This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
By means of a simple postal questionnaire, all women aged 60, 61 and 62 (n = 2015) living in the community of Linköping, Sweden, were screened for vasomotor symptoms and local vaginal complaints. After one reminder, answers were received from 73% of the women.
At the time of the survey (April 1986) all the women were post-menopausal, the median period since menopause being 11 yr. Slightly over one in four of the women (27%) were suffering from sweating and hot flushes. Ten percent (10%) of the women who were more than 15 yr post-menopausal still had moderate to severe climacteric symptoms. Vasomotor symptoms were significantly more common among oophorectomized women than among those whose ovaries were intact. Local vaginal symptoms were positively correlated with urinary problems, repeated urinary tract infections and a high risk of disturbance of sexual activity. It was concluded that climacteric symptoms often persist for more than 15 yr after the menopause.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Epidemiology of the climacteric syndrome.in: Campbell S The management of the menopause and the postmenopausal years. MTP Press, Lancaster1976: 11-23
- The menopausal syndrome.Br J Prev Soc Med. 1974; 28: 108-115
- Menopausal age and symptomatology in a general practice.J Biosocial Sci. 1973; 5: 1-82
- Relationships between psychological symptoms, somatic complaints and menopausal status.Maturitas. 1986; 8: 217-228
- Climacteric symptoms in an unselected sample of Swedish women.Maturitas. 1984; 6: 345-350
- Prevalence of genito-urinary symptoms in the late menopause.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1984; 63: 257-260
- Sexuality in the middle years.Obstet Gynecol Clin N Am. 1987; 14: 49-62
- Sexual behavior in a group of older women.J Gerontol. 1965; 20: 351-356
- The epidemiology of climacteric symptoms.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand Suppl. 1986; 134: 59-65
- Prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosis.Obstet Gynecol Clin N Am. 1987; 14: 63-76
Accepted: July 6, 1988
Received in revised form: March 26, 1988
Received: November 27, 1987
© 1988 Published by Elsevier Inc.