- •The Scottish Government devised the Reshaping Care for Older People programme.
- •The rate of older people’s emergency admissions to hospital fell during the course of the programme.
- •Alongside this, this study describes increases in mean length of stay.
- •Overall, however, the number of emergency bed days reduced.
- •These reductions were seen across all quintiles of deprivation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Reshaping Care for Older People: A Programme for Change 2011–2021.Scottish Government, Edinburgh2011
- Health and Social Care Needs of Older People in Scotland: An Epidemiological Assessment.Scottish Public Health Network (ScotPHN), Glasgow2013
- Increasing Emergency Admissions Among Older People in Scotland: A Whole System Account. Whole Systems Project Working Paper 1.NHS Information and Statistics Division, Edinburgh2003
- Trends in Emergency Admissions in England 2004–2009: Is Greater Efficiency Breeding Inefficiency?.Nuffield Trust, London2010
- Understanding Emergency Hospital Admission of Older People.Centre for Health Service Economics and Organisation, Oxford2014 (http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/60622/ (Accessed 25 February 2017))
- Older People and Emergency Bed Use: Exploring Variation.King’s Fund, London2012
- Data Briefing Emergency Bed Use: What the Numbers Tell Us.King’s Fund, London2011
- Influence of concomitant disease on patterns of hospitalization in patients with heart failure discharged from Scottish hospitals in 1995.Eur. Heart J. 1998; 19: 1063-1069
- Primary health care and hospital interactions: effects for hospital length of stay.Scand. J. Public Health. 2005; 33: 114-122
- Severity-adjusted mortality and length of stay in teaching and nonteaching hospitals: results of a regional study.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 1997; 278: 485-490
- Factors influencing the length of hospital stay of patients with heart failure.Eur. J. Heart Fail. 2003; 5: 201-209
- Stranded: causes and effects of discharge delays involving non-acute in-patients requiring maintenance care in a tertiary hospital general medicine service, Aust.Health Rev . 2016; 41: 54-62
- Reshaping Care for Older People: trends in emergency admissions to hospital during a period of simultaneous interventions in Glasgow City, April 2011–March 2015.Maturitas. 2016; 94: 92-97
- SIMD.2012 (http://simd.scotland.gov.uk/publication-2012/ (Accessed 25 February 2017))
- MLwiN Version 2.1.Centre for Multilevel Modelling, Bristol2009
- Zero-inflated negative binomial mixed regression modeling of over-dispersed count data with extra zeros.Biom. J. 2003; 45: 437-452
- Measures of health inequalities: part 2.J. Epidemiol. Community Health. 2004; 58: 900-903
- Health at a Glance 2015: OECD Indicators.OECD Publishing, Paris2015
- Do hospital length of stay and staffing ratio affect elderly patients' risk of readmission? A nation-wide study of Norwegian hospitals.Health Serv. Res. 2002; 37: 647-665
- Associations between reduced hospital length of stay and 30-day readmission rate and mortality: 14-year experience in 129 Veterans Affairs hospitals.Ann. Intern. Med. 2012; 157: 837-845
- Reducing emergency admissions: are we on the right track?.BMJ. 2012; 345: e6017
- Accident and Emergency Waiting Times.Scottish Government, Edinburgh2016 (http://www.gov.scot/About/Performance/scotPerforms/NHSScotlandperformance/AE-LDP (accessed 25.02.17))
- Emergency Admissions to Hospital: Managing the Demand.The Stationery Office, National Audit Office, London2013
- The impact of a new emergency admission avoidance system for older people on length of stay and same-day discharges.Age Ageing. 2014; 43: 116-121
- How and why do interventions that increase health overall widen inequalities within populations.in: Babones S.J. Social Inequality and Public Health. Policy Press, Bristol2009: 65-82
- 2016. Interrupted time series regression for the evaluation of public health interventions: a tutorial.Int. J. Epidemiol. 2017; 1: 348-355
K.A. Levin, J. Carson, E. Crighton, Measuring the impact of a public awareness campaign to increase Welfare Power of Attorney registrations in Scotland, Age Ageing, in press. https://academic.oup.com/ageing/article-abstract/doi/10.1093/ageing/afw249/2926035/Measuring-the-impact-of-a-public.