- •Validated measures have not previously been used to evaluate the relationship between sexual function, body image, relationship with partner, and health-related quality of life (HRQoL) among middle-aged women.
- •Negative appearance evaluation and menopausal symptoms predicted poor HRQoL among middle-aged women. Sexual dysfunction tended to be a negative predictor of the mental component summary (MCS) of HRQoL.
- •A higher frequency of orgasm predicted a better physical component summary (PCS) of HRQoL; sexual satisfaction and relationship satisfaction with partner predicted better MCS.
- •These findings will be useful in health education and health promotion for middle-aged women, and help health providers to focus on these predictors when caring for middle-aged women.
Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Health-related quality of life and its associated factors in Chinese middle-aged women.Climacteric. 2018; 21: 483-490
- Menopausal symptoms among healthy, middle-aged Omani women as assessed with the Menopause Rating Scale.Menopause. 2011; 18: 1113-1119
- Body image during the menopausal transition: a systematic scoping review.Health Psychol. Rev. 2014; 8: 473-489
- Body image issues of older women.Women Ther. 1993; 14: 67-75
- Self-reported sexual symptoms in women attending menopause clinics.Gynecol. Obstet. Invest. 2002; 53: 181-187
- Who are you trying to fool: does weight underreporting by dieters reflect self-protection or self-presentation?.Health Psychol. Rev. 2014; 8: 319-338
- The impact of menopause on the sexual health of Chinese cantonese women: a mixed methods study.J. Adv. Nurs. 2018; 74: 1672-1684
- Experience and attitudes toward menopause in Chinese women living in Sydney-a cross sectional survey.Maturitas. 2007; 58: 359-365
- Women’s voices in the menopause results from an international survey on vaginal atrophy.Maturitas. 2010; 67: 223-238
- Sexuality of Chinese women around menopause.Maturitas. 2013; 74: 190-195
- Sex life and role identity in Taiwanese women during menopause: a qualitative study.J. Adv. Nurs. 2016; 72: 770-781
- Correlates of sexual activity and satisfaction in midlife and older women.Ann. Fam. Med. 2015; 13: 336-342
- Couplepause: a new paradigm in treating sexual dysfunction during menopause and andropause.Sex. Med. Rev. 2018; 6: 384-395
- A population-based survey of quality of life in middle-aged Finnish women.Menopause. 2015; 22: 402-413
- Factors associated with menopausal symptoms and their relationship with the quality of life among Turkish women.Maturitas. 2007; 58: 75-82
- The impact of menopause on health-related quality of life: results from the STRIDE longitudinal study.Qual. Life Res. 2012; 21: 535-544
- Relationship between menopause status, attitude toward menopause, and quality of life in Chinese midlife women in Hong Kong.Menopause. 2016; 23: 67-73
- SF-12v2 Health Survey: Administration Guide for Clinical Trial Investigators.Quality Metric Incorporated, 1996 (ISBN 1-891810-24-3)
- 12-Item Short Form Health Survey: construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity.Med. Care. 1996; 34: 220-233
- Developing and validating a Taiwan version of the Female Sexual Function Index for pregnant women.J. Sex. Med. 2009; 6: 1609-1616
- The Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI): a multidimensional self-report instrument for the assessment of female sexual function.J. Sex Marital Ther. 2000; 26: 191-208
- The female sexual function index (FSFI): cross-validation and development of clinical cutoff scores.J. Sex Marital Ther. 2005; 31: 1-20
- The Multidimensional Body-self Relations Questionnaire, MBSRQ Users’ Manual.3rd rev. 2000
- A generic measure of relationship satisfaction.J. Marriage Fam. 1988; 50: 93-98
- Constructing a standard climacteric scale.Maturitas. 1998; 29: 25-31
- The biology of sexual function.Psychiatr. Clin. North Am. 1995; 18: 7-23
- Sexual sequelae of general medical disorders.Lancet. 2007; 369: 409-424
- Sexual activities, sexual and life satisfaction, and successful aging in women.J. Sex. Med. 2010; 7: 2401-2410
- Sexual function, satisfaction with life and menopausal symptoms in middle-aged women.Maturitas. 2013; 75: 261-269
- Cross-sectional survey of sexual dysfunction and quality of life among older people in Indonesia.J. Sex. Med. 2011; 8: 1594-1602
- Sexual dysfunction among reproductive-aged Chinese married women in Hong Kong: prevalence, risk factors, and associated consequences.J. Sex. Med. 2015; 12: 738-745
- Quality of life and menopause: developing a theoretical model based on meaning in life, self-efficacy beliefs, and body image.Aging Ment. Health. 2011; 15: 630-637
- Sex, health, and years of sexually active life gained due to good health evidence from two US population based cross sectional surveys of ageing.BMJ. 2010; 340: c810
- Does menopausal transition affect the quality of life? A longitudinal study of middle-aged women in Kinmen.Menopause. 2007; 14: 885-890