This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A Danish cohort-investigation of health risk-factors (started in 1976) included descriptions of the sexuality of the participants. This paper examines the validity/representativity of the results of the sexological investigation of the male participants, when in 1987 they were 51 years old. Remaining results will be published in separate articles about each main theme. The participants, 439 men, completed a questionnaire concerning sexuality (behaviour, attitudes and experience) and had their serum-LH and serum-free testosterone measured. Thereafter 100 of the 439 men were interviewed. The present examination shows that the participants are representative of same-aged men from all over Denmark concerning the sexological results. The answer ratio of the questionnaire was 70–95% and the non-responders of the questionnaire gave different interview answers than the rest. Complemented with their answers (answer ratio of nearly 100%) the interview results are more representative than the results of the questionnaire. The interview information is in this study considered more valid than the information obtained by the questionnaire — because the former more frequently than the latter contain answers embarrassing to the participants (e.g. high frequency of masturbation) or difficult for them to recall. The interview thereby adds vital information to that of the questionnaire.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Sexual behavior in the human male.WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, London1948
- The Kinsey Data: Marginal Tabulations of the 1938–1963 Interviews Conducted by the Institute for Sex Research.WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia1979
- The science of sex research: some methodological considerations.Arch Sex Behav. 1981; 10: 225-251
- Sexual behavior in middle life.Am J Psychiatry. 1972; 128: 1262-1267
- Volunteer bias in erotica research: effects of intrusiveness of measure and sexual background.Arch Sex Behav. 1985; 14: 93-107
- Frequency of sexual problems and sexual dysfunction in middle-aged Danish men.Arch Sex Behav. 1993; 22: 51-58
- Middle-aged Danish men's ideas of a male climacteric- and of the female climacteric.Maturitas. 1992; 15: 7-16
- The health structure of 40-years-old men and women in the Glostrup area, Denmark — an epidemiological survey.in: General design, sampling results and referrals for further medical care. Dan Med Bull. 27. 1980: 121-130
- 5 års prospektiv epidemiologisk undersøgelse 1976–1981 of 1936-population i Glostrup.in: Materiale, metoder, repraesentativitet og henvisninger. Ugeskr Laeg. 147. 1985: 2931-2938
- Repraesentativitets-begrebet ved epidemiologiske undersøgelser.in: Eksempler fra befolkningsundersøgelsen af 40-årige i Glostrup. Ugeskr Laeg. 144. 1981: 1781-1788
- Abnormal androgen and oestrogen metabolism in men with steroid sulphatase deficiency and recessive X-linked ichtyosis.Clin Endocrinol. 1985; 23: 385-393
- Hansen H Living Conditions in Denmark. Compendium of Statistics 1988. Danmarks Statistik und Socialforskningsinstituttet, Copenhagen1988
- Discrete Multivariate Analysis.in: Theory and Practice. MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts1975
- The analysis of Contingency Tables.Chapman and Hall, London1977
- Diskret statistik.Københavns Universitets Institut for Matematisk Statistik, Copenhagen1978
- Analysis of multidimensional contingency tables by exact conditional tests: techniques and strategies.Scand J Stat. 1987; 14: 97-112
- Sexologi og epidemiologisk metode.in: En pilotundersøgelse af kvinders seksuelle adfaerd, oplevelse, viden og holdning. Ugeskr Laeg. 141. 1979: 1931-1935
- Our Bodies, Ourselves — A Book By and For Women.Penguin, New York1978
- Kvinde, kend din krop.Tiderne skifter, Copenhagen1975
- Voksne kvinder.in: En undersøgelse af 40-årige danske kvinders sexuelle adfaerd, oplevelse, viden og holdninger. Lindhardt and Ringhof, Copenhagen1983
- Den maskuline mystik.Forlaget Rhodos, Copenhagen1985
- Sex and society in the eighties.Arch Sex Behav. 1982; 11: 91-97
- The male menopause: lifestyle and sexuality.Maturitas. 1985; 7: 235-246
- Personality, sexuality, and demographic differences between volunteers and nonvolunteers for a laboratory study of male sexual behavior.Arch Sex Behav. 1978; 7: 513-520
Accepted: January 19, 1993
Received in revised form: January 18, 1993
Received: October 2, 1992
© 1993 Published by Elsevier Inc.