- •We analyzed risk, severity, and frequency of hot flashes in peri-menopausal women.
- •A history of ever smoking increased risk, severity, and frequency of hot flashes.
- •Quitting smoking decreased risk, severity, and frequency of hot flashes.
- •Quitting smoking was only effective in decreasing hot flashes after 5 years.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- United States Census.2000
- An investigation into the psychometric properties of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale in patients with breast cancer.Health Qual. Life Outcomes. 2005; 12: 1-12https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-3-Received
- Perceived change in quality of life during the menopause.Soc. Sci. Med. 2006; 62: 93-102https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2005.05.015
- Physical activity, symptoms, esteem, and life satisfaction during menopause.Maturitas. 2005; 52: 374-385https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2004.07.014
- Longitudinal analysis of the association between vasomotor symptoms and race/ethnicity across the menopausal transition: Study of women's health across the nation.Am. J. Public Health. 2006; 96: 1226-1235https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2005.066936
- Change in body mass index, weight, and hot flashes: a longitudinal analysis from the midlife women's health study.J. Womens Health (Larchmt). 2014; 23: 231-237https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2013.4526
- Menopause-related symptoms: what are the background factors? A prospective population-based cohort study of Swedish women (the Women's Health in Lund Area study).Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2003; 189: 1646-1653https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9378(03)00872-X
- Psychosocial, behavioral, and health factors related to menopause symptomatology.Womens Health. 1997; 3: 103-120
- Menopausal symptoms in Australian women.Med. J. Aust. 1993; 159: 232-236
- Smoking, body mass, and hot flashes in midlife women.Obstet. Gynecol. 2003; 101: 264-272https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-7844(02)02593-0
- Cigarette smoking, estrogen levels, and hot flashes in midlife women.Maturitas. 2006; 53: 133-143https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2005.03.007
- Predictors of menopausal hot flashes.J. Womens Health. 1998; 7: 1149-1159
- Smoking and estrogen-related disease.Am. J. Epidemiol. 1984; 119: 9-22
- Cigarette smoking and levels of adrenal androgens in postmenopausal women.N. Engl. J. Med. 1988; 318: 1705-1709
- Smoking and hormones in health and endocrine disorders.Eur. J. Endocrinol. 2005; 152: 491-499https://doi.org/10.1530/eje.1.01867
- An update on the antiestrogenic effect of smoking: a literature review with implications for researchers and practitioners.Menopause. 2004; 11: 104-109https://doi.org/10.1097/01.GME.0000079740.18541.DB
- Increased 2-hydroxylation of estradiol as a possible mechanism for the anti-estrogenic effect of cigarette smoking.N. Engl. J. Med. 1986; 315: 1305-1309
- Lifestyle alterations for the amelioration of hot flashes.Maturitas. 2012; 71: 217-220https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2011.12.006
- Linear Mixed-Effects Models Using Eigen and S4.2014
- GEE Solver for Correlated Nominal or Ordinal Multinomial Responses.2014
- Revolution R Enterprise.2011
- Smoking cessation is followed by increases in serum bilirubin, an endogenous antioxidant associated with lower risk of lung cancer and cardiovascular disease.Nicotine Tob. Res. 2014; 16: 1145-1149
- Thermoregulatory physiology of menopausal hot flashes: a review.Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 1987; 65: 1312-1324https://doi.org/10.1139/y87-208
- Physiology of hot flashes.Am. J. Hum. Biol. 2001; 13: 453-464https://doi.org/10.1002/ajhb.1077
- Smoking related diseases: the central role of monoamine oxidase.Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2011; 8: 136-147https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph8010136
- Smoking induces long-lasting effects through a monoamine-oxidase epigenetic regulation.PLoS ONE. 2009; 4https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0007959