- •Women attending mammography screening had their bone mass evaluated with digital X-ray radiogrammetry (DXR).
- •Those with the lowest bone mineral density as determined by DXR were referred for standard DXA examination (n = 327).
- •Of these 327 women, 93 had osteoporosis.
- •The diagnosis was new in 79 cases (85%) and a potential underlying cause was identified in 32 cases (34%). Primary hyperparathyroidism was found in 9% and secondary hyperparathyroidism in 14%.
Main outcome measure
Abbreviations:DXR (digital X-ray Radiogrammetry), DXA (dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry), BMD (bone mineral density)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
- Screening for osteoporosis.JAMA. 2015; 313: 1467-1468
- Clinician’s guide to prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.Osteoporosis Int. 2014; 25: 2359-2381
- The risk-stratified osteoporosis strategy evaluation study (ROSE): a randomized prospective population-based study. design and baseline characteristics.Calcif. Tissue Int. 2015; 96: 167-179
 The National Board of Health and Welfare, NATIONELLA RIKTLINJER FÖR RÖRELSEORGANENS SJUKDOMAR 2012–UPPDATERING 2014. <http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/SiteCollectionDocuments/2012-5-1-uppdatering.pdf %3E, 2014) (Accessed 16 November 2016)
- Screening for Osteoporosis in Postmenopausal Women − A Report for the UK National Screening Committee.Solutions for Public Health, 2013
- A systematic review of hip fracture incidence and probability of fracture worldwide.Osteoporosis Int. 2012; 23: 2239-2256
- Cost-effectiveness of fracture prevention in rural women with limited access to dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry.Osteoporosis Int. 2015; : 1-9
- Osteoporosis care at risk in the United States.Osteoporosis Int. 2008; 19: 1505-1509
- Secondary causes of osteoporosis.Mayo Clin. Proc. 2002; 77: 453-468
- The prevalence of recognized contributors to secondary osteoporosis in South East Asian men and post-menopausal women. Are Z score diagnostic thresholds useful predictors of their presence?.Arch. Osteoporos. 2012; 7: 49-56
- The utility of BMD Z-score diagnostic thresholds for secondary causes of osteoporosis.Osteoporosis Int. 2011; 22: 1069-1077
- Digital X-ray radiogrammetry in the study of osteoporotic fractures: comparison to dual energy X-ray absorptiometry and FRAX.Bone. 2016; 86: 30-35
- A technical and clinical evaluation of digital X-ray radiogrammetry.Osteoporosis Int. 2003; 14: 389-395
- Estimation of bone mineral density by digital X-ray radiogrammetry: theoretical background and clinical testing.Osteoporosis Int. 2001; 12: 961-969
- The ability of hand digital X-ray radiogrammetry to identify middle-aged and elderly women with reduced bone density, as assessed by femoral neck dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry.J. Clin. Densitom. 2010; 13: 418-425
- Identifying postmenopausal women with osteoporosis by calcaneal ultrasound, metacarpal digital X-ray radiogrammetry and phalangeal radiographic absorptiometry: a comparative study.Osteoporosis Int. 2005; 16: 93-100
- A normative reference database study for pronosco X-posure system™.J. Clin. Densitom. 2001; 4: 5-12
- The use of digital X-ray radiogrammetry and peripheral dual energy X-ray absorptiometry in patients attending fracture clinic after distal forearm fracture.Bone. 2004; 34: 716-719
- Potential sources of quantification error when retrospectively assessing metacarpal bone loss from historical radiographs by using digital X-ray radiogrammetry: an experimental study.J. Clin. Densitom. 2014; 17: 104-108
- The precision of digital X-ray radiogrammetry compared with DXA in subjects with normal bone density or osteoporosis.J. Clin. Densitom. 2005; 8: 187-190
- Long-term in-vitro precision of direct digital X-ray radiogrammetry.Skeletal Radiol. 2011; 40: 1575-1579
- Digital X-ray radiogrammetry of hand or wrist radiographs can predict hip fracture risk—a study in 5,420 women and 2,837 men.Eur. Radiol. 2012; : 1-9
- Mammography and osteoporosis Screening—Clinical risk factors and their association with digital X-Ray radiogrammetry bone mineral density.J. Clin. Densitom. 2015; 18: 22-29
ISCD, 6th ISCD Position Development Conference (Adult). <http://www.iscd.org/official-positions/6th-iscd-position-development-conference-adult/%3E, 2015 (Accessed 16 November 2016).
- Primary hyperparathyroidism revisited in menopausal women with serum calcium in the upper normal range at population-based screening 8 years ago.World J. Surg. 2002; 26: 931-936
- Population-based screening for primary hyperparathyroidism with serum calcium and parathyroid hormone values in menopausal women.Surgery. 1997; 121: 287-294
- Primary hyperparathyroidism is common in postmenopausal women with forearm fracture and low bone mineral density.Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. 2007; 86: 61-64
- Correlation in restricted ranges of data.Br. Med. J. 2011; 342: d556