- •An updated review is presented of the link between the use of benzodiazepines and falls in the elderly.
- •Benzodiazepines increase the risk of falling when used either as monotherapy or in combined therapies.
- •A high proportion of falls in older adults are related to the use of benzodiazepines.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
- Health care and socioeconomic impact of falls in the elderly.Am. J. Surg. 2012; 203 (discussion 338): 335-338https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2011.09.018
OMS. | Caídas, WHO. (n.d.). http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs344/es/ (Accessed September 9, 2016).
- Community-dwelling older people with an injurious fall are likely to sustain new injurious falls within 5 years-a prospective long-term follow-up study.BMC Geriatr. 2014; 14https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2318-14-120
- Epidemiology of falls in the non-institutionalized spanish elderly population, systematic review 2014.Rev. Enferm. Barc. Spain. 2015; 38: 40-45
- Quality indicators for falls and mobility problems in vulnerable elders.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2007; 55: S327-S334https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2007.01339.x
- Association between benzodiazepines and recurrent falls: a cross-sectional elderly population-based study.J. Nutr. Health Aging. 2011; 15: 72-77
- Potentially inappropriate prescribing in elderly veterans: are we using the wrong drug, wrong dose, or wrong duration?.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2005; 53: 1282-1289https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2005.53402.x
- Drug metabolism in older people-a key consideration in achieving optimal outcomes with medicines.J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2012; 67: 175-180https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glr118
- Benzodiazepine use and physical performance in community-dwelling older women.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2003; 51: 1563-1570
- Meta-analysis of the impact of 9 medication classes on falls in elderly persons.Arch. Intern. Med. 2009; 169: 1952-1960https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2009.357
- Instituto Mexicano del seguro social, clinical practice guideline. Diagnosis and treatment of insomnia in the elderly.Rev. Med. Inst. Mex. Seguro Soc. 2014; 52: 108-119
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 1006-1012https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2009.06.005
OSTEBA, Servicio de Evaluación de Tecnologías Sanitarias. Departamento de Salud, Gobierno Vasco, España., Fichas de Lectura Crítica. Plataforma Web 2.0, (n.d.). http://www.lecturacritica.com/es/
- Psychotropic medications and risk for falls among community-dwelling frail older people: an observational study.J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2005; 60: 622-626
- Precipitating factors for falls among patients with dementia on a psychogeriatric ward.Int. Psychogeriatr. IPA. 2010; 22: 641-649https://doi.org/10.1017/s1041610209991724
- Assessing the cumulative effects of exposure to selected benzodiazepines on the risk of fall-related injuries in the elderly.Int. Psychogeriatr. IPA. 2012; 24: 577-586https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610211002031
- Use of benzodiazepines and association with falls in older people admitted to hospital: a prospective cohort study.Drugs Aging. 2014; 31: 299-310https://doi.org/10.1007/s40266-014-0159-3
- Polypharmacy including falls risk-increasing medications and subsequent falls in community-dwelling middle-aged and older adults.Age Ageing. 2015; 44: 90-96https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afu141
- Medication-related fall incidents in an older, ambulant population: the B-PROOF study.Drugs Aging. 2014; 31: 917-927https://doi.org/10.1007/s40266-014-0225-x
- Benzodiazepines and injurious falls in community dwelling elders.Drugs Aging. 2008; 25: 61-70
- Benzodiazepines and the risk of falls in nursing home residents.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2000; 48: 682-685
- Effects of 2-week treatment with temazepam and diphenhydramine in elderly insomniacs: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial.J. Clin. Psychopharmacol. 2008; 28: 182-188https://doi.org/10.1097/JCP.0b013e31816a9e4f
- Risk factors for falling among community-dwelling seniors using home-care services: an extended hazards model with time-dependent covariates and multiple events.Chron. Dis. Can. 2008; 28: 111-120
- Inappropriate medication use and risk of falls-a prospective study in a large community-dwelling elderly cohort.BMC Geriatr. 2009; 9https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2318-9-30
