- •Despite the advances in steroid hormone assessment, T measurements vary substantially within and across laboratories.
- •Universally accepted age- and sex-matched reference intervals for testosterone are still lacking.
- •Standardization of testosterone testing among current commercial assays should aim to improve performance at lower concentrations of testosterone.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Position statement: utility, limitations, and pitfalls in measuring testosterone: an endocrine society position statement.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2007; 92: 405-413https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2006-1864
- Endocrine and intracrine sources of androgens in women: inhibition of breast cancer and other roles of androgens and their precursor dehydroepiandrosterone.Endocr. Rev. 2003; 24: 152-182https://doi.org/10.1210/er.2001-0031
- Melmed S. Polonsky K. Larsen P. Kroneneberg H. Williams Textb. Endocrinol. 12th ed. Saunders, Philadelphia2011: 709-755
- Testosterone in women: measurement and therapeutic use.J. Obstet. Gynaecol. Can. 2017; 39: 124-130https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jogc.2017.01.006
- Investigation, treatment and monitoring of late-onset hypogonadism in males.Int. J. Androl. 2009; 32: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2605.2008.00924.x
- Testosterone therapy in men with androgen deficiency syndromes: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2018; 103: 1-30https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2009-2354\r10.1210/jc.2009-2354
- Harmonized reference ranges for circulating testosterone levels in men of four cohort studies in the United States and Europe.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2017; 102: 1161-1173https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2016-2935
- Circadian variation in testosterone, sex hormone-binding globulin, and calculated non-sex hormone-binding globulin bound testosterone in healthy young and elderly men.J. Androl. 2019; 10 (n.d.): 366-371
- S-testosterone decrease after a mixed meal in healthy men independent of SHBG and gonadotrophin levels.Andrologia. 2012; 44: 405-410https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0272.2012.01296.x
- Intraindividual variation in levels of serum testosterone and other reproductive and adrenal hormones in men.Clin. Endocrinol. (Oxf.). 2007; 67: 853-862https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2007.02976.x
- Toward quantifying the usage costs of human immunity: altered metabolic rates and hormone levels during acute immune activation in men.Am. J. Hum. Biol. 2019; 22 (n.d.): 546-556https://doi.org/10.1002/ajhb.21045
- Phenotypic spectrum of polycystic ovary syndrome: clinical and biochemical characterization of the three major clinical subgroups.Fertil. Steril. 2005; 83: 1717-1723https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2005.01.096
- Large divergence in testosterone concentrations between men and women: frame of reference for elite athletes in sex-specific competition in sports, a narrative review.Clin. Endocrinol. (Oxf.). 2018; : 0-3https://doi.org/10.1111/cen.13840
- Challenges and improvements in testosterone and estradiol testing.Asian J. Androl. 2014; https://doi.org/10.4103/1008-682X.122338
- Advantages and challenges of mass spectrometry assays for steroid hormones.J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 2010; 121: 491-495https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsbmb.2010.05.001
- Interlaboratory comparison study of serum total testosterone [corrected] measurements performed by mass spectrometry methods.Steroids. 2009; 74: 498-503https://doi.org/10.1016/j.steroids.2009.01.004
- Testosterone measured by 10 immunoassays and by isotope-dilution gas chromatography-mass spectrometry in sera from 116 men, women, and children.Clin. Chem. 2003; 49: 1381-1395
- Comparison of serum testosterone and estradiol measurements in 3174 European men using platform immunoassay and mass spectrometry; relevance for the diagnostics in aging men.Eur. J. Endocrinol. 2012; 166: 983-991https://doi.org/10.1530/EJE-11-1051
- How low can you go? Analytical performance of five automated testosterone immunoassays.Clin. Biochem. 2018; 58: 64-71https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2018.05.008
- Evaluation of a candidate reference measurement procedure for serum free testosterone based on ultrafiltration and isotope dilution-gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.Clin. Chem. 2004; 50: 2101-2110https://doi.org/10.1373/clinchem.2004.037358
- Recommendations from the international evidence-based guideline for the assessment and management of polycystic ovary syndrome.Fertil. Steril. 2018; 110: 364-379https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2018.05.004
- Calculation of bioavailable and free testosterone in men: a comparison of 5 published algorithms.Clin. Chem. 2006; 52: 1777-1784https://doi.org/10.1373/clinchem.2005.063354
- Commentary: androgen replacement therapy in the aging male - a critical evaluation.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2001; 86: 2380-2390https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.86.6.2380
- The free androgen index is not valid for adult males.J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 1993; 45: 325-326
- Toward excellence in testosterone testing: a consensus statement.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2010; 95: 4542-4548https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2010-1314