- •After menopause, there is a remarkable increase in the prevalence of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.
- •In this study, serum ferritin levels were positively associated with insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome in postmenopausal women.
- •Serum ferritin level in postmenopausal women may help to identify the presence of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Executive summary of the third report of the national cholesterol education program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III).JAMA. 2001; 285: 2486-2497
- Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the international diabetes federation task force on epidemiology and prevention; national heart, lung, and blood institute; american heart association; world heart federation; international atherosclerosis society; and international association for the study of obesity.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1640-1645
- The metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular risk a systematic review and meta-analysis.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2010; 56: 1113-1132
- Increased cellular and circulating biomarkers of oxidative stress in nascent metabolic syndrome.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2012; 97: E1844-50
- Adipose tissue in obesity-related inflammation and insulin resistance: cells, cytokines, and chemokines.ISRN Inflammation. 2013; 2013: 139239
- Postmenopausal status and early menopause as independent risk factors for cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis.Menopause. 2006; 13: 265-279
- Risk of ischemic stroke and lifetime estrogen exposure.Neurology. 2007; 68: 33-38
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in pre- and postmenopausal women.Arch. Endocrinol. Metab. 2017; 0
- Estrogen and coronary heart disease in women.JAMA. 1991; 265: 1861-1867
- Estrogen effects in the myocardium: inhibition of NF-kappaB DNA binding by estrogen receptor-alpha and −beta.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2001; 286: 1153-1157
- Risk factors for coronary heart disease: implications of gender.Cardiovasc. Res. 2002; 53: 538-549
- Serum ferritin and risk of the metabolic syndrome in U.S. adults.Diab. Care. 2004; 27: 2422-2428
- Association of serum ferritin levels with metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance in a Chinese population.J. Diab. Complications. 2017; 31: 364-368
- Serum ferritin is associated with markers of insulin resistance in Japanese men but not in women.Metabolism. 2013; 62: 561-567
- Serum ferritin in patients with iron overload and with acute and chronic liver diseases.Gastroenterology. 1975; 68: 525-533
- Effects of iron overload on chronic metabolic diseases.Lancet Diab. Endocrinol. 2014; 2: 513-526
- Distribution of DMT 1 within the human glandular system.Histol. Histopathol. 2003; 18: 1095-1101
- Advanced glycation end-products induce injury to pancreatic beta cells through oxidative stress.Diab. Metab. 2012; 38: 250-257
- Diabetes, glucose toxicity, and oxidative stress: a case of double jeopardy for the pancreatic islet beta cell.Free Radic. Biol. Med. 2006; 41: 177-184
- Blood letting in high-ferritin type 2 diabetes: effects on insulin sensitivity and beta-cell function.Diabetes. 2002; 51: 1000-1004
- Inflammation and insulin resistance.J. Clin. Invest. 2006; 116: 1793-1801
- Iron-catalyzed hydroxyl radical formation. Stringent requirement for free iron coordination site.J. Biol. Chem. 1984; 259: 3620-3624
- The relationship between obesity and hypoferraemia in adults: a systematic review.Obes. Rev. 2012; 13: 150-161
- NLRP3 inflammasome and visceral adipose tissue.Rev. Med. Liege. 2014; (69 Spec No): 57-61
- Metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and the inflammation markers C-reactive protein and ferritin.Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 2006; 60: 802-809
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha suppresses insulin-induced tyrosine phosphorylation of insulin receptor and its substrates.J. Biol. Chem. 1993; 268: 26055-26058