- •Smoking is associated with increased follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and unrelated to anti-Müllerian hormone (AMH).
- •This observation suggests that current smoking either impairs the development of antral follicles or dysregulates the hypothalamic–pituitary–ovarian axis.
- •The absence of an association with anti-Müllerian hormone argues against mechanisms related to accelerated follicle atresia.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
- The relationship between smoking and age at the menopause: a systematic review.Maturitas. 2008; 61: 287-298
- The normal menopause transition.Maturitas. 1992; 14: 103-115
- Associations with menopause and menopausal transition in a nationally representative US sample.Maturitas. 2003; 45: 89-97
- Helping midlife women predict the onset of the final menses: SWAN the study of women’s health across the nation.Menopause. 2007; 14: 415-424
- Determinants of basal follicle-stimulating hormone levels in premenopausal women.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 1994; 79: 1105-1109
- Follicle-stimulating hormone concentrations in relation to active and passive smoking.Obstet. Gynecol. 1995; 85: 407-411
- Serum follicle-stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone levels in women aged 35–60 in the U.S. population: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III 1988–1994).Menopause. 1999; 6: 29-35
- Determinants of early follicular phase gonadotrophin and estradiol concentrations in women of late reproductive age.Hum. Reprod. 2002; 17: 221-227
- Reproductive hormones in the early menopausal transition: relationship to ethnicity, body size, and menopausal status.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2003; 88: 1516-1522
- Cigarette smoking and effects on hormone function in premenopausal women.Environ. Health Perspect. 2005; 113: 1285-1290
- Smoking, alcohol and caffeine in relation to ovarian age during the reproductive years.Hum. Reprod. 2007; 22: 1175-1185
- Ovarian function and cigarette smoking in the BioCycle Study.Paediatr. Perinat. Epidemiol. 2010; 24: 433-440
- Smoking and AMH levels in women with normal reproductive history.Arch. Gynecol. Obstet. 2010; 282: 215-219
- Cigarette smoke exposure leads to follicle loss via an alternative ovarian cell death pathway in a mouse model.Toxicol. Sci. 2012; 125: 274-284
- Smoking induces oxidative stress inside the Graafian follicle.Hum. Reprod. 2002; 17: 921-925
- Potential roles of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor in female reproductive senescence.Reprod. Biol. 2004; 4: 243-258
- Anti-Mullerian hormone expression pattern in the human ovary: potential implications for initial and cyclic follicle recruitment.Mol. Hum. Reprod. 2004; 10: 77-83
- Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH) protein expression is reduced during the initial stages of follicle development in human polycystic ovaries.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2005; 90: 5536-5543
- Diagnostic role of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) measurements during the menopausal transition-an analysis of FSH, oestradiol and inhibin.Eur. J. Endocrinol. 1994; 130: 38-42
- Inhibin and reproductive aging.Exp. Gerontol. 2000; 35: 33-39
- Gonadotropins in women with amenorrhea. The use of plasma follicle-stimulating hormone to differentiate women with and without ovarian follicles.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1973; 116: 1003-1012
- Is the short follicular phase in older women secondary to advanced or accelerated dominant follicle development?.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2002; 87: 5746-5750
- Correlation of ovarian reserve tests with histologically determined primordial follicle number.Fertil. Steril. 2010; 95: 170-175
- Reproductive and lifestyle determinants of anti-Mullerian hormone in a large population-based study.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2013; 98: 2106-2115
- Effect of cigarette smoking upon reproductive hormones in women of reproductive age: a retrospective analysis.Reprod. Biomed. Online. 2010; 20: 861-865
- Normal serum anti-Mullerian hormone levels in the general female population and the relationship with reproductive history.Eur. J. Obstet. Gynecol. Reprod. Biol. 2012; 163: 180-184
- Serum antimullerian hormone in healthy premenopausal women.Fertil. Steril. 2011; 95: 2718-2721
- Predictors of ovarian follicle number.Fertil. Steril. 2000; 74: 624-628
- Alcohol, caffeine and smoking in relation to age at menopause.Maturitas. 2006; 54: 27-38
- Measures of menopausal status in relation to demographic, reproductive, and behavioral characteristics in a population-based study of women aged 35–49 years.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2001; 153: 1159-1165
- Early follicular phase hormone levels in relation to patterns of alcohol, tobacco, and coffee use.Fertil. Steril. 2001; 76: 723-729
- Caffeinated beverage and soda consumption and time to pregnancy.Epidemiology. 2012; 23: 393-401
- Skewed X chromosome inactivation and trisomic spontaneous abortion: no association.Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2009; 85: 179-193
- Trisomic pregnancy and elevated FSH: implications for the oocyte pool hypothesis.Hum. Reprod. 2011; 26: 1537-1550
- Moderate alcohol consumption and estrogen levels in postmenopausal women: a review.Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. 1998; 22: 994-997
- Beverage caffeine intake in US consumers and subpopulations of interest: estimates from the Share of Intake Panel survey.Food Chem. Toxicol. 2004; 42: 1923-1930
R. International Food Information Council Foundation, Caffeine & Health: Clarifying The Controversies. http://www.foodinsight.org/Content/3147/Caffeine_v8-2.pdf (2008) (04.08.14).
- Caffeine consumption.Food Chem. Toxicol. 1996; 34: 119-129
Beverage Digest, Special Issue Top-10 CSD Results for 2006. http://www.beverage-digest.com/pdf/top-10_2007.pdf (accessed 04.15.14) (2007) (5).
American Beverage Association, Nutrition & Health: Caffeine. http://www.chemistry.sjsu.edu/rterrill/ped/155/S05Lab/caffeinecontent.pdf (2005) (04.15.14).
- Trisomic pregnancy and the oocyte pool.Hum. Reprod. 2004; 19: 1633-1643
- Normal serum concentrations of anti-Mullerian hormone in women with regular menstrual cycles.Reprod. Biomed. Online. 2012; 21: 463-469
- The impact of smoking on antimullerian hormone levels in women aged 38–50 years.Menopause. 2010; 17: 571-576
- The association between in utero cigarette smoke exposure and age at menopause.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2008; 167: 727-733
- Association of intrauterine and early-life exposures with age at menopause in the sister study.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2010; 172: 140-148
- Life course exposure to smoke and early menopause and the menopausal transition.Menopause. 2015; 22: 1076-1083
- The number of oogonia and somatic cells in the human female embryo and fetus in relation to whether or not exposed to maternal cigarette smoking.Hum. Reprod. 2009;
- Two new automated compared with two enzyme-linked immunosorbent, antimullerian hormone assays.Fertil. Steril. 2015; 104: 1016-1021
- High reproducibility of serum anti-Mullerian hormone measurements suggests a multi-staged follicular secretion and strengthens its role in the assessment of ovarian follicular status.Hum. Reprod. 2005; 20: 923-927
- Intercycle variability of day 3 follicle-stimulating hormone levels and its effect on stimulation quality in vitro fertilization.Fertil. Steril. 1990; 54: 297-302
- Ovarian reserve and anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH) in mothers of dizygotic twins.Twin Res Hum Genet. 2013; 16: 634-638