- •Frailty and cognitive impairment independently predict mortality in older adults.
- •The association between frailty and mortality is moderated by cognitive impairment.
- •Those who are frail and cognitively impaired exhibit the highest risk of mortality.
Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Future life expectancy in 35 industrialised countries: projections with a Bayesian model ensemble.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1323-1335
- Prevalence of frailty in community-dwelling older persons: a systematic review.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2012; 60: 1487-1492
- Association of frailty with survival: a systematic literature review.Ageing Res. Rev. 2013; 12: 719-736
- Prevalence of dementia in East Asia: a synthetic review of time trends.Int. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2015; 30: 793-801
- Cognitive impairment and mortality in the community-dwelling elderly.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2000; 151: 676-688
- Frailty and cognitive impairment—a review of the evidence and causal mechanisms.Ageing Res. Rev. 2013; 12: 840-851
- Association of cognitive impairment with frailty in community-dwelling older adults.Int. Psychogeriatr. 2014; 26: 155-163
- Physical frailty is associated with incident mild cognitive impairment in community-based older persons.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2010; 58: 248-255
- Cognitive status and future risk of frailty in older Mexican Americans.J. Gerontol. A: Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2010; 65: 1228-1234
- Cognitive frailty: rational and definition from an (I.A.N.A./I.A.G.G.) International Consensus Group.J. Nutr. Health Aging. 2013; 17: 726-734
- Frailty and cognitive impairment as predictors of mortality in older Mexican Americans.J. Nutr. Health Aging. 2012; 16: 142-147
- Frailty, cognitive impairment and mortality among the oldest old.J. Nutr. Health Aging. 2011; 15: 678-682
- Cognitive impairment improves the predictive validity of the phenotype of frailty for adverse health outcomes: the Three-City Study.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2009; 57: 453-461
- The cumulative effect of frailty and cognition on mortality—results of a prospective cohort study.Int. Psychogeriatr. 2017; 29: 535-543
- 2008 Living Profiles of Older People Survey: A National Report on the Living Status and Welfare Needs of Older Adults.Ministry of Health and Welfare, Keimyung University Industry-Academic Cooperation Foundation, Seoul Republic of Korea2009
- Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.J. Gerontol. A: Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2001; 56: M146-156
- A normative study of the Mini-Mental State Examination in the Korean elderly.J. Korean Neuropsychiatr. Assoc. 2002; 41: 508-525
- Development of the Korean version of the Geriatric Depression Scale and its short form among elderly psychiatric patients.J. Psychiatr. Res. 2004; 57: 297-305
- Potential impact on estimated treatment effects of information lost to follow-up in randomised controlled trials (LOST-IT): systematic review.BMJ. 2012; 344: e2809
- Adverse outcomes of frailty in the elderly: the Rotterdam Study.Eur. J. Epidemiol. 2014; 29: 419-427
- Prevalence and outcomes of frailty in Korean elderly population: comparisons of a multidimensional frailty index with two phenotype models.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e87958
- Frail phenotype and mortality prediction: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies.Int. J. Nurs. Stud. 2015; 52: 1362-1374
- Mini-mental status examination as predictors of mortality in the elderly.Acta Psychiatr. Scand. 2013; 127: 298-304
- Dementia, cognitive impairment and mortality in persons aged 65 and over living in the community: a systematic review of the literature.Int. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2001; 16: 751-761
- Frailty in older men: prevalence, progression, and relationship with mortality.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2007; 55: 1216-1223
- Phenotype of frailty: characterization in the Women’s Health and Aging Studies.J. Gerontol. A: Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2006; 61: 262-266
- Cognitive frailty and adverse health outcomes: findings from the Singapore Longitudinal Ageing Studies (SLAS).J. Am. Med. Dir. Assoc. 2017; 18: 252-258
- Transitions between frailty states among community-living older persons.Arch. Intern. Med. 2006; 166: 418-423
- A 2 year multidomain intervention of diet, exercise, cognitive training, and vascular risk monitoring versus control to prevent cognitive decline in at-risk elderly people (FINGER): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2015; 385: 2255-2263
- The frailty syndrome: definition and natural history.Clin. Geriatr. Med. 2011; 27: 1-15
- Cognitive aspects of frailty: mechanisms behind the link between frailty and cognitive impairment.J. Nutr. Health Aging. 2015; 19: 276-283
- Agreement on cause of death between proxies death certificates, and clinician adjudicators in the Reasons for Geographic and Racial Differences in Stroke (REGARDS) Study.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2011; 173: 1319-1326