- •Arts activities lead to positive outcomes for people with dementia.
- •We used social return on investment (SROI) analysis to assess the social and economic benefits of an arts intervention.
- •We found that people with dementia experienced improved cognition and physical health.
- •Care home staff had increased confidence in using arts interventions.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- International principles of social impact assessment: lessons for research?.J. Res. Nurs. 2011; 16: 133-145
- Social Return on Investment (SROI) methodology to account for value for money of public health interventions: a systematic review.BMC Public Health. 2015; 15: 582
- The Public Services (Social Value) Act.2012 (Accessed 30 June 2016)http://www.socialenterprise.org.uk/uploads/files/2012/03/public_services_act_2012_a_brief_guide_web_version_final.pdf
- Care Quality Commission (CQC), Care Quality Commission to Provide Residential and Nursing Care.2015 (Accessed 30 June 2016)
- Facilitating imagine arts in residential care homes: the artists’ perspectives.Arts Health. 2017; : 1-13
- Providing activity for people with dementia in care homes: a cluster randomised controlled trial.Int. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2013; 28: 1296-1304
- Successful aging and creativity in later life.J. Aging Stud. 1999; 13: 457-472
- Attention and the control of posture and gait: a review of an emerging area of research.Gait Posture. 2002; 16: 1-14
- The impact of community-based arts and health interventions on cognition in people with dementia: a systematic literature review.Aging Ment. Health. 2016; 20: 337-351
- Does a ‘Singing together Group’ improve the quality of life of people with a dementia and their carers? A pilot evaluation study.Dementia. 2013; 12: 157-176
- An art gallery access programme for people with dementia: ‘You do it for the moment’.Aging Ment. Health. 2009; 13: 744-752
- Evaluation of edna: arts and dance for older people.Work. With Older People. 2016; 20: 46-56
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of community singing on mental health-related quality of life of older people: randomised controlled trial.Br. J. Psychiatry. 2015; 207: 250-255
- Effects of a creative expression intervention on emotions, communication, and quality of life in persons with dementia.Nurs. Res. 2010; 59: 417
- The Creativity and Aging Study: the Impact of Professionally Conducted Cultural Programmes on Older Adults.2006
- Creative and Cultural Activities and Wellbeing in Later Life, Age UK.(London)2018
- Care staff and the creative arts: exploring the context of involving care personnel in arts interventions.Int. Psychogeriatr. 2017; 29: 1979-1991https://doi.org/10.1017/s1041610217001478
- Department for Business Innovation and Skills, Learning for Older People in Care Settings: a Guide for Activity Coordinators and Care Staff.2014 (Accessed 13 April 2016)
- Creative Solutions to Isolation and Loneliness, Social Return on Investment Evaluation, Report for Impact Arts.Social Value Lab, Glasgow2011
- Social return on investment.Making Waves. 2000; 11: 10-14
- The SROI Network.2011 (Accessed 06 April 2016)http://www.thesroinetwork.org/publications/doc_details/241-a-guide-to-social-return-on-investment-2012
- Social Return on Investment (SROI) and performance measurement: the opportunities and barriers for social enterprises in health and social care.Public Manag. Rev. 2013; 15: 923-941
- Valuing the social? The nature and controversies of measuring social return on investment (SROI).Volunt. Sect. Rev. 2013; 4: 3-18
- Measuring what matters—indicators of social innovativeness on the national level.Inf. Syst. Manag. 2014; 31: 200-224
- Turning social return on investment on its head: the stakeholder impact statement.Nonprofit Manag. Leadersh. 2015; 26: 229-246
- Understanding the social value and well-being benefits created by museums: a case for social return on investment methodology.Arts Health. 2015; 7: 216-230
- Social Return on Investment (SROI) methodology to account for value for money of public health interventions: a systematic review.BMC Public Health. 2014; 15: 582https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-015-1935-7
- Social Return on Investment Pilot Report.2011 (Accessed 2 May 2016)
- Creative Health: The Arts for Health and Wellbeing.second ed. 2017 (Inquiry Report)
- Office of National Statistics: Census.2011 (Accessed 30 June 2016)
- Consolidated health economic evaluation reporting standards (CHEERS) statement.Cost Eff. Resour. Alloc. 2013; 11: 6
- Goodspeed, A Guide to Social Return on Investment.(Available at:) SROI Network, Liverpool, UK2012http://www.socialvalueuk.org/app/uploads/2016/03/The%20Guide%20to%20Social%20Return%20on%20Investment%202015.pdf
- The MoMA Alzheimer’s Project: Making Art Accessible to People With Dementia.2009
- Diary methods: capturing life as it is lived.Annu. Rev. Psychol. 2003; 54: 579-616
- Unveiling a reflective diary methodology for exploring the lived experiences of stress and coping.J. Vocat. Behav. 2011; 79: 204-216
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qual. Res. Psychol. 2006; 3: 77-101
- Facilitating imagine Arts in residential care homes: the artists’ perspectives.Arts Health. 2017; : 1-13
- Bringing arts interventions into care settings.J. Dementia Care. 2017; 25: 24-26
HACT Social Value Bank. http://www.hact.org.uk/social-value-bank. (Accessed 25 June 2016).
- The Green Book: Appraisal and Evaluation in Central Government, London.2011 (Accessed 01 July 2016)http://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/220541/green_book_complete.pdf
- OECD Digital Economy Outlook.OECD Publishing, 2017
- Vineburgh Regeneration Initiative SROI Study.2011 (Accessed 8 July 2016)
- Unit Costs of Health and Social Care.2015 (Accessed 8 July 2016)
- Nuffield-Health.2016 (Accessed 28 June 2016)
- Cognitive Stimulation Therapy (CST): Summary of Evidence on Cost-effectiveness.2016
- The Cunninghame Housing Association SROI.2014 (Accessed 15 April 2016)
Inspirativearts. http://www.inspirativearts.co.uk/. (Accessed 25 June 2016).
Alzheimer’s Society. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2883. (Accessed 30 June 2016).
- Physical benefits of dancing for healthy older adults: a review.J. Aging Phys. Act. 2009; 17: 479-500
- The impact of the Bealtaine arts programme on the quality of life, wellbeing and social interaction of older people in Ireland.Ageing Soc. 2012; 32: 851-872