- •Interventions were provided by peers, social networks, support groups or remotely.
- •Interventions targeting social support did not always measure social support outcomes.
- •Multi-component interventions were most effective on social support and well-being outcomes.
- •Caregivers benefit from remote interventions using internet or telephone equipment.
- •Methodological quality of social support intervention studies warrants future attention.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Family caregiving of persons with dementia: prevalence, health effects, and support strategies.Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2004; 12: 240-249
- The impact of early dementia diagnosis and intervention on informal caregivers.Prog. Neurobiol. 2013;
- Dementia a Public Health Priority.World Health Organisation, 2012 (http://www.who.int/mental_health/publications/dementia_report_2012/en/ (accessed 12.03.15))
- Effects of social supports on burden in caregivers of people with dementia.Int. Psychogeriatr. 2014; 26: 1639-1648
- Social relationships and risk of dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal cohort studies.Ageing Res. Rev. 2015; 22: 39-57
- Social support and caregiving burden in family caregivers of frail elders.J. Gerontol. 1993; 48: S245-S254
- Friends and social support in dementia caregiving: assessment and intervention.J. Gerontol. Nurs. 2003; 29: 29-36
- Social support concepts and measures.J. Psychosom. Res. 2010; 69: 511-520
- Social relationships and health.Social Support Measurement and Intervention: A Guide for Health and Social Scientists. Oxford University Press, USA2000: 1-25
- Helping caregivers of persons with dementia: which interventions work and how large are their effects? (structured abstract).Int. Psychogeriatr. 2006; 18: 577-595
- Personalised caregiver support: effectiveness of psychosocial interventions in subgroups of caregivers of people with dementia.Int. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2012; 27: 1-14
- Psychological interventions for carers of people with dementia: a systematic review of quantitative and qualitative evidence.Couns. Psychother. Res. 2013; 13: 106-125
- Helping caregivers of persons with dementia: which interventions work and how large are their effects?.Int. Psychogeriatr. 2006; 18: 577-595
- Caregiver support groups in patients with dementia: a meta-analysis.Int. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2011; 26: 1089-1098
- The impact of volunteer mentoring schemes on carers of people with dementia and volunteer mentors a systematic review.Am. J. Alzheimers Dis. Other Demen. 2014; 29: 8-17
- A systematic review of Internet-based supportive interventions for caregivers of patients with dementia.Int. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2014; 29: 331-344
- Efficacy and experiences of telephone counselling for informal carers of people with dementia.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2014;
- Technology studies to meet the needs of people with dementia and their caregivers a literature review.J. Appl. Gerontol. 2009; 28: 5-37
- Effectiveness of computer-mediated interventions for informal carers of people with dementia—a systematic review.Int. Psychogeriatr. 2014; 26: 1619-1637
- Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. 2011 (accessed 26.02.15)
- Levels of evidence working group.The Oxford Levels of Evidence 2. Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, 2011 (accessed 12.02.15)
- Method guidelines for systematic reviews in the Cochrane Collaboration Back Review Group for spinal disorders.Spine (Phila. 1997; 22: 2323-2330
- The effectiveness of acupuncture in the management of acute and chronic low back pain: a systematic review within the framework of the Cochrane Collaboration Back Review Group.Spine (Phila. 1999; 24: 1113-1123
- Interventions to reduce fear of falling in community‐living older people: a systematic review.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2007; 55: 603-615
- Of apples and oranges, file drawers and garbage: why validity issues in meta-analysis will not go away?.Clin. Psychol. Rev. 1997; 17: 881-901
- Peer Support for Carers: A Qualitative Investigation of the Experiences of Carers and Peer Volunteers.Am. J. Alzheimers Dis. Other Demen. 2013; 28: 617-626
- Befriending carers of people with dementia: randomised controlled trial.Br. Med. J. 2008; 336: 1295-+
- Peer support for Alzheimer’s caregivers: is it enough to make a difference?.Res. Aging. 2002; 24: 171-192
- Befriending carers of people with dementia: a cost utility analysis.Int. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2009; 24: 610-623
- Network therapy: a unique intervention for dementia caregivers.Aging Ment. Health. 1998; 2: 343-345
- Changes in social support as mediators of the impact of a psychosocial intervention for spouse caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s disease.Psychol. Aging. 2005; 20: 634-644
- Predictors of improvement in social support: five-year effects of a structured intervention for caregivers of spouses with Alzheimer’s disease.Soc. Sci. Med. 2006; 63: 957-967
- Does a family meetings intervention prevent depression and anxiety in family caregivers of dementia patients? A randomized trial.PLoS One. 2012; 7
- The cost-effectiveness of a family meetings intervention to prevent depression and anxiety in family caregivers of patients with dementia: a randomized trial.Trials. 2013; 14
M.S. Mittelman, D.L. Roth, D.W. Coon, W.E. Haley, Sustained benefit of supportive intervention for depressive symptoms in caregivers of patients with Alzheimer’s disease, Am. J. Psychiatry. 161 (2004a) 850–856.
