- •Moxibustion is a type of traditional medicine that involves the use of heat from burning moxa to stimulate acupoints. It may be able to reduce pain.
- •Eleven randomized clinical trials met our inclusion criteria.
- •This systematic review provides moderate evidence for the effectiveness of moxibustion in pain and symptom management in knee osteoarthritis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Current interventions in the management of knee osteoarthritis.J. Pharm. Bioall. Sci. 2013; 5: 30-38
- Osteoarthritis: an update with relevance for clinical practice.Lancet. 2011; 377: 2115-2126
WHO Scientific Group on the Burden of Musculoskeletal Conditions at the Start of the New Millennium, The burden of musculoskeletal conditions at the start of the new millenium: report of a WHO scientific group. 2003 (Accessed 03 February 2016).
National Clinical Guideline Centre, National institute for health and clinical excellence: Guidance, Osteoarthritis: Care and management in adults, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (UK) London, 2014.
- Lifetime risk of symptomatic knee osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 59: 1207-1213
- Prevalence of symptomatic hand osteoarthritis and its impact on functional status among the elderly: the Framingham Study.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2002; 156: 1021-1027
- The global economic cost of osteoarthritis: how the UK compares.Arthritis. 2012; 2012: 698709
- Management of osteoarthritis of the knee.BMJ. 2012; 345: e4934
- A review on the management of hip and knee osteoarthritis.Int. J. Chron. Dis. 2013; 2013: 845015
- Pain management with acupuncture in osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Complement. Altern. Med. 2014; 14: 312
- A systematic critical appraisal for non-pharmacological management of osteoarthritis using the appraisal of guidelines research and evaluation II instrument.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e82986
- Acupuncture for peripheral joint osteoarthritis.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2010; 1 (Cd001977)
- Acupuncture in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee or hip: a randomized, controlled trial with an additional nonrandomized arm.Arthritis Rheum. 2006; 54: 3485-3493
- Obesity and symptomatic osteoarthritis of the knee.J. Bone Joint Surg. Br. 2012; 94: 433-440
World Health Organization Western Pacific Region, WHO International Standard Terminologies on Traditional Medicine in the Western Pacific Region. Manila, 2007.
- Safety of moxibustion: a systematic review of case reports.Evid. Based Complement. Alternat. Med. 2014; 2014: 783704
- Bibliometric analysis of diseases spectrum of moxibustion therapy.J. Acupunct. Tuina Sci. 2012; 10: 342-348
- Acupuncture and other physical treatments for the relief of pain due to osteoarthritis of the knee: network meta-analysis.Osteoarthr. Cartil. 2013; 21: 1290-1298
- Acupuncture and osteoarthritis of the knee: a review of randomized, controlled trials.Fam. Commun. Health. 2008; 31: 247-254
- Acupuncture for peripheral joint osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2006; 45: 1331-1337
- Systematic evaluation and meta analysis of clinical effectiveness of heat-sensitive moxibustion for knee osteoarthritis.J. Guangzhou Univ. TCM. 2015; 01
- Moxibustion treatment for knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95: e3244
- Moxibustion is an alternative in treating knee osteoarthritis: the evidence from systematic review and meta-analysis.Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95: e2790
- Moxibustion for the treatment of osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Rheumatol. Int. 2012; 32: 2969-2978
- Extending the CONSORT statement to moxibustion.J. Integr. Med. 2013; 11: 54-63
- Chapter 8: assessing risk of bias in included studies.in: Higgins J. Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 510. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011
- Effectiveness of moxibustion treatment in quality of life in patients with knee osteoarthritis: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial.Evid. Based Complement. Alternat. Med. 2015; 2015: 569523
- Knee osteoarthritis treated with moxibustion: a randomized controlled trial.Chin. Acupunct. Moxibust. 2011; 31: 1057-1061
- Effectiveness of moxibustion treatment as adjunctive therapy in osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled clinical trial.Arthritis Res. Ther. 2014; 16: R133
- Observations on the therapeutic effect of heat-sensitive point thunder-fire moxibustion on knee osteoarthritis.Shangh. J. Acup. Moxi. 2015; 34: 665-667
- Salt insulation moxibustion in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: analysis of 35 cases.J. Clin. Acup. Moxi. 2015; 31: 14-17
- Clinical research of treating knee osteoarthritis by gesan qibing moxibustion.J. Clin. Acup. Moxi. 2013; 29: 40-42
- Clinical study of differential selection of objects separated moxibustion for treatment of knee osteoarthritis.Clin. J. Tradit. Chin. Med. 2008; 20: 114-116
- Clinical observations on the treatment of primary genual osteoarthritis of liver-kidney depletion type by aconite cake-separated moxibustion.Shangh. J. Acup. Moxi. 2008; 27: 9-10
- Clinical study panax notoginsengs cake separated moxibustion treatment of qi stagnation blood stasis type for primary knee osteoarthritis.Clin. J. Tradit. Chin. Med. 2008; 20: 53-55
- Observations on the therapeutic effect of herbal cake-separated moderate moxibustion on knee osteoarthritis of 50 cases.Zhejiang J. Tradit. Chin. Med. 2010; 45: 759
- Observations on the therapeutic effect of herbal cake-separated moxibustion on knee osteoarthritis of blood stasis type.Shangh. J. Acup. Moxi. 2010; 29: 45-47
- Clinical observation of moxibustion combined with knee joint rehabilitation for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis.J. Clin. Acup. Moxi. 2015; 31: 7-9
- Clinical observation of moxibustion in treatment of knee osteoarthritis.Shangh. J. Acup. Moxi. 2014; 33: 1086-1088
- The clinical effects and safety of moxibustion and celecoxib for obteoarthritis of knee.Chin. J. Tradit. Med. Trauma Orthop. 2011; 19: 1315
- Heat-sensitive moxibustion in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: a three-armed multicentre randomised active control trial.Acupunct. Med. 2015; 33: 262-269
- Moxibustion on heat-sensitive acupoints in the treatment of KOA (Swelling Type).J. Clin. Acup. Moxi. 2011; 27: 1-4
- The Clinical Observationon the Therapy of Knee Joint Osteoarthritis Using Moderate Moxibustion.Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine, 2009 (Master degree)
- Clinical research of moxibustion in treating knee joint osteoarthritis.Chin. J. Tradit. Med. Trauma. Orthop. 2009; 17: 38-39
- Moxibustion treatment for knee osteoarthritis: a multi-centre, non-blinded, randomised controlled trial on the effectiveness and safety of the moxibustion treatment versus usual care in knee osteoarthritis patients.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e101973
- Systematic review of the empirical evidence of study publication bias and outcome reporting bias − an updated review.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e66844
- Many scenarios exist for selective inclusion and reporting of results in randomized trials and systematic reviews.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2013; 66: 524-537
- CONSORT 2010 statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomized trials.Ann. Intern. Med. 2010; 152: 726-732
- Thermal properties of direct and indirect moxibustion.J. Acupunct. Merid. Stud. 2009; 2: 273-279
- Adverse events of moxibustion: a systematic review.Complement. Ther. Med. 2010; 18: 215-223
- Safety of moxibustion: a systematic review of case reports.Evid. Based Complement. Alternat. Med. 2014; 2013: 783704
- Do certain countries produce only positive results? A systematic review of controlled trials.Control. Clin. Trials. 1998; 19: 159-166