Abbreviations:CI (95% confidence interval), CHD (coronary heart disease), CVD (cardiovascular disease), FFQ (Food Frequency Questionnaire), Gla (gamma-carboxyglutamyl acid), MGP (matrix Gla-protein), RCT (randomised controlled trial), Vitamin K1 (phylloquinone), Vitamin K2 (menaquinone)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- From individual risk factors and the metabolic syndrome to global cardiometabolic risk.Eur Heart J Suppl. 2008; 10: B24-33
- A changing paradigm for prevention of cardiovascular disease: emergence of the metabolic syndrome as a multiplex risk factor.Eur Heart J Suppl. 2008; 10: B16-23
- The metabolic syndrome: a new worldwide definition.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1059-1062
- Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1640-1645
- Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet. DASH-Sodium Collaborative Research Group.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 3-10
- Effects of protein, monounsaturated fat, and carbohydrate intake on blood pressure and serum lipids: results of the OmniHeart randomized trial.JAMA. 2005; 294: 2455-2464
- Adherence to a DASH-style diet and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke in women.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168 (Erratum in: Arch Intern Med. 2008;168(12):1276): 713-720
- Levels of vitamin D and cardiometabolic disorders: systematic review and meta-analysis.Maturitas. 2010; 65: 225-236
- Vitamin E in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer. The Women's Health Study: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2005; 294: 56-65
- Determination of phylloquinone and menaquinones in food. Effect of food matrix on circulating vitamin K concentrations.Haemostasis. 2000; 30: 298-307
- Compilation of a provisional UK database for the phylloquinone (vitamin K1) content of foods.Br J Nutr. 2000; 83: 389-399
- Comparative dietary intake and sources of phylloquinone (vitamin K1) among British adults in 1986–7 and 2000–1.Br J Nutr. 2006; 96: 1105-1115
- Vitamin K contents of meat, dairy, and fast food in the U.S. diet.J Agric Food Chem. 2006; 54: 463-467
- Vitamin K: The coagulation vitamin that became omnipotent.Thromb Haemost. 2007; 98: 120-125
- Vitamin K-dependent biosynthesis of γ-carboxyglutamic acid.Blood. 1999; 93: 1798-1808
- The role of Gla proteins in vascular calcification.Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr. 1998; 8: 357-375
- Matrix Gla protein accumulates at the border of regions of calcification and normal tissue in the media of the arterial vessel wall.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001; 289: 485-490
- Role of vitamin K and vitamin K-dependent proteins in vascular calcification.Z Kardiol. 2001; 90: 57-63
- Relationship between acute insulin response and vitamin K intake in healthy young male volunteers.Diabetes Nutr Metab. 1999; 12: 37-41
- Possible effects of one week vitamin K (menaquinone-4) tablets intake on glucose tolerance in healthy young male volunteers with different descarboxy prothrombin levels.Clin Nutr. 2000; 19: 259-263
- Phylloquinone intake, insulin sensitivity, and glycemic status in men and women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88: 210-215
- Effect of vitamin K supplementation on insulin resistance in older men and women.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 2092-2096
- Vitamin K status in human tissues: tissue-specific accumulation of phylloquinone and menaquinone-4.Br J Nutr. 1996; 75: 121-127
- Synthesis of γ-carboxylated polypeptides by α-cells of the pancreatic islets.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001; 283: 454-459
Reeves BC, Deeks JJ, Higgins JPT, Wells GA. Chapter 13: Including non-randomised studies. In: Higgins JPT, Green S, editors. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Version 5.0.1 [updated 2008] edition. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2008 [Available from: www.cochrane-handbook.org].
Wells GA, Shea B, O’Connell D, Peterson J, Welch V, Losos M, Tugwell P. The Newcastle–Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses. Available from: www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.htm 2008.
- Phylloquinone intake as a marker for coronary heart disease risk but not stroke in women.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2005; 59: 196-204
- Phylloquinone intake and risk of cardiovascular diseases in men.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2007 Jan; 17: 58-62
- A high menaquinone intake reduces the incidence of coronary heart disease.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2009 Sep; 19: 504-510
- Dietary intake of menaquinone is associated with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease: the Rotterdam Study.J Nutr. 2004; 134: 3100-3105
- Vitamin K supplementation and progression of coronary artery calcium in older men and women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jun; 89: 1799-1807
- Dietary and nondietary determinants of vitamin K biochemical measures in men and women.J Nutr. 2002; 132: 1329-1334
- High dietary menaquinone intake is associated with reduced coronary calcification.Atherosclerosis. 2009; 203: 489-493
- Vitamin K1 intake and coronary calcification.Coron Artery Dis. 2005; 16: 199-203
Vermeer C. Clinical Trial on Beneficial Effects of Long Term Menaquinone-7 (Vitamin K2) Intake by Postmenopausal Women. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT00642551.
Kroon A. The Effects of Vitamin K2 Supplementation on the Progression of Coronary Artery Calcification. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT01002157.
- A practical guide to the dietary management of patients on warfarin.Nutr Rev. 1999; 57: 288-296