- •We examine factors related to CVD and physician communication among older Veterans.
- •Data from the 2010 National Social Life, Health and Aging Project was examined.
- •Veterans with CVD were more likely to have comorbidities and sexual dysfunctions.
- •Veterans who discussed sex with a physician had CVD, sex in the past year, and ED.
Abbreviations:OR (odds ratio), CVD (cardiovascular disease), ED (erectile dysfunction), VA (Veterans Health Administration), NSHAP (National Social Life, Health, and Aging Project), ADL (activities of daily living), CES-D (Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale), TRT (testosterone replacement therapy), AMA (American Medical Association), EDM (erectile dysfunction medication)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
- Correlates of chronic disease and patient-provider discussions among middle-aged and older adult males: implications for successful aging and sexuality.Aging Male. 2012; 15: 115-123
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Death and Mortality. NCHS FastStats Web site http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm (accessed 19.06.14).
- Sexual dysfunction in the United States: prevalence and predictors.JAMA: J. Am. Med. Assoc. 1999; 281: 537-544
- Erectile dysfunction and cardiovascular disease.Mayo Clin. Proc. 2004; 79: 782-794
- Clonazepam-related sexual dysfunction in male veterans with PTSD.Anxiety. 1994; 1: 233-236
- Sexual dysfunction among male veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan: prevalence and correlates.J. Sex. Med. 2013; 10: 516-523
- Seeking help for erectile dysfunction after treatment for prostate cancer.Arch. Sex. Behav. 2004; 33: 443-454
National Center for Veterans Analysis and Statistics. Veteran Population by Age/Gender (2016), http://www.va.gov/vetdata/docs/Demographics/New_Vetpop_Model/1L_VetPop2014.xlsx (accessed 1.05.16).
- The VA's systems of care and the Veterans under care.Generations. 2010; 34: 13-19
- The Health of Male Veterans and Nonveterans Aged 25–64: United States, 2007–2010.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, USA2012
- Evidence of poorer life-course mental health outcomes among veterans of the Korean War cohort.Aging Ment. Health. 2010; 14: 177-183
- The impact of sexual functioning problems on mental well-being in US veterans from the Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF) conflicts.Int. J. Sex. Health. 2012; 24: 14-25
- Perspectives on sexual health and function of recent male combat veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan.Sex. Med. 2015; 3: 137-146
- Erectile Dysfunction.American Urology Association, Linthicum, MD2005
- Problems in sexual functioning among male OEF/OIF veterans seeking treatment for posttraumatic stress.Compr. Psychiatry. 2015; 58: 74-81
- Erectile dysfunction.J. Urol. 2007; 177: 1675-1681
- Health-related quality of life in men with erectile dysfunction.J. Gen. Intern. Med. 1998; 13: 159-166
- Sexuality and aging in male veterans: a cross-sectional study of interest, ability, and activity.Arch. Sex. Behav. 1991; 20: 17-25
U.S Department of Veterans Affairs. My healthevet (Website), 2013, http://www.myhealth.va.gov (accessed 28.08.13).
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the VA Healthcare System: A Systematic Review.Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, DC2007
- Physician-patient communication in the primary care office: a systematic review.J. Am. Board Fam. Pract. 2002; 15: 25-38
- Instrument development, study design implementation, and survey conduct for the National Social Life, Health, and Aging Project.J. Gerontol. Ser. B: Psychol. Sci. Soc. Sci. 2009; 64: i20-i29
- The national social life health, and aging project: an introduction.J. Gerontol. Ser. B: Psychol. Sci. Soc. Sci. 2009; 64: i5-i11
- Progress in development of the index of ADL.Gerontologist. 1970; 10: 20-30
- Studies of illness in the aged. The Index of ADL: a standardized measure of biological and psychosocial function.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 1963; 185: 914-919
- Sexual behaviors, healthcare interactions, and HIV-related perceptions among adults age 60 years and older: an investigation by race/ethnicity.Curr. HIV Res. 2015; 13: 359-368
- Depressive symptomology management and falls among middle aged and older adults.Aging Ment. Health. 2016; 20: 13-21
- Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale (CES-D) as a screening instrument for depression among community-residing older adults.Psychol. Aging. 1997; 12: 277
- Screening for depression in well older adults: evaluation of a short form of the CES-D.Am. J. Prev. Med. 1994; 10: 77-84
- National Social Life, Health, and Aging Project (NSHAP) Wave 2 In-Person and Leave-Behind Questionnaires.NORC at the University of Chicago, Chicago, IL2011
- Diagnosis and treatment guidelines: the Princeton III consensus recommendations for the management of erectile dysfunction and cardiovascular disease.Mayo Clin. Proc. 2012; 87: 766-778
- Veterans’ satisfaction with erectivle dysfunction treatment.Fed. Pract. 2016; 33: 33-37
- Sexual dysfunction among older adults: prevalence and risk factors from a nationally representative U.S. probability sample of men and women 57–85 years of age.J. Sex. Med. 2008; 5: 2300-2311
- Definitions/epidemiology/risk factors for sexual dysfunction.J. Sex. Med. 2010; 7: 1598-1607
- Trends in use of high-risk medications for older Veterans: 2004 to 2006.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2011; 59: 1891-1898
- Association between smoking and erectile dysfunction: a population-based study.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2005; 161: 346-351
- Medication acquisition across systems of care and patient-provider communication among older veterans.Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm. 2013; 70: 804-813
- Meta-analysis: effect of interactive communication between collaborating primary care physicians and specialists.Ann. Intern. Med. 2010; 152: 247-258
- Erectile dysfunctions in patient–physician communication: optimized strategies for addressing sexual issues and the benefit of using a patient questionnaire.J. Sex. Med. 2007; 4: 38-46
- Veterans' perceptions of care by nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and physicians: a comparison from satisfaction surveys.J. Am. Acad. Nurse Pract. 2010; 22: 170-176
- Characteristics of ambulatory care clinics and pharmacists in Veterans Affairs medical centers: an update.Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm. 2008; 65: 631-635
- Health and health behavior differences: US military, veteran, and civilian men.Am. J. Prev. Med. 2012; 43: 483-489
- Projecting US primary care physician workforce needs: 2010–2025.Ann. Fam. Med. 2012; 10: 503-509
- What are the consequences of waiting for health care in the veteran population?.J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2011; 26: 676-682
- Helping patients with localized prostate carcinoma manage uncertainty and treatment side effects: nurse-delivered psychoeducational intervention over the telephone.Cancer. 2002; 94: 1854-1866
- A model of women's sexual arousal.J. Sex Marital Ther. 2002; 28: 1-10
- A biopsychosocial approach to sexual recovery after prostate cancer surgery: the role of grief and mourning.J. Sex Marital Ther. 2011; 37: 130-144
American Medical Association. Exam Room Computing & Patient-Physician Interactions. 2013. https://www.ama-assn.org/ssl3/ecomm/PolicyFinderForm.pl?site=www.ama-assn.org&uri=/resources/html/PolicyFinder/policyfiles/DIR/D-478.977.htm (accessed 19.06.14).
- Brief questions to identify patients with inadequate health literacy.Fam. Med. 2004; 36: 588-594