- •Premature ovarian insufficiency (POI) is associated with an increased risk of osteoporosis.
- •AGREE II evaluation indicates variable quality of clinical guidelines regarding bone health management in women with POI.
- •There is a paucity of high-quality evidence to guide management.
- •Hormone replacement therapy (unless contraindicated) at least until the age of usual menopause is recommended for POI.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Management of Women with Premature Ovarian Insufficiency.ESHRE, 2015
- Premature ovarian insufficiency in general practice: meeting the needs of women.Aust. Fam. Phys. 2017; 46: 360
- Incidence of premature ovarian failure.Obstet. Gynecol. 1986; 67: 604-606
- Primary ovarian insufficiency.Lancet. 2010; 376: 911-921https://doi.org/10.1016/S01406736(10)60355-8
- Postmenopausal status and early menopause as independent risk factors for cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis.Menopause. 2006; 13: 265-279https://doi.org/10.1097/01.gme.0000218683.97338.ea
- Impaired endothelial function in young women with premature ovarian failure: normalization with hormone therapy.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2004; 89: 3907-3913https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2004-0015
- The role of estrogen and androgen receptors in bone health and disease.Nat. Rev. Endocrinol. 2013; 9: 699https://doi.org/10.1038/nrendo.2013.179
- Osteoporosis in young adults: pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management.Osteoporos. Int. 2012; 23: 2735-2748https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-012-2030-x
- Bone mineral density in estrogen-deficient young women.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2009; 94: 2277-2283https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2008-1878
- Bone mineral density in young women with primary ovarian insufficiency: results of a three-year randomized controlled trial of physiological transdermal estradiol and testosterone replacement.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2014; 99: 3418-3426https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-4145
- Bone loss in young women with karyotypically normal spontaneous premature ovarian failure.Obstet. Gynecol. 1998; 91: 12-15https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-7844(97)00583-8
- Bone loss in young women with premature ovarian failure.Arch. Gynecol. Obstet. 2005; 273: 17-19https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-005-0029-7
- Phenotyping and genetic studies of 357 consecutive patients presenting with premature ovarian failure.Eur. J. Endocrinol. 2009; 161: 179-187https://doi.org/10.1530/EJE-09-0231
- Early menopause: increased fracture risk at older age.Osteoporos. Int. 2003; 14: 525-530https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-003-1408-1
- Early menopause and risk of osteoporosis, fracture and mortality: a 34-year prospective observational study in 390 women.BJOG Int. J. Obstet. Gynaecol. 2012; 119: 810-816https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2012.03324.x
- Effect of early menopause on bone mineral density and fractures.Menopause. 2007; 14: 567-571https://doi.org/10.1097/gme.0b013e31804c793d
- Systematic evaluation of the quality of clinical practice guidelines on the use of assisted reproductive techniques.Hum. Fertil. 2014; 17: 28-36https://doi.org/10.3109/14647273.2013.872301
- Lohr K.N. Field M.J. Clinical Practice Guidelines: Directions for a New Program. National Acedemies Press, 1990https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2012.04.005 (90 (8))
- Clinical guidelines: potential benefits, limitations, and harms of clinical guidelines.BMJ. 1999; 318: 527-530https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.318.7182.527
- Effect of clinical guidelines on medical practice: a systematic review of rigorous evaluations.Lancet. 1993; 342: 1317-1322https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-3646.1984.00249.x
- Critical evaluation of the scientific content in clinical practice guidelines.Cancer. 2015; 121: 783-789https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.29124
- Menopause: Full Guideline, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence.2015
- Long Term Follow up of Survivors of Childhood Cancer, SIGN. No. 132.2013
- Treatment of symptoms of the menopause: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2015; 100: 3975-4011https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2015-2236
- Committee opinion No. 698 summary: hormone therapy in primary ovarian insufficiency.Obstet. Gynecol. 2017; 129: e134https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000002040
- The British Menopause Society and Women’s Health Concern recommendations on the management of women with premature ovarian insufficiency.Post Reprod. Health. 2017; 23: 22-35https://doi.org/10.1177/2053369117699358
- EMAS position statement: the ten point guide to the integral management of menopausal health.Maturitas. 2015; 81: 88-92https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2015.02.003
- 2016 IMS Recommendations on womens midlife health and menopause hormone therapy.Climacteric. 2016; 19: 109-150https://doi.org/10.3109/13697137.2015.1129166
