esxm.2018.02.001
- Physical activity and exercise for erectile dysfunction: systematic review and meta-analysis.Br. J. Sports Med. 2017; 51: 1419-1424https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2016-096418
- Effects of resistance training frequency on measures of muscle hypertrophy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Sport Med. 2016; 46: 1689-1697https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-016-0543-8
- Dose-response relationship of resistance training in older adults: a meta-analysis.Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 2010; 42: 902-914https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181c34465
- Fatores relacionados com as respostas da testosterona e do cortisol ao treinamento de força.Rev Bras Med Do Esporte. 2008; 14: 74-78https://doi.org/10.1590/S1517-86922008000100014
- Endocrinological roles for testosterone in resistance exercise responses and adaptations.Sport Med. 2017; 47: 1709-1720https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-017-0698-y
- Physical activity as an adjunct treatment for erectile dysfunction.Nat. Rev. Urol. 2019; 16: 553-562https://doi.org/10.1038/s41585-019-0210-6
- Standardized quassinoid-rich Eurycoma longifolia extract improved spermatogenesis and fertility in male rats via the hypothalamic-pituitary- gonadal axis.J. Ethnopharmacol. 2013; 145: 706-714https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2012.11.013
- Eurycomanone, the major quassinoid in Eurycoma longifolia root extract increases spermatogenesis by inhibiting the activity of phosphodiesterase and aromatase in steroidogenesis.J. Ethnopharmacol. 2013; 149: 201-207https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2013.06.023
Published online: December 09, 2020
Accepted: December 7, 2020
Received in revised form: November 13, 2020
Received: August 29, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.