This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Clinical assessment of the severity and frequency of post-menopausal hot flushes can be made objectively by measuring the associated changes in skin conductance and skin and core temperature. Such measurements provide a more reliable index of the response to therapy than does subjective reporting which has been employed in the past. The design and use of a working analyzer is presented that is sufficiently simple, rugged, safe and portable to be used under normal clinical conditions to provide a permanent record of the attacks.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The menopausal syndrome.Br. J. Prev. Soc. Med. 1974; 28: 108
- Postmenopausal hot flushes: a disorder of thermoregulation.Maturitas. 1980; 2: 101-107
- Body temperature during menopausal hot flushes.J. Appl. Physiol. 1975; 3: 499
- Physiological aspects of menopausal hot flush.Br. Med. J. 1978; ii: 79
- Investigation of hot flashes by ambulatory monitoring.Am. J. Physiol. 1979; 237: 306
- Postmenopausal hot flashes: a disorder of thermoregulation?.Soc. Gyn. Invest. Abs. 1980; 84: 52
- Thermoregulatory changes following the menopause.in: Proc. Int. Symp. Thermal Physiol.1980 (Pecs (in press))
- On physical heat regulation and the sense of temperature in man.in: Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.45. 1959: 645
- Vasomotor symptoms, serum estrogens and gonadotropin levels in surgical menopause.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1976; 126: 165
Mulley, G. and Mitchell, J.R.A. Menopausal flushing: does estrogen therapy make sense? Lancet 1,1397.
- Uterine cancer and estrogen therapy.in: Estrogen Therapy: the Benefits and Risks. Front. Horm. Res.5. 1978: 101
Accepted: December 11, 1980
Received: November 18, 1980
© 1981 Published by Elsevier Inc.