As chronic urticaria in pre-menopausal women was accompanied by lower serum concentration of DHEA-S and because it had been known that endocrine profiles changed along with ageing, in the present study we investigated DHEA-S behaviour in post-menopausal women suffering from chronic idiopathic urticaria (CIU).
Serum concentration of DHEA-S was measured in 32 post-menopausal women, aged between 49 and 66, suffering from CIU, as well as in 30 healthy subjects matched for age, body mass index, and years since menopause.
No statistical difference in DHEA-S serum concentration was found between the CIU patients and the controls (median 99.63 ug/dl versus 108.25 ug/dl, respectively).
The observations made recently and those of our previous results may point to the existence of two different hormonal patterns of DHEA-S circulating concentration in female patients suffering from CIU, depending on age of the disease onset. The scope of the study has been limited however, due to the small number of subjects.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Chronic urticaria.N Engl J Med. 1995; 332: 1767-1772
- Immune-endocrine correlations: a new aspect in human physiology.Acta Eur Fertil. 1991; 22: 167-170
- Prevention of autoantibody formation and prolonged survival in New Zealand Black/New Zealand White F1 mice fed dehydroisoandrosterone.J Clin Invest. 1985; 75: 2091-2093
- Regulation of murine lymphokine production in vivo II. Dehydroepiandrosterone is a natural enhancer of interleukin 2 synthesis by helper T cells.Eur J Immunol. 1990; 20: 793-802
- Dehydroepiandrosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and related steroids: their role in inflammatory, allergic and immunological disorders.Curr Drug Targets Inflamm Allergy. 2005; 4: 377-385
- Age and sex related differences in serum levels of unconjugated dehydroepiandrosterone and its sulphate in normal subjects.J Endocrinol. 1997; 154: 57-62
- A prospective longitudinal study of serum testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, and sex hormone-binding globulin levels through the menopause transition.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 2832-2838
- Evidence for an influence of the ovary on circulating dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate levels.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1982; 54: 1069-1071
- Androgens and estrogens modulate the immune and inflammatory responses in rheumatoid arthritis.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002; 966: 131-142
- Serum dehydroepiandrosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, and pergnenolone sulfate concentrations in patients with hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.Clin Chem. 2000; 46: 523-528
- Dehydroepiandrosterone in systemic lupus erythematosus: relationship between dosage, serum levels, and clinical response.J Rheumatol. 1998; 25: 2352-2356
- Serum concentration of dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate in female patients with chronic idiopathic urticaria.J Dermatol Sci. 2006; 41: 80-81
- Lower serum concentration of dehydyroepiandrone sulphate in patients with chronic idiopathic urticaria.Allergy. 2006; 61: 1489-1490
- Dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate serum levels in systemic sclerosis.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2001; 19: 21-26
- Defining menopausal status: the impact of longitudinal data.Maturitas. 1987; 9: 217-226
- Autoimmunity, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), and stress.J Adoles Health. 2002; 30S: 37-43
- The characteristics of urticaria in 390 patients.Br J Dermatol. 1998; 138: 635-638
- Immune profiles of patients with chronic idiopathic urticaria.Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2002; 128: 59-66
- Sex hormone levels correlate with the activity of cytokine-secreting cells in vivo.Immunology. 2000; 100: 384-390
- Serum prolactin concentration and its relationship with dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate concentration in chronic urticaria patients with positive and negative response to autologous serum skin test.Allergy. 2007; 62: 566-567
Kasperska-Zajac A, Brzoza Z, Rogala B. Plasma concentration of interleukin 6 (IL-6), and its relationship with circulating concentration of dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S) in patients with chronic idiopathic urticaria. Cytokine 2007, (in press).
Published online: July 16, 2007
Accepted: June 19, 2007
Received in revised form: May 19, 2007
Received: September 14, 2006
© 2007 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.