- •Circulating vitamin D predominately arises from synthesis in the skin after exposure to sunlight.
- •Vitamin D deficiency is world-wide epidemic and presents when serum 25 hydroxyvitamin D levels fall below 50 nmol/L.
- •Vitamin D deficiency is a factor in the multifactorial causes of non-vertebral & hip fractures, falls and loss of muscles power.
- •Vitamin D deficiency should be aggressively treated with higher pharmacological doses with the aim of achieving serum levels above or equal to 75 nmol/L.
- •Further RCTs are needed to evaluate a possible isolated or combined role for vitamin D in reduced bone mass densiity and, non-vertebral fractures.
- •Future research should focus on the effects and implications of treating vitamin D deficiency with high pharmacological doses (>1000 IU).
- •The aim is to achieve a general consensus on recommended doses of vitamin D supplementation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Calcium supplements increase risk of myocardial infarction.J Bone Miner Res. 2014; (10.1002/jbmr.2357. [Epub ahead of print])
- Calcium and vitamin D supplementation: state of the art for daily practice.Food Nutr Res. 2014; 7: 58
- Vitamin D.3rd ed. Elsevier, San Diego2011: 1-2144
Bronwell L. The overlooked importance of vitamin D receptors, http://www.lef.org/magazine/2013/8/The-Overlooked-Importance-of-Vitamin-D-Receptors/Page-01.
- Vitamin D – effects on skeletal and extraskeletal health and the need for supplementation.Nutrients. 2013; 5: 111-148
- Vitamin D: evolutionary, physiological and health perspectives.Curr Drug Targets. 2011; 12 ([review]): 4-18
- The pleiotropic effects of vitamin D in bone.J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2013; 136 ([review]): 190-194https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsbmb.2012.08.008
- Optimal vitamin D status for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.Drug Aging. 2007; 24: 1017-1029
- Prospective study of serum vitamin D and cancer mortality in the United States.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007; 99: 1594-1602
- Vitamin D nutritional policy needs a vision for the future.Exp Biol Med. 2010; 235: 1034-1045
- Vitamin D and vitamin D analogues for preventing fractures associated with involutional and post-menopausal osteoporosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001; ([review. Update in: Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005;(3):CD000227]): CD000227
- Effect of calcium and vitamin D supplementation on bone density in men and women 65 years of age or older.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 670-676
- Can vitamin D supplementation reduce the risk of fracture in the elderly? A randomized controlled trial.J Bone Miner Res. 2002; 17: 709-715
- The 2011 report on dietary reference intakes for calcium & vitamin D from the institute of medicine: what clinicians need to know.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: 53-58
- Prevalance of vitamin D inadequacy among postmenopausal North American women receiving osteoporosis therapy.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 90: 3215-3224
- Vitamin D deficiency.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 266-281
- Low calcium intake & insufficient serum vitamin D status treated and non-treated postmenopausal osteoporotic women in Spain.J Bone Miner Metab. 2007; 22: 5309
- Vitamin D and vitamin D analogues for preventing fractures associated with involutional and post-menopausal osteoporosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; 20: CD000227
- Fracture prevention by vitamin D supplementation: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Am Med Assoc. 2005; 293: 2257-2264
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations and risk for hip fractures.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 149: 242-250
- Efficacy of vitamin D3 supplementation in preventing fractures in elderly women: a meta-analysis.Curr Med Res Opin. 2010; 26: 1193-1901
- The short-term impact of vitamin D-based hip fracture prevention in older adults in the United Kingdom.J Endocrinol Invest. 2014; 37: 811-817
- Fall prevention with supplemental and active forms of vitamin D: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.Br Med J. 2009; 339: b3692
- IOF position statement: vitamin D recommendations for older adults.Osteoporos Int. 2010; 21: 1151-1154
- Vitamin D metabolites and calcium absorption in severe vitamin D deficiency.J Bone Miner Res. 2008; 23: 1859-1863
- The effect of latitude on the risk and seasonal variation in hip fracture in Sweden.J Bone Miner Res. 2014; 29: 2217-2223
- When and where do hip fractures occur? A population based study.Osteoporos Int. 2013; 24: 2387-2396
- Vitamin D and mortality: meta-analysis of individual participant data from a large consortium of cohort studies from Europe and the United States.BMJ. 2014; 348: g3656
National Osteoporosis Guiding Group. Guideline for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and men from the age of 50 years in the UK, www.sheffield.ac.uk/NOGG [updated July 2010].
- Diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and older men in the UK: National Osteoporosis Guideline Group (NOGG) update.Maturitas. 2013; 75: 392-396