- The British Menopause Society & Women’s Health Concern 2016 recommendations on hormone replacement therapy in menopausal women.Post Reprod. Health. 2016; 22: 165-183https://doi.org/10.1177/2053369116680501
- The European Society of Breast Cancer specialists recommendations for the management of young women with breast cancer.Eur. J. Cancer. 2012; 48: 3355-3377https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.10.004
- Spanish consensus on premature menopause.Maturitas. 2015; 80: 220-225https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2014.11.007
- The 2017 hormone therapy position statement of the North American Menopause Society.Menopause. 2017; 24: 728https://doi.org/10.1097/GME.0000000000000921
- First international consensus guidelines for breast cancer in young women (BCY1).Breast. 2014; 23: 209-220https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2014.03.011
- Managing menopause.J. Obstet. Gynaecol. Can. 2014; 36: 830-833https://doi.org/10.1016/S1701-2163(15)30487-4
- Cancer-associated bone disease.Osteoporos. Int. 2013; 24: 2929-2953https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-013-2530-3
- Guidelines for menopausal hormone therapy: Recommendations of the Polish Menopause and Andropause Society–state of knowledge as of December 2013.Przeglad menopauzalny= Menopause Rev. 2014; 13: 1https://doi.org/10.5114/pm.2014.41078
- Knowledge and attitudes of health professionals regarding menopausal hormone therapies.Climacteric. 2017; 20: 348-355https://doi.org/10.1080/13697137.2017.1304906
AGREE Enterprise. www.agreetrust.org/. (Last accessed 22 December 2018).
- A critical appraisal of the quality of adult musculoskeletal ultrasound guidelines using the AGREE II tool: an EuroAIM initiative.Insights Imaging. 2017; 8: 491-497https://doi.org/10.1007/s13244-017-0563-4
- Quality assessment of clinical guidelines for the treatment of obesity in adults: application of the AGREE II instrument.Cad. Saude Publica. 2018; 34https://doi.org/10.1590/0102-311x00050517
- Quality assessment of osteoporosis clinical practice guidelines for physical activity and safe movement: an AGREE II appraisal.Arch. Osteoporos. 2016; 11: 6https://doi.org/10.1007/s11657-016-0260-9
- Factors associated with high-quality guidelines for the pharmacologic management of chronic diseases in primary care: a systematic review.JAMA Intern. Med. 2019; (Published online, Feb.)https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.7529
- Barriers and strategies in guideline implementation—A scoping review.Healthcare. 2016; 4: 36https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare4030036
- Improved guideline adherence to pharmacotherapy of chronic systolic heart failure in general practice - results from a cluster-randomized controlled trial of implementation of a clinical practice guideline.J. Eval. Clin. Pract. 2008; 14: 823-829https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2008.01060.x
- Systematic review of current guideline appraisals performed with the Appraisal of Guidelines for Research & Evaluation II instrument—a third of AGREE II users apply a cut-off for guideline quality.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2018; 95: 120-127https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2017.12.009
- Guideline appraisal with AGREE II: systematic review of the current evidence on how users handle the 2 overall assessments.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0174831https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0174831
- Investigation and treatment of premature ovarian insufficiency: a multi-disciplinary review of practice.Post Reprod. Health. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1177/2053369118811233
- Care of the adult woman with Turner syndrome.Climacteric. 2018; 21: 428-436https://doi.org/10.1080/13697137.2018.1476969
- Assessment and management of bone health in women with oestrogen receptor positive breast cancer receiving endocrine therapy: position statement of the Endocrine Society of Australia, the Australian and New Zealand Bone & Mineral Society, the Australasian Menopause Society and the Clinical Oncology Society of Australia.Clin. Endocrinol. 2018; 89: 280-296https://doi.org/10.1111/cen.13735
https://www.iscd.org/official-positions/2019-iscd-official-positions-adult, (Accessed July 1 2019).
- Estrogen-based hormone therapy in women with primary ovarian insufficiency: a systematic review.Endocrine. 2017; 58: 413-425https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-017-1435-x
- Effect of estrogen replacement therapy on bone and cardiovascular outcomes in women with Turner syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Endocrine. 2017; 55: 366-375https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-016-1046-y
- Effects of various antireabsorptive treatments on bone mineral density in hypogonadal young women after allogeneic stem cell transplantation.Bone Marrow Transpl. 2006; 37: 81-88https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bmt.1705196
- Symptoms, health behavior and understanding of menopause therapy in women with premature menopause.Climacteric. 2014; 17: 666-673https://doi.org/10.3109/13697137.2014.913284
- The silent grief: psychosocial aspects of premature ovarian failure.Climacteric. 2011; 14: 428-437https://doi.org/10.3109/13697137.2011.571320