- •Vitamin D may be involved in ocular health and function.
- •High concentrations 25-hydroxyvitamin D are associated with less age-related macular degeneration.
- •Concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D under 50 nmol/L are associated with late-stage age-related macular degeneration.
- •These findings provide a scientific basis for vitamin D replacement trials.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Vitamin D deficiency.N. Engl. J. Med. 2007; 357: 266-281
- Vitamin D in the ederly: 5 points to remember.Geriatr. Psychol. Neuropsychiatr. Vieil. 2011; 9: 259-267
- Vitamin D: implications for ocular disease and therapeutic potential.Exp. Eye Res. 2015; 134: 101-110
- Dietary modification and supplementation for the treatment of age-related macular degeneration.Nutr. Rev. 2015; 73: 448-462
- Vitamin D and macular thickness in the elderly: an optical coherence tomography study.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2014; 55: 5298-5303
- Age-related vitamin D deficiency is associated with reduced macular ganglion cell complex: a cross-sectional high-definition optical coherence tomography study.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0130879
- Serum vitamin D status is associated with the presence but not the severity of primary open angle glaucoma.Maturitas. 2015; 81: 470-474
- Association between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations and vision: a cross-sectional population-based study of older adults.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2011; 59: 568-570
- Smoking, dietary betaine, methionine, and vitamin d in monozygotic twins with discordant macular degeneration: epigenetic implications.Ophthalmology. 2011; 118: 1386-1394
- Global data on visual impairment in the year 2002.Bull. World. Health. Organ. 2004; 82: 844-851
- Plasma lutein and zeaxanthin and other carotenoids as modifiable risk factors for age-related maculopathy and cataract: the POLA Study.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2006; 47: 2329-2335
- An ultrastructural study of the role of leucocytes and fibroblasts in the breakdown of Bruch's membrane.Aust. J. Ophthalmol. 1984; 12: 23-31
- Age related macular degeneration and subretinal neovessels. Primary cause of acquired blindness in adults in France.Rev. Prat. 1991; 41: 2320-2322
- Age-related macular degeneration.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358: 2606-2617
- The strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2008; 61: 344-349
- Association between vitamin d and age-related macular degeneration in the third national health and nutrition examination survey, 1988 through 1994.Arch. Ophthalmol. 2007; 125: 661-669
- Vitamin D status and early age-related macular degeneration in postmenopausal women.Arch. Ophthalmol. 2011; 129: 481-489
- Reconsidering the connection between vitamin D levels and age-related macular degeneration.Eye (London). 2011; 25: 1122-1129
- Systems biology-based analysis implicates a novel role for vitamin D metabolism in the pathogenesis of age-related macular degeneration.Hum. Genomics. 2011; 5: 538-568
- Association between hypovitaminosis D and late stages of age-related macular degeneration: a case-control study.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2012; 60: 1367-1369
- Association of vitamin D deficiency and age-related macular degeneration in medicare beneficiaries.Arch. Ophthalmol. 2012; 130: 1070-1071
- The association between plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D and subgroups in age-related macular degeneration: a cross-sectional study.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e70948
- Inverse relationship between high blood 25-hydroxyvitamin D and late stage of age-related macular degeneration in a representative Korean population.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2014; 55: 4823-4831
- Vitamin D deficiency in neovascular versus nonneovascular age-related macular degeneration.Retina. 2014; 34: 1779-1786
- Deficiency in community-dwelling elderly is not associated with age-related macular degeneration.J. Nutr. 2015; 145 (1865–1772)
- Association between vitamin D status and age-related macular degeneration by genetic risk.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015; 133: 1171-1179
- A spreadsheet for the calculation of comprehensive statistics for the assessment of diagnostic tests and inter-rater agreement.Comput. Biol. Med. 2000; 30: 127-134
- Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis.Stat. Med. 2002; 21: 1539-1558
- Vitamin D rejuvenates aging eyes by reducing inflammation, clearing amyloid beta and improving visual function.Neurobiol. Aging. 2012; 33: 2382-2389
- Age-related macular degeneration: an immunologically driven disease.Curr. Opin. Investig. Drugs. 2009; 10: 434-442
- The role of anti-inflammatory agents in agerelated macular degeneration (AMD) treatment.Eye (London). 2011; 25: 127-139
- Calcitriol suppresses antiretinal autoimmunity through inhibitory effects on the Th17 effector response.J. Immunol. 2009; 182: 4624-4632
- Anti-proliferative effects of calcitriol on endothelial cells derived from two different microenvironments.J. Steroid. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 2007; 103: 768-770
- Calcitriol is a potent inhibitor of retina neovascularization.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2007; 48: 2327-2334
- Vitamin D and ageing: neurological issues.Neuropsychobiology. 2010; 62: 139-150
- Vitamin D reduces the expression of collagen and keyprofibrotic factors by inducing an antifibrotic phenotype in mesenchymalmultipotent cells.J. Endocrinol. 2009; 200: 207-221
- Optimal vitamin D status: a critical analysis on the basis of evidence-based medicine.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2013; 98: E1283-304
- 25-Dihydroxyvitamin D decreases HTRA1 promoter activity in the rhesusmonkeyea plausible explanation for the influence of vitamin D on age-relatedmacular degeneration?.Exp. Eye. Res. 2013; 116: 234-239
- Interpretation of random effects meta-analyses.BMJ. 2011; 342: d549