- •Little is known about how Heart Team treatment decisions among patients with aortic valve stenosis are made under routine conditions.
- •The assessment of frailty is of paramount importance to guide patient-centred clinical decision-making in elderly patients with AVS.
- •Comorbidities, functional status and physical performance, were significantly associated with the consensual treatment decision-making.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Burden of valvular heart diseases: a population-based study.Lancet. 2006; 368: 1005-1011https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69208-8
- Guidelines on the management of valvular heart disease.Eur. Heart J. 2012; 33: 2451-2496https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehs109
- Long-term survival after aortic valve replacement among high-risk elderly patients in the United States: insights from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Adult Cardiac Surgery Database, 1991 to 2007.Circulation. 2012; 126: 1621-1629https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.112.091371
- Quality of life after aortic valve replacement at the age of >80 years.Circulation. 2000; 102: III70-III74
- Decision-making in elderly patients with severe aortic stenosis: why are so many denied surgery?.Eur. Heart J. 2005; 26: 2714-2720https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehi471
- Prevalence and characteristics of unoperated patients with severe aortic stenosis.J. Heart Valve Dis. 2011; 20: 284-291
- Registry of transcatheter aortic-valve implantation in high-risk patients.N. Engl. J. Med. 2012; 366: 1705-1715https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1114705
- Long-term quality of life improvement after transcatheter aortic valve implantation.Am. Heart J. 2011; 162: 232-237https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2011.06.004
- Adverse effects associated with transcatheter aortic valve implantation: a meta-analysis of contemporary studies.Ann. Intern. Med. 2013; 158: 35-46https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-158-1-201301010-00007
- Medical therapy for calcific aortic stenosis.J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. Ther. 2012; 17: 133-138https://doi.org/10.1177/1074248411416504
- Frailty and aortic valve disease.J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2013; 145: S7-S10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2012.11.063
- Risk stratification of patients with aortic stenosis.Eur. Heart J. 2010; 31: 416-423https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehp575
- Gait speed as an incremental predictor of mortality and major morbidity in elderly patients undergoing cardiac surgery.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2010; 56: 1668-1676https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2010.06.039
- Predictors of functional decline in elderly patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI).Eur. Heart J. 2013; 34: 684-692https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehs304
- Impacts of geriatric evaluation and management programs on defined outcomes: overview of the evidence.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 1991; 39 (8S–16S; discussion 17S–18S): 8-18
- Comprehensive geriatric assessment for older adults admitted to hospital: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.BMJ. 2011; 343: d6553
- Prospective registry of symptomatic severe aortic stenosis in octogenarians: a need for intervention.J. Intern. Med. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1111/joim.12174
- Usefulness of the Charlson co-morbidity index to predict outcomes in patients >60 years old with aortic stenosis during 18 years of follow-up.Am. J. Cardiol. 2012; 110: 695-701https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2012.04.054
- Preoperative 6-minute walk test adds prognostic information to Euroscore in patients undergoing aortic valve replacement.Heart Br. Cardiovasc. Soc. 2010; 96: 113-117https://doi.org/10.1136/hrt.2008.161174
- Unoperated severe aortic stenosis: decision making in an adult UK-based population.Ann. R. Coll. Surg. Engl. 2012; 94: 416-421https://doi.org/10.1308/003588412X13171221591817
- Long-term results of mitral–aortic valve operations.J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 1998; 115: 1298-1309
- Basic data from 176 studies on the immediate outcome after aortic valve replacement with or without coronary artery bypass surgery.J. Cardiothorac. Vasc. Anesth. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jvca.2013.07.020
- Transcatheter valve-in-valve implantation: a systematic review of literature.Heart Lung Circ. 2014; 23: 1020-1028https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hlc.2014.06.001
- The impact of body mass index on morbidity and short- and long-term mortality in cardiac valvular surgery.J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2011; 142: 1052-1061https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2011.02.009
- Nutrition management of geriatric surgical patients.Surg. Clin. North Am. 2011; 91 (ix.): 877-896https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suc.2011.05.003
- Cognitive and neurologic outcomes after coronary-artery bypass surgery.N. Engl. J. Med. 2012; 366: 250-257https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1100109
- Cognitive deficit after aortic valve replacement.Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2002; 74: 407-412
- Small ischemic brain lesions after cardiac valve replacement detected by diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging: relation to neurocognitive function.Eur. J. Cardio-Thorac. Surg. 2005; 28 (Off. J. Eur. Assoc. Cardio-Thorac. Surg.): 88-96https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcts.2005.02.043
- Longitudinal assessment of neurocognitive function after coronary-artery bypass surgery.N. Engl. J. Med. 2001; 344: 395-402https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200102083440601
- Coronary artery bypass grafting is not a risk factor for dementia or Alzheimer disease.Neurology. 2005; 65: 986-990https://doi.org/10.1212/01.wnl.0000171954.92119.c7