- •A total of 12,145 women were included from the Norfolk cohort of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer.
- •Gestational diabetes mellitus was significantly associated with hip fractures after adjusting for confounding factors.
- •No other study has investigated the link between gestational diabetes mellitus and fracture risk.
- •Further research is required to gain deeper insight into the relationship.
Abbreviations:BMD (bone mineral density), BUA (broadband ultrasound attenuation), DEXA (dual energy X-ray absorptiometry), DM (diabetes mellitus), ENCORE (East Norfolk Commission Record), EPIC (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer), FFQ (food frequency questionnaires), GDM (gestational diabetes mellitus), HR (hazard ratio), HT (hormone therapy), NHS (national health service), NICE (National Institute for health and Care Excellence), QUS (quantitative ultrasound), SE (standard error), VOS (velocity of sound), WHO (World Health Organization)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The identification and treatment of women with hyperglycaemia in pregnancy: an analysis of individual participant data, systematic reviews, meta-analyses and an economic evaluation.Health Technol. Assess. (Rockv.). 2016; 20: 47-54https://doi.org/10.3310/hta20860[PubMed:27917777]
- Percentage of gestational diabetes mellitus attributable to overweight and obesity.Am. J. Public Heal. 2010; 100: 1047-1052https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2009.172890[PubMed:20395581]
- An analysis of the interrelationship between maternal age, body mass index and racial origin in the development of gestational diabetes mellitus.BJOG. 2012; 119: 276-282https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2011.03156.x[PubMed:22044452]
- Medical problems in pregnancy.Clin. Med. 2017; 17: 251-257https://doi.org/10.7861/clinmedicine.17-3-251[PubMed:28572227]
- Gestational diabetes and future risk of diabetes.J. Clin. Med. Res. 2013; 5: 92-96https://doi.org/10.4021/jocmr1201w[PubMed:23519363]
- Bone mineral density changes in gestational diabetic pregnancies – a longitudinal study using quantitative ultrasound measurements of the os calcis.Gynecol. Endocrinol. 2008; 24: 519-525https://doi.org/10.1080/09513590802288184[PubMed:18958773]
- The influence of pregnancy and lactation on maternal bone health: a systematic review.J. Fam. Reprod. Heal. 2014; 8 ([PubMed:25530765]): 135-148
- A study of bone turnover markers in gestational diabetes mellitus.Indian J. Endocrinol. Metab. 2017; 21 ([PubMed: 28217496]): 38-44https://doi.org/10.4103/2230-8210.196024
- Prediction of total and hip fracture risk in men and women by quantitative ultrasound of the calcaneus : EPIC-Norfolk prospective population study.Lancet. 2004; 363: 197-202https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)15325-1[PubMed:14738792]
- Quantitative ultrasound and bone mineral density are equally strongly associated with risk factors for osteoporosis.J. Bone Miner. Res. 2009; 16: 406-416https://doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.2.406[PubMed:11204441]
- Bone health and osteoporosis: a report of the Surgeon General.US Heal Hum. Serv. [Internet]. 2004; (Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20945569DOI:10.2165/00002018-200932030-00004 [PubMed:20945569]): 437
- Failure in the application of fragility fracture prevention guidelines.Ann. R. Coll. Surg. Engl. 2014; 96: 381-385https://doi.org/10.1308/003588414X13946184901164[PubMed:24992424]
- Discrepancies in bone mineral density and fracture risk in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes – a meta-analysis.Osteoporos. Int. 2007; 18: 427-444https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-006-0253-4
- EPlC-Norfolk: cohort study design and characteristics of the cohort. European Prospective Investigation of Cancer.Br. J. Cancer. 1999; 80 ([PubMed:10466767]): 95-103
- A Review of occupation-based social classifications for social survey research.Methodol. Innov. 2016; 9: 1-14https://doi.org/10.1177/2059799116638003
- Validity and repeatability of a simple index derived from the short physical activity questionnaire used in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study.Public Health Nutr. 2003; 6: 407-413https://doi.org/10.1079/PHN2002439[PubMed:12795830]
- Fracture risk in relation to serum 25- hydroxyvitamin d and physical activity: results from the EPIC-Norfolk cohort study.PLoS One. 2016; 11: 1-16https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0164160[PubMed:27749911]
- Accuracy of death certification and hospital record linkage for identification of incident stroke.BMC Med. Res. Methodol. 2008; 10: 74https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-8-74[PubMed:19000303]
- High cholesterol: overview.Inst Qual Effic Heal Care. 2017
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (2015): diabetes in pregnancy: management from preconception to the postnatal period (NG3).NICE Guidel [NG3]. 2015; 63: 42
- Antenatal Care for Uncomplicated Pregnancies: Clinical Guideline [CG62] [Internet].2019 ([cited 2019 Dec 2]. Available from:)
- Gestational diabetes from A to Z.World J. Diabetes. 2017; 8: 489-511https://doi.org/10.4239/wjd.v8.i12.489[PubMed:29290922]