- Antipsychotic and benzodiazepine drug changes affect acute falls risk differently in the nursing home.J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2016; 71: 273-278https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glv091
- What is the point of guidelines? Benzodiazepine and z-hypnotic use by an elderly population.Sleep Med. 2012; 13: 893-897https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2011.12.014
- Fall prevention in the elderly.Clin. Cases Miner. Bone Metab. 2013; 10: 91-95
- Need for a realistic appraisal of benzodiazepines.World Psychiatry. 2015; 14: 243-244https://doi.org/10.1002/wps.20219
- Benzodiazepine prescriptions and falls in older men and women.Rev. Psiquiatr. Salud Ment. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rpsm.2017.01.004
- American geriatrics society 2015 updated beers criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2015; 63: 2227-2246https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.13702
- Risk of fractures requiring hospitalization after an initial prescription for zolpidem, alprazolam, lorazepam, or diazepam in older adults.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2011; 59: 1883-1890https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03591.x
- Psychotropic medications, including short acting benzodiazepines, strongly increase the frequency of falls in elderly.Maturitas. 2013; 74: 357-362https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2013.01.004
- In the Zzz zone: the effects of Z-drugs on human performance and driving.J. Med. Toxicol. 2013; 9: 163-171https://doi.org/10.1007/s13181-013-0294-y
- Antidepressant use and recurrent falls in community-dwelling older adults: findings from the health ABC study.Ann. Pharmacother. 2016; 50: 525-533https://doi.org/10.1177/1060028016644466
- Fall risk-increasing drugs and falls: a cross-sectional study among elderly patients in primary care.BMC Geriatr. 2014; 14https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2318-14-40
- Effect of concomitant use of benzodiazepines and other drugs on the risk of injury in a veterans population.Drug Saf. 2005; 28: 1141-1150
- Comorbidities and concurrent medications increasing the risk of adverse drug reactions: prevalence in French benzodiazepine users.Eur. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2016; 72: 869-876https://doi.org/10.1007/s00228-016-2044-y
- The problems with the use of benzodiazepines in elderly patients.L’Encéphale. 2010; 36: 340-347https://doi.org/10.1016/j.encep.2010.04.016
- The association between dementia and long-term use of benzodiazepine in the elderly: nested case-control study using claims data.Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2009; 17: 614-620https://doi.org/10.1097/JGP.0b013e3181a65210
- Benzodiazepine use and cognitive decline in elderly with normal cognition.Alzheimer Dis. Assoc. Disord. 2016; 30: 113-117https://doi.org/10.1097/WAD.0000000000000099
- Effect of benzodiazepine discontinuation on dementia risk.Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2011; 19: 151-159https://doi.org/10.1097/JGP.0b013e3181e049ca
- Association between risk factors for injurious falls and new benzodiazepine prescribing in elderly persons.BMC Fam. Pract. 2009; 10https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2296-10-1
- Benzodiazepine use and risk for Alzheimer disease.J. Clin. Psychopharmacol. 2015; 35: 1-3https://doi.org/10.1097/JCP.0000000000000247
B. McIntosh, M. Clark, C. Spry, Benzodiazepines in Older Adults: A Review of Clinical Effectiveness, Cost-Effectiveness, and Guidelines, Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health, Ottawa (ON), 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK174561/ (Accessed September 1, 2015).
- Fall risk assessment and prevention.Oncol. Williston Park N. 2011; 25: 17-22
- Benzodiazepine dependency in the elderly: how to deal with it.Praxis. 2016; 105: 637-641https://doi.org/10.1024/1661-8157/a002363
- The problems of long-term treatment with benzodiazepines and related substances.Dtsch. Ärztebl. Int. 2015; 112: 1-7https://doi.org/10.3238/arztebl.2015.0001
- Number and dosage of central nervous system medications on recurrent falls in community elders: the Health, Aging and Body Composition study.J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2009; 64: 492-498https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/gln043
- The reappraisal of benzodiazepines in the treatment of anxiety and related disorders.Expert Rev. Neurother. 2014; 14: 1275-1286https://doi.org/10.1586/14737175.2014.963057
- Benzodiazepine use in older adults: dangers, management, and alternative therapies.Mayo Clin. Proc. 2016; 91: 1632-1639https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2016.07.024