- •We examined the relationship between leukocyte counts and sarcopenia in 2152post-menopausal Korean women who participated in the 2010–2011 Korean National Health Examination and Nutrition Survey.
- •Leukocyte counts were positively related to a higher risk of sarcopenia in postmenopausal women.
- •Leukocyte counts may be another useful predictor of sarcopenia in postmenopausal women.
Main outcome and measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Sarcopenia: origins and clinical relevance.Clin. Geriatr. Med. 2011; 27: 337-339
- Low relative skeletal muscle mass (sarcopenia) in older persons is associated with functional impairment and physical disability.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2002; 50: 889-896
- Muscle strength and quality are associated with severity of menopausal symptoms in peri- and post-menopausal women.Maturitas. 2013; 76: 88-94
- Sarcopenia and sarcopenic leg as potential risk factors for acute osteoporotic vertebral fracture among older women.Eur. Spine J. 2015;
- Relationship between postmenopausal osteoporosis and the components of clinical sarcopenia.Maturitas. 2013; 75: 175-180
- Skeletal muscle and bone: effect of sex steroids and aging.Adv. Physiol. Educ. 2008; 32: 120-126
- Inflammatory markers and physical performance in older persons: the InCHIANTI study.J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2004; 59: 242-248
- Inflammatory markers and loss of muscle mass (sarcopenia) and strength.Am. J. Med. 2006; 119 (526): e9-17
- White blood-cell count and the risk of impaired fasting glucose or type II diabetes in middle-aged Japanese men.Diabetologia. 2002; 45: 42-48
- Elevated white blood cell count is associated with arterial stiffness.Nutr. Metab. Cardiovasc. Dis. 2009; 19: 3-7
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28: 412-419
- Sarcopenia, obesity, and inflammation-results from the trial of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition and novel cardiovascular risk factors study.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2005; 82: 428-434
- Finding good biomarkers for sarcopenia.J. Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2012; 3: 145-148
- Biomarkers of sarcopenia in clinical trials-recommendations from the International Working Group on sarcopenia.J. Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2012; 3: 181-190
- Cancer cachexia: understanding the molecular basis.Nat. Rev. Cancer. 2014; 14: 754-762
- Intensity and amount of physical activity in relation to insulin sensitivity: the insulin resistance atherosclerosis study.Jama. 1998; 279: 669-674
- Appendicular skeletal muscle mass and insulin resistance in an elderly Korean population: the Korean social life, health and aging project-health examination cohort.Diabetes Metab. J. 2015; 39: 37-45
- Relationship of interleukin-6 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha with muscle mass and muscle strength in elderly men and women: the health ABC study.J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2002; 57: M326-32
- Proinflammatory cytokines, aging, and age-related diseases.J. Am. Med. Dir. Assoc. 2013; 14: 877-882
- Oxidative damage, platelet activation, and inflammation to predict mobility disability and mortality in older persons: results from the health aging and body composition study.J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2012; 67: 671-676
- Serum IL-6 level and the development of disability in older persons.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 1999; 47: 639-646
- Insulin-like growth factor I and interleukin-6 contribute synergistically to disability and mortality in older women.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metabol. 2003; 88: 2019-2025
- Epidemiology of sarcopenia among the elderly in New Mexico.Am. J. Epidemiol. 1998; 147: 755-763
- Sarcopenic obesity: prevalence and association with metabolic syndrome in the Korean longitudinal study on health and aging (KLoSHA).Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1652-1654
- Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis: report of the European working group on sarcopenia in older people.Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 412-423