- •Infertility was more common in women who underwent bilateral oophorectomy than in controls.
- •Women who underwent bilateral oophorectomy weighed more and had a higher body mass index than controls.
- •Use of oral contraceptives, a history of breast feeding, and fibrocystic breast disease were less common in women who underwent bilateral oophorectomy than in controls, and they were older at menarche than controls.
- •A family history of cancer was more common in women who underwent bilateral oophorectomy.
- •Approximately 51% of women in this population-based surgical series were found to have healthy ovaries at pathological examination.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Incidence, time trends, laterality, indications, and pathological findings of unilateral oophorectomy before menopause.Menopause. 2014; 21: 442-449
- Inappropriate oophorectomy at time of benign premenopausal hysterectomy.Menopause. 2017; 24: 947-953
- Prophylactic and risk-reducing bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy: recommendations based on risk of ovarian cancer.Obstet. Gynecol. 2010; 116: 733-743
- Oophorectomy vs ovarian conservation with hysterectomy: cardiovascular disease, hip fracture, and cancer in the Women’s Health Initiative Observational Study.Arch. Intern. Med. 2011; 171: 760-768
- Assessing ovarian cancer risk when considering elective oophorectomy at the time of hysterectomy.Obstet. Gynecol. 2011; 117: 1042-1050
- Factors affecting gynaecologists’ decision to perform prophylactic oophorectomy concomitantly with hysterectomy: a Belgian survey.Maturitas. 2011; 70: 391-394
- Salpingo-oophorectomy at the time of benign hysterectomy: a systematic review.Obstet. Gynecol. 2016; 128: 476-485
- Salpingo-oophorectomy at the time of benign hysterectomy: a systematic review.Lett. Obstet. Gynecol. 2017; 129: 202
- Salpingo-oophorectomy at the time of benign hysterectomy: a systematic review.Lett. Obstet. Gynecol. 2017; 129: 202-203
- Adverse childhood or adult experiences and risk of bilateral oophorectomy: a population-based case-control study.BMJ Open. 2017; 7 (e016045)
- Adverse childhood experiences and adult abuse are predictors of hysterectomy and oophorectomy.Maturitas. 2017; 106: 95-96
- Cohort profile: the Mayo Clinic Cohort Study of Oophorectomy and Aging-2 (MOA-2) in Olmsted County, Minnesota (USA).BMJ Open. 2017; 7 (e018861)
- Accelerated accumulation of multimorbidity after bilateral oophorectomy: a population-based cohort study.Mayo Clin. Proc. 2016; 91: 1577-1589
- Bilateral oophorectomy and accelerated aging: cause or effect?.J. Gerontol. A. Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2017; 72: 1213-1217
- History of the Rochester Epidemiology Project: half a century of medical records linkage in a US population.Mayo Clin. Proc. 2012; 87: 1202-1213
- Use of a medical records linkage system to enumerate a dynamic population over time: the Rochester Epidemiology Project.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2011; 173: 1059-1068
- Data resource profile: the Rochester Epidemiology Project (REP) medical records-linkage system.Int. J. Epidemiol. 2012; 41: 1614-1624
- Generalizability of epidemiological findings and public health decisions: an illustration from the Rochester Epidemiology Project.Mayo Clin. Proc. 2012; 87: 151-160
United States Census Bureau, Census 2000, Summary File 3, Minnesota, Table P053. https://www.census.gov/census2000/sumfile3.html. (Accessed 25 February 2018).
- Trends in bilateral oophorectomy at the time of hysterectomy for benign disease.Obstet. Gynecol. 2011; 118: 1280-1286
- Removal of normal ovaries in women under age 51 at the time of hysterectomy.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2015; 213 (e711-716): 716
- Oral contraceptive use and reproductive factors and risk of ovarian cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition.Br. J. Cancer. 2011; 105: 1436-1442
- Cardiovascular risk factors and diseases in women undergoing hysterectomy with ovarian conservation.Menopause. 2016; 23: 121-128
- Cardiovascular and metabolic morbidity after hysterectomy with ovarian conservation: a cohort study.Menopause. 2018; 25: 483-492