- •Stress may lead to physical diseases such as heart disease, stomach ulcers, hypertension, etc.
- •Aromatherapy is the therapeutic use of essential oils from plants via the skin or the olfactory system.
- •One previous overview suggested that aromatherapy may reduce pain and improve psychological health.
- •Five randomised clinical trials met our inclusion criteria, and most of them had high risk of bias.
- •There is limited evidence suggesting that aroma inhalation may be effective in controlling stress.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Stress and health Psychological, behavioral, and biological determinants.Ann Rev Clin Psychol. 2005; 1: 607-628
- Cardiovascular psychophysiology: a perspective.New York, NY, Cambridge University Press2000
- Life event dimensions of loss, humiliation, entrapment, and danger in the prediction of onsets of major depression and generalized anxiety.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003; 60: 789-796
- Causal relationship between stressful life events and the onset of major depression.Am J Psychiatry. 1999; 156: 837-841
- Self-reported stress and risk of endometrial cancer: a prospective cohort study.Psychosom Med. 2007; 69: 383-389
- A model of psychosocial hypertension showing reversibility and progression of cardiovascular complications.Circ Res. 1975; 36: 156-164
- Acute mental stress has a prolonged unfavorable effect on arterial stiffness and wave reflections.Psychosom Med. 2006; 68: 231-237
- Alternative and complementary modalities for managing stress and anxiety.Crit Care Nurse. 2000; 20: 93-96
- Complementary/alternative medicine for hypertension: a mini-review.Wien Med Wochenschr. 2005; 155: 386-391
- Prevalence of use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) by patients/consumers in the UK: systematic review of surveys.Clin Med. 2013; 13: 126-131
- Lavender fragrance cleansing gel effects on relaxation.Int J Neurosci. 2005; 115: 207-222
- Brain and odor: I. Alteration of human EEG by odor administration.Psychobiology. 1988; 16: 281-284
- Aromatherapy for health care: an overview of systematic reviews.Maturitas. 2012; 71: 257-260
- A systematic review on the anxiolytic effects of aromatherapy in people with anxiety symptoms.J Altern Complement Med. 2011; 17: 101-108
- Is lavender an anxiolytic drug? A systematic review of randomised clinical trials.Phytomedicine. 2012; 19: 825-835
- A review on the effects of aromatherapy for patients with depressive symptoms.J Altern Complement Med. 2009; 15: 187-195
- Assessing risk of bias in included studies.in: Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 510 (updated March 2011). The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011 (Chapter 8). Available from 〈www.cochrane-handbook.org〉
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560
- Effect of lavender aroma on salivary endocrinological stress markers.Arch Oral Biol. 2008; 53: 964-968
- The effect of lavender oil on stress, bispectral index values, and needle insertion pain in volunteers.J Altern Complement Med. 2011; 17: 823-826
- Reduction of mental stress with lavender odorant.Percept Mot Skills. 2001; 93: 713-718
- Evaluation of effects of lavender and peppermint aromatherapy using sensitive salivary endocrinological stress markers.Stress Health. 2011; 27: 430-435
- The effects of the aromatherapy on stress related hormones.J Kor Soc Cosm. 2009; 15: 1452-1456
- Statistics notes: blinding in clinical trials and other studies.Br. Med, J. 2000; 321: 504
- Empirical evidence of bias dimensions of methodological quality associated with estimates of treatment effects in controlled trials.JAMA. 1995; 273: 408-412
- Bandolier's little book of pain.Oxford University Publication, Oxford2003
- Autonomic nervous function and localization of cerebral activity during lavender aromatic immersion.Technol Health Care. 2007; 15: 69-78
- Adverse effects of aromatherapy: a systematic review of case reports and case series.Int J Risk Saf Med. 2012; 24: 147-161
- Alternative therapy bias.Nature. 1997; 385: 480
- Location bias in controlled clinical trials of complementary/alternative therapies.J Clin Epidemiol. 2000; 53: 485-489
- Publication bias in meta-analysis.in: Rothstein H.R. Sutton A.J. Borenstein M. Publication bias in meta-analysis. West Sussex: Wiley, Chichester2005
- Do certain countries produce only positive results? A systematic review of controlled trials.Control Clin Trials. 1998; 19: 159-166