This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Serum lipids and lipoproteins were assessed after treatment with 2 mg of oestradiol valerate (E2V) and 10 μg of ethinyl oestreadiol (EE) in a group of 24 oophorectomised women in a study with an open cross-over design.
E2V in this oral dose was quite inert in its effect on lipoprotein lipids. Ten micrograms of EE is a dose which in most women is sufficient to alleviate post-menopausal vasomotor symptoms. However, this low dose of EE increased serum triglycerides as a result of increased levels in the ultracentrifugally isolated lipoprotein fractions. Increased levels of serum and lipoprotein triglycerides are considered cardiovascular risk factors in women.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The Lipid Research Clinics coronary primary prevention trial results. II.in: The relationship of reduction in incidence of coronary heart disease to cholesterol lowering. J Am Med Assoc. 251. 1984: 365-374
- Lipid metabolic studies in oophorectomized women: effects induced by two different estrogens on serum lipids and lipoproteins.Gynecol Obstet Invest. 1980; 11: 161-169
- The significance of alterations in serum lipids in thyroid dysfunction. II.in: Alterations of the metabolism and turnover of 131I-low-density lipoproteins in hypothyroidism and thyrotoxicosis. Clin Sci. 29. 1965: 217-238
- Metabolic and hormonal effects of postmenopausal oestrogen replacement. II.in: Plasma lipids. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1977: 597-607
- Effects of long-term administration of estrogens on serum lipids of postmenopausal women.N Engl J Med. 1960; 263: 828-831
- Treatment of post-menopausal hypercholester olaemia with estradiol.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1979; 88: 83-88
- The effects of oophorectomy and long-term mestranol therapy on the serum lipids of middle-aged women.Clin Sci. 1971; 41: 597-603
- Comparative studies of the ethinyl estrogens used in oral contraceptives. VII.in: Effects with and without progestational agents on ultracentrifugally fractionated plasma lipoproteins in humans, baboons and beagles. Fertil Steril. 30. 1978: 522-533
- The effect of treatment with oestradiol and oestriol on fasting serum and cholesterol and triglyceride levels in postmenopausal women.Br J Obstet Gynecol. 1977; 84: 869-872
- Dose and duration effects of estradiol valerate on serum and lipoprotein lipids.Horm Metab Res. 1986; 18: 551-554
- Effect of bilateral oophorectomy and peroral estradiol valerate therapy on serum lipids.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1976; 14: 13-16
- Comparsion of the effects of ethinyl oestradiol and conjugated equine oestrogens in oophorectomized women.Clin Endocrinol. 1975; 4: 131-138
- The Tromsö Heart Study.in: High density lipoprotein and coronary heart disease. A prospective case-control study. Lancet. 2. 1977: 965-968
- High density lipoprotein as a protective factor against coronary heart disease.in: The Framingham Study. Am J Med. 62. 1977: 707-714
- Risk factors for ischaemic heart disease in men and women. 1985; 218: 207-211
- Triglycerides — main lipid risk factor for cardiovascular disease in women?.Acta Med Scand. 1985; 217: 481-489
- Fasting triglycerides as predictors of total and CHD mortality in Evans county, Georgia.J Chronic Dis. 1980; 33: 275-282
- Serum apolipoprotein and alpha-lipoprotein cholesterol levels in relation to acute myocardial infarction and its established risk factors in women.in: Thesis. University of Göteborg, Sweden1983
- Hyperlipidemia in peripheral atherosclerotic arterial disease.Acta Chir Scand. 1975; 141: 333-340
- Sex and atherosclerosis.in: Atherosclerosis reviews. 4. Raven Press, New York1979: 157-242
- Cholesterol and triglyceride distributions in an adult employee population: The Pacific Northwest Bell Telephone Company Health Survey.Lipids. 1980; 15: 895-903
- Hyperlipoproteinemia.in: Prevalence in a free-living population in Albany. 47. Circulation, New York1973: 558-566
- Estrogen induction of liver proteins and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol — a comparison between estradiol valerate and ethinyl estradiol.Gynecol Obstet Invest. 1986; 22: 198-205
- A comparison between effects of estradiol valerate and low dose ethinyl estradiol on haemostasis parameters.Thrombo. Haemostasis. 1988; (accepted)
- The effect of estrogen dose on postmenopausal bone loss.N Engl J Med. 1983; 309: 1405-1407
Accepted: August 22, 1988
Received in revised form: August 1, 1988
Received: February 26, 1988
© 1988 Published by Elsevier Inc.