- •Access to anti-osteoporosis medication after hip fracture was found to be suboptimal in Korea.
- •One in three elderly patients with hip fracture received osteoporosis drug therapy.
- •Very old age, male sex, and comorbidity were risk factors for under-treatment.
- •Thiazolidinedione use was a predictive factor for hip fracture treatment in women.
Abbreviations:AOM (anti osteoporotic medications), IOF (International Osteoporosis Foundation), NOF (National Osteoporosis Foundation), HIRA-APS (Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service-Adult Patient Sample), HIRA (Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service), ICD (International Classification of Diseases), DXA (dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry), CCI (Charlson Comorbidity Index), SERM (selective estrogen receptor modulator), OR (odds ratio), CI (confidence interval), SD (standard deviation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Mortality risk associated with low-trauma osteoporotic fracture and subsequent fracture in men and women.JAMA J.AM. Med. Assoc. 2009; 301: 513-521
- Incidence and economic burden of osteoporosis-related fractures in the United States, 2005–2025.J. Bone. Miner. Res. 2007; 22: 465-475
- Geographic and ethnic disparities in osteoporotic fractures.Nat. Rev. Endocrinol. 2014; 10: 338-351
- Current trends and future projections of hip fracture in South Korea using nationwide claims data.Osteoporos. Int. 2016; 27: 2603-2609
- Clinician's guide to prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.Osteoporos. Int. 2014; 25: 2359-2381
- European guidance for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.Osteoporos. Int. 2013; 24: 23-57
- The effect of osteoporotic treatment on the functional outcome, re-fracture rate, quality of life and mortality in patients with hip fractures: a prospective functional and clinical outcome study on 520 patients.Injury. 2015; 46: 378-383
- Zoledronic acid and clinical fractures and mortality after hip fracture.N. Engl. J. Med. 2007; 357: 1799-1809
- Use of osteoporosis medications after hospitalization for hip fracture: a cross-national study.Am. J. Med. 2015; 128: 519-526
- Antiresorptive therapy and risk of mortality and refracture in osteoporosis-related hip fracture: a nationwide study.Osteoporos. Int. 2016; 27: 387-396
- Osteoporosis medication use after hip fracture in U. S, patients between 2002 and 2011.J. Bone. Miner Res. 2014; 29: 1929-1937
- Incidence and mortality of hip fracture among the elderly population in South Korea: a population-based study using the national health insurance claims data.BMC public health. 2010; 10: 230
- Gender inequalities in the treatment of osteoporosis.Maturitas. 2015; 80: 162-169
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J. Chronic. Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Comparative efficacy of bisphosphonates in short-term fracture prevention for primary osteoporosis: a systematic review with network meta-analyses.Osteoporos. Int. 2016;
- Effects of vitamin K in postmenopausal women: mini review.Maturitas. 2014; 77: 294-299
- Osteoporosis pharmacotherapy and counseling services in US ambulatory care clinics: opportunities for multidisciplinary interventions.Am. J. Geriatr. Pharmacother. 2008; 6: 240-248
- Change notification to reimbursement standards.2012 (http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/jb/sjb0406ls.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=030406, (Accessed 16 August 20))
- Age-related pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic changes and related risk of adverse drug reactions.Curr. Med. Chem. 2010; 17: 571-584
- Comorbidity and repeat admission to hospital for adverse drug reactions in older adults: retrospective cohort study.BMJ. 2009; 338: a2752
- Medical characteristics of the oldest old: retrospective chart review of patients aged 85+ in an academic primary care centre.BMC Res notes. 2014; 7: 340
- Medical management of fragility fractures of the distal radius.Orthopedics. 2014; 37: e1068-1073
- Factors associated to institutionalization and mortality over three years, in elderly people with a hip fracture-An observational study.Maturitas. 2016; 89: 9-15
- Meta-analysis: excess mortality after hip fracture among older women and men.Ann. Intern. Med. 2010; 152: 380-390
- Thiazolidinedione treatment decreases bone mineral density in type 2 diabetic men.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 1574-1576
- Oral anti-diabetic drugs and fracture risk, cut to the bone: safe or dangerous? A narrative review.Osteoporos. Int. 2015; 26: 2073-2089
- Thiazolidinedione use and bone loss in older diabetic adults.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2006; 91: 3349-3354
- Long-term use of thiazolidinediones and fractures in type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis.CMAJ. 2009; 180: 32-39
- Once-yearly zoledronic acid for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.N. Engl. J. Med. 2007; 356: 1809-1822
- Salmon calcitonin use and associated cancer risk.Ann. Pharmacother. 2013; 47: 1675-1684