This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The present study had two objectives: (I) to register the prevalence of a number of climacteric complaints in a Danish general population cohort and (2) retrospectively to test the validity of an association between climacteric complaints, menopausal development, occurence of life events and social background. A postal questionnaire sent to the 51-year-old female population living in four Copenhagen suburbs,(N = 597, response rate = 88%) included information on menstrual pattern and change, hormonal treatment, socioeconomic data and a 4-year retrospective annual registration of prevalence of a number of climacteric complaints and life events. Logistic regression analyses performed on a restricted sample (women who experienced a natural menopausal development) revealed prevalence of hot flushes, moodiness and fatigue to be significantly associated with transitions in menopausal status. Fatigue, moodiness and depression were strongly associated with socio-economic variables. Life events were only occasionally associated with prevalence of the studied complaints.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The physiology and measurement of hot flushes.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1987; 156: 1284-1288
- Study of symptoms in middle life with special reference to the menopause.Br Med J. 1980; : 181-183
- The relative contributions of endocrine changes and social circumstances to depression in mid-aged women.J Health Soc Behav. 1987; 28: 345-363
- Epidemiology of climacteric and postclimacteric complaints.in: Ageing and Estrogens. 2. Karger, Basel1973: 22-34
- Mental health in the climacteric.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand Suppl. 1985; 130: 13-18
- Relationships between psychological symptoms, somatic complaints and menopausal status.Maturitas. 1986; 8: 217-228
- Psychosocial aspects of the menopause.in: Haspels AA Musaph HH Psychosomatics in perimenopause. MTP Press, Lancaster1979: 101-120
- Dose-response and withdrawal effects on climacteric symptoms after hormonal replacement therapy.in: A placebo controlled therapeutic trial. Maturitas. 5. 1983: 125-133
- Prevalence of hormone replacement therapy in a sample of middle-aged women.Maturitas. 1988; 9: 339-345
- Defining menopausal status: The impact of longitudinal data.Maturitas. 1987; 9: 217-226
- 40-åriges helbred.in: En epidemiologisk unders∅gelse af 40-årige kvinder og maend i K∅benhavns amt. Doctoral Dissertation. Univ. of Copenhagen, 1985
- 5 års prospektiv epidemiologisk unders∅gelse 1976–1981 af 1936-populationen i Glostrup.Ugeskr Laeger. 1985; 147: 2931-2938
- Klimakteriet-belyst ved en prospektiv epidemiologisk unders∅gelse.Månedsskr Prakt Laegegern. 1980; : 311-317
- Socialgrupper i Danmark.in: SFI Studie 48. Danish National Institute of Social Research, Copenhagen1984
- BMDP Statistical Software Manual. Vol. 1 and 2. University of California Press, Los Angeles1990
- The health structure of 40-year-old men and women in the Glostrup area, Denmark—an epidemiological survey.Danish Med Bull. 1980; 27: 121-130
- Hormone replacement therapy: use patterns in 51-year old Danish women.Maturitas. 1990; 12: 345-356
- Health status and utilization behaviour associated with menopause.Am J Epidemiol. 1987; 125: 110-121
- Prevalence of climacteric complaints in a representative sample of middle-aged women in Oslo, Norway.J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol. 1991; 12: 303-317
- The epidemiology of climacteric symptoms.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand Suppl. 1986; 134: 59-65
- Researching the symptoms of menopause: an exercise in methodology.Maturitas. 1988; 10: 117-131
- Psychosocial determinants of climacteric complaints.Maturitas. 1991; 13: 205-215
- Psychosocial vulnerability to life events during the climacteric.Br J Psychiatry. 1985; 147: 71-75
- Longitudinal studies: comparative conclusions.Maturitas. 1992; 14: 157-160
- The cross-sectional legacy: an introduction to longitudinal studies of the climacteric.Maturitas. 1992; 14: 95-101
Accepted: February 2, 1993
Received in revised form: February 1, 1993
Received: June 22, 1992
© 1993 Published by Elsevier Inc.