This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A survey based on a postal questionnaire sent to a random sample of Danish women aged 40–59 yr living on the island of Fünen (n = 401, response rate = 79%) revealed that the overall prevalence of the use of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) was 16%, the highest rate being in the 50–54 age group (21%). Among post-menopausal women the rate was 21% and it was highest of all (37%) in those who had undergone an artificial menopause. The median age at the start of treatment was 44.3 yr among the artificial menopause and 48.9 yr among the natural menopause subjects. About half of the women were treated with natural oestrogen alone and over a third with cyclic natural oestrogen in combination with progestogens.
Almost one-third of the women had consulted their doctor about climacteric complaints and two-thirds of these were current or past users of HRT. The women had ambiguous feelings towards HRT, approximately one third reporting a positive and one-third a negative attitude.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cancer risks from estrogen intake.NY State J Med. 1977; 77: 1069-1074
- Practice and patterns of estrogen treatment in climacteric women in a Swedish population.in: A descriptive epidemiological study. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 62. 1983: 289-296 (Part I)
- Laegemiddelstatistik Dansk Laegemiddelforbruget i Danmark. 1985: 72-73 (Copenhagen)
- Characteristics of menopausal women: A survey of King and Pierce counties in Washington, 1973–1974.Am J Epidemiol. 1975; 102: 209-216
- Postmenopausal estrogens - current prescribing patterns of San Diego gynecologists.West J Med. 1986; 144: 620-621
- Alderen for menopausens indtraeden.Ugeskr Laeger. 1985; 147: 3637-3641
- Physicians' judgment about estrogen replacement therapy for menopausal women.Obstet Gynecol. 1984; 63: 303-311
Accepted: October 1, 1987
Received in revised form: August 25, 1987
Received: March 12, 1987
© 1988 Published by Elsevier Inc.