To investigate the menopausal experience of Chinese women living in Sydney and to explore the prevalence of symptoms, and the relationship between the frequency of symptoms and various socio-demographic factors.
A cross-sectional survey was conducted among 310 Chinese women aged between 45 and 65 years. The menopause-specific quality of life (MENQOL) questionnaire was used to collect information on menopausal symptoms. The MENQOL questionnaire was translated into Chinese by an experienced bilingual health worker and then translated back into English by a different interpreter for accuracy.
The mean and median ages at menopause for this study were 50.3 and 50.5 years, respectively (95% CI 49.8–50.8 years). Only 34% of women reported hot flushes, and 27% reported night sweats. Chinese women in Sydney more commonly reported psychological symptoms such as poor memory and physical symptoms such as dry skin, aching in muscles and joints and decreased physical strength. Changes in sexual desire and vaginal dryness were significantly different in perimenopausual women, compared with premenopausal and postmenopausal women.
Chinese women living in Sydney report fewer vasomotor symptoms compared with Caucasian women. Menopause was still experienced negatively, especially in its impact on sexual function and muscular–skeletal symptoms.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Attitudes toward menopause among Mexican American women.Health Care Women Int. 1995; 16: 425-435
- Medical perceptions of menopausal symptoms.Psychol Women Quart. 1985; 9: 3-14
- Chinese midlife women's perceptions and attitudes about menopause.Menopause. 1998; 5: 28-34
- Menopause across cultures: a review of the evidence.Menopause. 2000; 7: 184-192
- The perception of menopause among women in Taiwan.Maturitas. 2002; 41: 269-274
- Conceptualizing menopause and midlife: Chinese American and Chinese women in the US.Maturitas. 2000; 35: 11-23
- The experience of menopausal symptoms by Arabic women in Sydney.Climacteric. 2007; 10: 72-79
- Aquantitative analysis of the menopause experience of Indian women living in Sydney.Aust New Zeal J Obstet Gynaecol. 2007; 47: 329-334
- A menopause-specific quality of life questionnaire; development and psychometric properties.Maturitas. 1996; 24: 161-175
World Health Organisation (WHO). Report of a WHO scientific group on the menopause in the 1990. WHO technical report series 866. WHO: Geneva; 1996.
World Health Organization. Research on menopause: report of a WHO Scientific Group, World Health Organization Technical Report Series 670. WHO: Geneva; 1981.
- Experience of menopausal symptoms by Chinese and Canadian women.Climacteric. 1999; 2: 164-173
- Characteristics del sanggrado menstrual en un grupo de mujeres normales de Durango.Ginecologia et Obstetrica Mexico. 1988; 56: 127-133
- The age and climacteric complaints in Thai women in Bankok.Maturitas. 1993; 17: 63-71
- Chinese women's symptoms: relation to menopause, age and related attitudes.Climacteric. 2006; 9: 30-39
- An Australian study on the socio-cultural context of menopause: directions for contemporary nursing practice.Contemp Nurse. 2001; 11: 271-282
- A longitudinal analysis of women's attitudes toward the menopause: results from the Massachusetts Women's Health Study.Maturitas. 1991; 13: 65-79
- The South-East England longitudinal study of the climacteric and postmenopause.Maturitas. 1992; 14: 117-126
- Attitudes of low-income clinic patients toward menopause.Health Care Women Int. 1992; 13: 271-280
- Menopausal symptoms and symptom clustering in Chinese women.Maturitas. 1999; 33: 219-227
- Climacteric and menopause in seven south-east Asian countries.Maturitas. 1994; 19: 157-176
- Cultural and subcultural meanings of the menopause.Ann N Y Acd Sci. 1990; 592: 134-148
- Sexual functioning in postmenopausal women in the post-menopausal women: the postmenopausal estrogen/progestin interventions (PEPI) trial.J Women's Health. 1996; 5: 445-456
- Social and psychological correlates of menopause symptoms.Psychosom Med. 1980; 42: 335-345
- Self-reported climacteric symptoms as a function of the relationship marital adjustment and childrearing stage.Nurs Res. 1981; 30: 84-88
Published online: October 16, 2007
Accepted: September 17, 2007
Received in revised form: September 9, 2007
Received: April 20, 2007
© 2007 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.