Early onset of menopause results in the premature exposure to low estrogen levels and is associated with a number of postmenopausal health problems and higher risk of mortality. The aim of this study was to determine genetic and environmental factors associated with age at natural and surgical menopause.
Multiple regression analysis using a sample of Caucasians composed of 154 females with surgical and 248 with natural menopause.
Breastfeeding is a significant predictor of earlier natural menopause (P < 0.05). Use of oral contraceptives and smoking were not significantly associated with age at menopause. Females who did not have history of pregnancies are at significantly higher risk (P < 0.001) of getting early surgical menopause than those who did. We also tested the association of seven single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of the estrogen receptor α (ER-α) gene with age at menopause. No association was observed with age at menopause but the PvuII p allele was overrepresented in women with surgical menopause and associated with menopause per se (P = 0.029; OR = 1.8, 95% CI = 1.1–3.0).
Breastfeeding and alcohol consumption are significantly associated with earlier natural menopause. No significant effects of the ER-α genotypes were observed on the age of menopause. Given the important role of the ER-α in estrogen signaling, which directly influences the menopausal process, further studies are required to better define the relationship between this gene and age at menopause.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pooled analysis of 3 European case-control studies of ovarian cancer. II. Age at menarche and at menopause.Int J Cancer. 1991; 49: 57-60
- Age at natural menopause and the risk of epithelial ovarian cancer.Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 98: 85-90
- The role of age at menarche and at menopause on breast cancer risk: combined evidence from four case-control studies.Ann Oncol. 1992; 3: 625-629
- Age at menarche, age at menopause, height and obesity as risk factors for breast cancer: associations and interactions in an international case-control study.Int J Cancer. 1990; 46: 796-800
- Age at menopause, body mass index, and the risk of colorectal cancer mortality in the Dutch Diagnostisch Onderzoek Mammacarcinoom (DOM) cohort.Epidemiology. 2000; 11: 304-308
- Age at natural menopause and risk of cardiovascular disease.Arch Intern Med. 1999; 159: 1061-1066
- Age at menopause as a risk factor for cardiovascular mortality.Lancet. 1996; 347: 714-718
- Early menopause, number of reproductive years, and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women.Am J Public Health. 1993; 83: 983-988
- Factors associated with early menopause.Maturitas. 2000; 35: 3-9
- Long-term effects of reproductive-age menstrual cycle patterns on peri- and postmenopausal fracture risk.Am J Epidemiol. 1997; 145: 804-809
- Early menopause: increased fracture risk at older age.Osteoporos Int. 2003; 14: 525-530
- Factors influencing the age at natural menopause.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 995-1002
- Age at natural menopause in a population-based screening cohort: the role of menarche, fecundity, and lifestyle factors.Fertil Steril. 1997; 68: 95-102
- A prospective study of factors affecting age at menopause.J Clin Epidemiol. 1989; 42: 1031-1039
- Cigarette smoking and the risk of natural menopause.Epidemiology. 1990; 1: 474-480
- Correlates of age at natural menopause in the cohorts of EPIC-Italy.Tumori. 2003; 89: 608-614
- Family history as a predictor of early menopause.Fertil Steril. 1995; 64: 740-745
- Mothers and daughters menopausal ages: is there a link?.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1997; 74: 63-66
- Genes control the cessation of a woman's reproductive life: a twin study of hysterectomy and age at menopause.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998; 83: 1875-1880
- Familial premature ovarian failure due to an interstitial deletion of the long arm of the X chromosome.N Engl J Med. 1987; 317: 125-131
- Linkage analysis of extremely discordant and concordant sibling pairs identifies quantitative trait loci influencing variation in human menopausal age.Am J Hum Genet. 2004; 74: 444-453
- Galactose-1-phosphate uridyl transferase activity associated with age at menopause and reproductive history.Fertil Steril. 1989; 51: 609-615
- Factor V Leiden mutation accelerates the onset of natural menopause.Menopause. 2003; 10: 477-481
- The steroid and thyroid hormone receptor superfamily.Science. 1988; 240: 889-895
- Immunocytochemical localization of estrogen receptors α and β in the human reproductive organs.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 4835-4840
- Estrogen receptor polymorphism predicts the onset of natural and surgical menopause.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999; 84: 3146-3150
- Current limitations of SNP data from the public domain for studies of complex disorders: a test for ten candidate genes for obesity and osteoporosis.BMC Genet. 2004; 5: 4
- Patterns of linkage disequilibrium and haplotype distribution in disease candidate genes.BMC Genet. 2004; 5: 11
- Age at menopause in relation to reproductive history in Japanese, Caucasian, Chinese and Hawaiian women living in Hawaii.J Gerontol. 1978; 33: 688-694
- Control of hormone release during lactation.Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 1978; 5: 435-455
- Hyperprolactinemia caused by lactation and pituitary adenomas is associated with altered serum calcium, phosphate, parathyroid hormone (PTH), and PTH-related peptide levels.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1995; 80: 3036-3042
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein: a possible endocrine function in lactation.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1992; 37: 405-410
- Diminished luteinizing hormone biopotency in breastfeeding women.Hum Reprod. 1995; 10: 2849-2853
- Alcohol consumption and age of maternal menopause are associated with menopause onset.Maturitas. 1997; 26: 21-25
- Factors associated with age at natural menopause in a multiethnic sample of midlife women.Am J Epidemiol. 2001; 153: 865-874
- Evidence for a secular trend in menopausal age: a population study of women in Gothenburg.Menopause. 2003; 10: 538-543
- The normal menopause transition: an overview.Maturitas. 1996; 23: 137-145
Accepted: August 9, 2005
Received in revised form: July 25, 2005
Received: February 2, 2005
© 2005 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.