This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Three groups of patients with pelvic endometriosis were treated with medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA) 50 mg/day (n = 10), lynestrenol (LYN) 10 mg/day (n = 25) and danazol (DAN) 600 mg/day (n = 25) respectively. Total cholesterol, triglycerides, α-lipoprotein, prebetalipoprotein, β-lipoprotein cholesterol, high-density (HDL) and low-density (LDL) lipoprotein and apolipoprotein A1 and B concentrations were determined before treatment and after 3 and 6 mth of therapy. Whereas lipid, lipoprotein and apolipoprotein levels did not change in the MPA group, the patients on LYN and in particular those on DNA showed marked changes in lipoprotein patterns. Alpha-lipoprotein, HDL and apolipoprotein A1 levels fell, while β-lipoprotein, LDL and apolipoprotein concentrations rose, these changes being statistically significant. No alterations were seen in the serum levels of cholesterol, triglycerides or prebetalipoprotein cholesterol. In view of a possible relationship between high LDL and low HDL levels and a risk of accelerated coronary arteriosclerosis in women it was concluded that progestogen-induced alterations in lipoprotein patterns should be avoided as far as long-term treatment is concerned and where additional risk factors are present.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The Lipid Research Clinics Coronary Primary Prevention Trial Results. I. Reduction in incidence of coronary heart disease.J Am Med Assoc. 1984; 251: 351-374
- Quantitative lipoprotein electrophoresis.in: CRC Handbook of Electrophoresis. Vol. III. Lipoprotein Methodology and Human Studies. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida1983: 83-102
- Quantitative Lipoproteinelektrophorese: Ihre routinemäβige Anwendung im Vergleich mit anderen Verfahren zur differenzierten Untersuchung des Fettstoffwechsels.Lab Med. 1985; 9: 39-51
- A simple and specific technique for precipitation of low density lipoproteins.J Lipid Res. 1983; 24: 904-909
- Determination of apolipoprotein Al by kinetic nephelometry.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1981; 663: 279-288
- Determination of apolipoprotein B by kinetic (rate) nephelometry.J Lipid Res. 1982; 23: 893-902
- Medroxyprogesterone acetate and lipid metabolic changes.Arzneim-Forsch/Drug Res. 1987; 37: 573-577
- Effects of different progestogens on lipoproteins during postmenopausal replacement therapy.New Engl J Med. 1981; 304: 560-563
- Effects of progestins on plasma lipoproteins and heparin-releasable lipases.in: Bardin CV Milgröm E Mauvais-Jarvis P Progesterone and Progestins. Raven Press, New York1983: 411-420
- Cholesterol, high density lipoprotein and danazol.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1981; 53: 149-152
- Danazol and cholesterol metabolism.Lancet. 1979; 1: 931
- High density lipoprotein cholesterol and apolipoprotein Al levels in 32–33 year old women on steroid contraceptives — differences between two frequently used low-estrogen pills.Clin Chim Acta. 1981; 116: 223-229
- Effect of danazol on plasma lipid and lipoprotein levels in normal woman.Atherosclerosis. 1982; 43: 133-137
- Effects of danazol and lynestrenol on serum lipoproteins in endometriosis.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1980; 28: 602-604
- Profound alterations of the lipoprotein metabolism during danazol treatment in premenopausal women.Fertil Steril. 1984; 42: 52-57
- Lipoprotein changes during treatment of pelvic endometriosis with medroxyprogesterone acetate.Fertil Steril. 1980; 45: 503-506
- Diabetes, blood lipids, and the role of obesity in coronary heart disease risk for women.Ann Intern Med. 1977; 87: 393-397
- Incidence of coronary heart disease and lipoprotein cholesterol levels.in: The Framingham Study. J Am Med Assoc. 256. 1986: 2835-2838
- Studies of hypercholesterolemia in the non-human primate I: Changes that lead to fatty streak formation.Atherosclerosis. 1984; 4: 323-340
- Atherosclerosis: A problem of the biology of the arterial wall cells and their interaction with blood components.Atherosclerosis. 1981; 1: 291-311
- Diet induced hypercholesterolemia inhibits the recovery of prostacyclin production by injured rabbit aorta.Am J Pathol. 1982; 197: 186-190
Accepted: December 17, 1987
Received in revised form: October 23, 1987
Received: August 24, 1987
© 1988 Published by Elsevier Inc.