- •The interpretation of the literature on menopause hormone therapy (MHT) has evolved enormously over the last decade.
- •Severe vasomotor symptoms were recognized by most gynecologists as an indication for menopause hormone therapy when a woman is in her 50 s.
- •This was much less so for a woman over 60 years of age.
- •Osteoporosis was much less often recognized as an indication for menopause hormone therapy, even for women in their 50 s.
Material and method
Initiation of MHT
Maintenance of therapy
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
- Menopausal hormone therapy use in 17 European countries during the last decade.Maturitas. 2014; 79 (Epub 2014 Aug 4. Erratum in: Maturitas. 2015 May;81(1):237-8): 287-291https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2014.07.002
- Menopause management—Getting clinical care back on track.N. Engl. J. Med. 2016; 374: 803-806https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1514242
- Menopause management knowledge in postgraduate family medicine, internal medicine, and obstetrics and gynecology residents: a cross-sectional survey.Mayo Clin. Proc. 2019; 94: 242
R.D. Langer, J.A. Simon, A. Pines, R.A. Lobo, H.N. Hodis, J.H. Pickar, H.N. Hodis, J.H. Pickar, D.F. Archer, P.M. Sarrel & W.H. Utian Menopausal hormone therapy for primary prevention: why the USPSTF is wrong Climacteric in Press Pages 1-12 | Received 04 Jul 2017, Accepted 28 Jul 2017, Published online: 14 Aug 2017.
- Treatment of symptoms of the menopause: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2015; 100 (Epub 2015 Oct 7): 3975-4011https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2015-2236
- The NAMS 2017 hormone therapy position statement advisory panel. The 2017 hormone therapy position statement of The North American Menopause Society.Menopause. 2017; 24: 728
- 2016 IMS Recommendations on women’s midlife health and menopause hormone therapy.Climacteric. 2016; 19: 109-150https://doi.org/10.3109/13697137.2015.1129166
- Propensity of gynaecologists towards osteoporosis management and treatment.Maturitas. 2006; 53 (Epub 2005 Sep 22): 483-488
- Postmenopausal hormone therapy: risks and benefits.Nat. Rev. Endocrinol. 2013; 9 (Epub 2013 Feb 19): 216-227https://doi.org/10.1038/nrendo.2013.17
- Objective hot flashes are negatively related to verbal memory performance in midlife women.Menopause. 2008; 15: 848-856https://doi.org/10.1097/gme.0b013e31816d815e
- Incremental direct and indirect costs of untreated vasomotor symptoms.Menopause. 2015; 22: 260-266https://doi.org/10.1097/GME.0000000000000320
- Oral oestrogen and combined oestrogen/progestogen therapy versus placebo for hot flushes.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2019; 4 (CD002978)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD002978.pub2
- ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 141: management of menopausal symptoms.Obstet. Gynecol. 2014; 123: 202
- The role of sleep difficulties in the vasomotor menopausal symptoms and depressed mood relationships: an international pooled analysis of eight studies in the Inter LACE consortium.Psychol. Med. 2018; 48 (Epub 2018 Feb 12): 2550-2561https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291718000168
- Moderate to severe vasomotor and sexual symptoms remain problematic for women aged 60 to 65 years.Menopause. 2018; 25: 1331-1338https://doi.org/10.1097/GME.0000000000001237
- Study of Women’s Health Across the Nation. Duration of menopausal vasomotor symptoms over the menopause transition.JAMA Intern. Med. 2015; 175: 531
National Osteoporosis Guideline Group (NOGG): Clinical guideline for prevention and treatment of osteoporosis (2017, updated 2018).