M.S. Mittelman, D.L. Roth, W.E. Haley, S.H. Zarit, Effects of a caregiver intervention on negative caregiver appraisals of behavior problems in patients with Alzheimer’s disease: results of a randomized trial, J. Gerontol. B: Psychol. Sci. Social Sci. 59 (2004b) P27–P34.
- Preserving health of Alzheimer’s caregivers: impact of a spouse caregiver intervention.Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2007; 15: 780-789
- Evaluation of Alzheimer’s Australia vic memory lane cafes.Int. Psychogeriatr. 2011; 23: 246-255
- Effect of the Meeting Centres Support Program on informal carers of people with dementia: results from a multi-centre study.Aging Ment. Health. 2006; 10: 112-124
- A support group for caregivers of patients with frontotemporal dementia.Demen.: Int. J. Soc. Res. Pract. 2003; 2: 151-161
- Randomised controlled trial of a family‐led mutual support programme for people with dementia.J. Clin. Nurs. 2011; 20: 2362-2366
- Interventions with care givers of dementia patients: comparison of two approaches.Psychol. Aging. 1987; 2: 225-232
- The moderating effect of self-efficacy on intervention response in women family caregivers of older adults with dementia.Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2006; 14: 642-649
- Change in indices of distress among Latino and Anglo female caregivers of elderly relatives with dementia: site-specific results from the REACH national collaborative study.Gerontologist. 2003; 43: 580-591
- The memory club: providing support to persons with early-stage dementia and their care partners.Am. J. Alzheimers Dis. Other Demen. 2011; 26: 218-226
- An experimental study on the effectiveness of a mutual support group for family caregivers of a relative with dementia in mainland China.Contemp. Nurse. 2012; 40: 210-224
- The effectiveness of a mutual support group for family caregivers of a relative with dementia.Arch. Psychiatr. Nurs. 2002; 16: 134-144
- The Effects of a support group on dementia caregivers’ burden and depression.J. Aging Health. 2011; 23: 228-241
- Psychosocial intervention for family caregivers of people with dementia reduces caregiver’s burden: development and effect after 6 and 12 months.Scand. J. Caring Sci. 2008; 22: 98-109
- The buffering effect of a computer support network on caregiver strain.J. Aging Health. 1998; 10: 20-43
- The effects of a special computer network on caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s disease.Nurs. Res. 1995; 44: 166-172
- Dementia caregivers’ responses to 2 internet-based intervention programs.Am. J. Alzheimers Dis. Other Demen. 2011; 26: 36-43
- The effectiveness of an internet support forum for careers of people with dementia: a pre-post cohort study.J. Med. Internet Res. 2014; 16: 415-428
- A videophone psychosocial intervention for dementia caregivers.Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2013; 21: 1071-1081
- The effect of a family therapy and technology-based intervention on caregiver depression.Gerontologist. 2003; 43: 521-531
- Enhancing the quality of life of dementia caregivers from different ethnic or racial groups—a randomized, controlled trial.Ann. Intern. Med. 2006; 145: 727-738
- E-care: a telecommunications technology intervention for family caregivers of dementia patients.Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2007; 15: 443-448
- A trial of dementia caregiver telephone support.CJNR (Can. J. Nurs. Res.). 2013; 45: 30-48
- Evaluation of a telephone-based support group intervention for female caregivers of community-dwelling individuals with dementia.Am. J. Alzheimers Dis. Other Demen. 2006; 21: 391-397
C. Goodman, Evaluation of a model self-help telephone program: impact on natural networks, Soc. Work 35 (1990b) 556–562.
C.C. Goodman, J. Pynoos, A model telephone information and support program for caregivers of Alzheimer’s patients, Gerontologist 30 (1990b) 399–404.
- Telecare: a social support intervention for family caregivers of dementia victims.Clin. Gerontologist: J. Aging Ment. Health. 1998; 18: 66-69
- Impact of a community based implementation of REACH II program for caregivers of Alzheimer’s patients.PLoS One. 2014; 9: 1-7
- Subjective stressors moderate effectiveness of a multi-component, multi-site intervention on caregiver depression and burden.Int. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. 2014; 29: 406-413
- Effective psychosocial intervention for family caregivers lengthens time elapsed before nursing home placement of individuals with dementia: a five-year follow-up study.Int. Psychogeriatr. 2008; 20: 1177-1192
- Meta-analysis of psychosocial interventions for caregivers of people with dementia.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2003; 51: 657-664
- Mechanisms linking social ties and support to physical and mental health.J. Health Soc. Behav. 2011; 52: 145-161
- A European consensus on outcome measures for psychosocial intervention research in dementia care.Aging Ment. Health. 2008; 12: 14-29
- Measuring social support among older adults.Int. J. Aging Hum. Dev. 1990; 30: 37-53
- Psychosocial interventions for caregivers of people with dementia: a systematic review.Aging Ment. Health. 2001; 5: 120-135
- Systematic review of the effect of psychological interventions on family caregivers of people with dementia.J. Affect. Disord. 2007; 101: 75-89
- Raising the standard of applied dementia care research: addressing the implementation error.Aging Ment. Health. 2014; 18: 809-814